Square or small number plates.

JoshC

Recently had the front of my Z smoothed and sprayed so no front badge or plate holder holes and want to keep the front looking as smooth and clean as possible.

Was thinking maybe a square number plate mounted on the side somewhere? Not sure about using sticky pads as I'm afraid they'll damage the paint if I ever take them off. Any ideas?

If it's not an import then I wouldn't personally put a square plate on.

I'd go for a slightly smaller than OEM size, ...but not too small & keep the lettering/numbers all to legal size or you'll just attract unwanted attention from the Police. :thumbs:

I'd go for a slightly smaller than OEM size, ...but not too small & keep the lettering/numbers all to legal size or you'll just attract unwanted attention from the Police. :thumbs:

Do the imports have square plates mounted to the side then or in the centre? I'm more interested in leaving the front clean rather than the shape of the plate, just thought a square one could be mounted on the side of the bumper maybe?

Or get a Show n Go plate :thumbs:

I am tempted by one but not sure about the fit of them, I've seen they stick out a fair bit when fitted. Not sure if there's a way around this?

Do the imports have square plates mounted to the side then or in the centre? I'm more interested in leaving the front clean rather than the shape of the plate, just thought a square one could be mounted on the side of the bumper maybe?

Yes the import vehicles usually come with square plates.

If you like them though there is no reason why you can't fit one just make sure you don't block the front inlet for the radiator etc as I've seen that done a few times by our American cousins. :wacko::lol:

Good luck and don't forget to show off some pictures or let us know how you get on. :thumbs:

^^ You are slightly hindering air flow ATTAKZ to the radiator and engine then though.

Look's good I'll admit that but not for me. ;)

Never had a problem with cooling and, to my knowledge, nor did anyone else who did this :thumbs:

Cheers all! I think I might go back to just having it in the window like you say Ian! Used to do it in my old car for 2 years and never had a major issue with police, just a few questions and the old 'it fell off excuse worked' :)

I have a 'vanity' plate on the front of mine. I tried full size stick on plates, and because of the double curvature, they dont work, so if you want a stick on one, then you will have to go a little smaller than standard atleast. Iv had my plate on for over a year now, and never had an issue apart from people at work spent the first 6 weeks coming to tell me that my plate was illegal. Just remember you will need a 'proper' plate for your MOT.

Only just seen all these replies, cheers guys! Ian, how do you stick your plate on? Just number plate pads? Does it not damage your paint taking it on and off?

I did leave it without a plate for a few weeks until I got stopped 2 nights ago by a local traffic copper and was lucky to avoid a £100 fine. So given he's local and will no doubt not let me off next time I'm gonna have to get one on I think :(

I've been thinking a square import/bike type plate and mount it on an L or U bracket coming from one side of the front grill and then sitting in the space between the grill and front reflector? Has anyone done this or does anyone forsee any problems with it? Any ideas how best to mount a bracket there?

Two bits of double sided tape along the the two grille fins. Thought it might fall off but it's stayed on for over 2k miles! The tape I use is really good: http://www.halfords....tegoryId_255230

This is the plate I have: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SQUARE-FRONT-WHITE-NUMBER-PLATE-11-X-8-100-road-legal-Buy-it-Now-8-99-Each-/131195721141?

Edited by :RedZed: