Got to hand back my driving license

350 Russ

Huge chance that his insurance provider would have declined the cover once they knew the DVLA took his license anyway mate.

Perhaps, but if they did the ombudsman would have a field day with them. Certainly none of the reputable guys would ever try something like that. My brother never had any issues with his.

Not trying to sound like an arse but thats why most brokers will ask "have you ever been declared unfit to drive by the dvla or advised not to by a doctor", I work for a broker and have seen declines with big name insurers because of something like this unfortunatly.

just gave them a call, and as i have no driving licence they said that they cannot insure the car to even just sit on the drive just incase of some event that require a claim, fire, theft, damage etc. So now i have to send all my certificates in and get shafted for £400, to any members that are insured with sky insurance (a trader on here) id seriously look into who you renew with. I know for a fact that they will never be getting another penny out me other tha the amount that I've been shafted for already. at least dick turpin wore a mask

Right, this is irritating me now.

Get them to put in writing that they won't insure you because you've been disqualified, and you've been disqualified by your doctor. Send that to the ombudsman and sit back and watch the fireworks.

Ask the DVLA if you've been disqualified, send that letter off too.

Utter moron, whoever you were speaking with.

• Like 1

Get them to put in writing that they won't insure you because you've been disqualified, and you've been disqualified by your doctor. Send that to the ombudsman and sit back and watch the fireworks.

I have just sent a message on here to them to request in writing that I'm uninsurable. Thanks for the help .

I'm sorry mate but you're wrong on this one. I'm litteraly sat at my desk in an insurance office and have just confirmed it with my collegues. If the "main driver" on an insurance policy is not going to be driving the car the company is well within right to decline cover.

Edited by nowhereboy

Also, I would argue your point is wrong too.

What if I insure my car, then on the first day I break my leg? Recovery time is 11mths, but I will get better. Would they be able to concel the policy then?

Or how about I insure the car but choose not to ever drive it, because it needs work or because I have another car instead?

Really c@#p news, my sister had similar twenty years ago, just over a year later all was well again with no reoccurance.

Regarding insurance it makes sense that if you don't have a current and valid license no one will insure you to drive, the sorn cover makes sense also sorn saves the cost of tax for period and if not taxed car can't be driven anyway.

Don't get too hung up on things you can't change and stay positive, this year will fly by.

• Like 1

Really c@#p news, my sister had similar twenty years ago, just over a year later all was well again with no reoccurance.

Regarding insurance it makes sense that if you don't have a current and valid license no one will insure you to drive, the sorn cover makes sense also sorn saves the cost of tax for period and if not taxed car can't be driven anyway.

Don't get too hung up on things you can't change and stay positive, this year will fly by.

I ve got no probs with no being insured to drive, it makes sense i can't drive anyway but to say they won't cover me to have the car on the drive incase the wind picks up and a roof tile falls on it, or it gets stolen etc. and also take half my £800 premium for one months cover, its just got on my t*ts.

Appreciate the get well though, thanks.

Just think that you are £250 better off by canceling and getting sorn insurance rather than sticking with an unnecessary ( and currently useless ) policy. Glass is half full :)

that said, anyone that doesn't treat you fairly deserves to be highlighted so others don't suffer the same treatment because 50% refund after just one month is unreasonable and worth contesting, pro rata less an admin charge would be fair and reasonable in the circumstances. I hope sky insurance read these posts and do the decent thing so as not to risk losing other custom.

but again, don't stress the small things and stay positive.

The insurance company's don't like you insuring a vehicle and not using it as you get no claims bonus without actually doing anything risky.

I`m not saying you cant just that they don`t like it.

You can buy the cheapest car to insure and just keep it in the garage to keep your no claims alive whilst you have a company car but they dont like it as its sort of makes a mockery of their stats.

In other words you could insure a log book if you hold the vin tags but if you tell them that your doing that they wont like it.

• 11 months later...

Holy thread revival batman!!!!!

The DVLA issued my new license on Wednesday after a torturous year! To say it was hell was being kind. Just need to get the zed insured and mot'd and we're off and running.

One question though, as they issued it in Wednesday and said it could take 3-5 working days to arrive am I ok to drive now or do I have to wait to physically have my license in my hand?

• Like 10

thanks for all the comments, i rang the DVLA when i got in from work and they said that i could drive as its on the system that i have a full license and says the same on the link that GIXXER posted, I've not long been back from my first drive and I loved it. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: First song that came on the radio was Rather Be by clean bandit which seemed quite apt :blush:

• Like 2