MIGHT BE SAYING BYE TO MY Z :(

JEMAN

Hi all. Sadly I might give up my Z. Beautiful bodywork, but have several issues. Creeky clutch pedal when depressed that I've been told is something from inside the bell housing and the only way to regrease it is for it to come off, so I'm thinking loads of money for that. Both rear axles clicking like made, bush at the back knackered so also creeking, airbag warning light just come on, sixth gear crunches when going in and it's pinking when accelerate not even hard. The Z has been a fantastic car and I love every second I've driven in it, but now the worry, and I'm still on the original clutch47k on the clock. So cheapest thing first would be the bush at the back, then clicking axles but as for the rest of it £££££££££££. Would a remap cure the pinking ? But again remaps aren't cheap. It's a 2003

All I'll say is better the devil you know.

It will cost you money to get those things fixed but not as much as a new car might cost. The clutch I wouldn't worry about unless you've been abusing it heavily. Mines still on it's OEM clutch as far as I can tell (no receipts for change in service history) and I'm on 90K odd.

No idea if a remap would cure the pinking but yes they aren't cheap at around £400 first time around. Best off sorting the more immediate problems imo first. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Also the fact that when you advertise, its likely people will notice some of the issues themselves and it will look like a neglected car. May as well fix it all and enjoy it knowing that those issues are sorted for the foreseeable future?

• Like 2

I'm gonna be devils advocate and disagree......sling before you start trying to chin a chain of problems into submission using only your wallet.

Sometimes you have to know when to let go and let someone else chuck the grand or more that it needs at it.

If your car is a 2003 it is outside the bellhousing for greaseing the (slave cylinder? Can't remember it's name) quite easy to do yourself from underneath. As for the other jobs it sounds like you are being defeatist or have already made your mind up.

Sounds like a lot of bother and that can get you down when you love your car but they are really small things. I'm sure there is a sticky on here some where about clicking rear axels so why not have a look. Think it's a relatively easy job. Don't chuck in the towel just yet!

• Like 1

My clutch pedal was squeaking and I found a good article on 350z.com on how to get access and grease from under the car. I did it in about 10 mins and grease didnt cost much at all. All fixed for about £5!!

Also out of curiousity what is pinking? :wacko:

• Like 1

Try not to get overwhelmed by all the issues you have with the car. :bangin: Concentrate on one issue at a time and work through to a solution :yahoo:

Are you fuelling the car with unleaded or super unleaded??

Cheers guys. I've always used super unleaded in it. I've owned the car for about a year and six months. I'm going to hunt down the link for clearing the airbag warning light and see if it stays out. I'm tempted to try the axle click myself, but am a complete novice so that's in the balance at the mo. I think the bush will be a garage job, but will have to budget for it. Will the pinking do any damage ? I really can't spend hundreds on a remap with so many other issues to sort. The car is 11 years old now so I know the problems are all age related. The comments from you guys are firing up my desire to fix her, just gotta start one and carry on through. The Z is a fantastic car .......I'm not selling it as I know I just can't get anything that will give me that turn around look after parking her up lol

Cheers guys. Just a few pics of the old girl :)

imagejpg1_zps637f4b6d.jpg

imagejpg3_zps060b1502.jpg

imagejpg4_zps8bcc9c42.jpg

Edited by JEMAN
  • Like 2

I agree with gm, just had my clutch done, 92, 000 on the clock and Mitz assured me the old one was original, regarding the pinking, how about a simple engine tune as part of a major service, get clicking and bush done at the same time.

I don't see the need for remap unless you want extra performance and reading some recent posts even that is not a given.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

• Like 1

I'd get the "pinking" looked at first if I were you as a priority

Its usually caused by over advanced ignition timing or low octane fuel, thats why I asked what fuel you used.

If it goes unchecked it could cause engine damage

• Like 1

All I'll say is better the devil you know.

It will cost you money to get those things fixed but not as much as a new car might cost. The clutch I wouldn't worry about unless you've been abusing it heavily. Mines still on it's OEM clutch as far as I can tell (no receipts for change in service history) and I'm on 90K odd.

No idea if a remap would cure the pinking but yes they aren't cheap at around £400 first time around. Best off sorting the more immediate problems imo first. :thumbs:

What's pinking ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's really interesting davedutch and reassuring about the clutch. I didn't think you could tune the engine for some reason, so that's another way to go for sure. Will start to go round a few garages and get some prices. I don't drive the car hard at all and always stick to 2k revs at the most when cold or for the first 15 ish mins. The engine other than pinking when up to temp is fine with no nasty smoke or anything like that and feels strong. I've been using BP super unleaded 97 ron since I've had it

Cheers

Pinking is like a crackling noise from the engine when pulling..........sorry, but that's all I can use to describe it

Ok pinking will be on the first todo / Investigate........bit worrying