On the hunt - question about a car thats been in storage..

Hi everyone,

Been on the hunt for a black on black 2005 or earlier for a little while now.

Posted on here about my failed attempt to travel to Northumberland only to find major rear end damage, joy.

Recently it has come to light I know someone with one that he has had in a warehouse for a while.

It has not been properly stored, just left in a warehouse for a few years surplus to requirements.

Can you highlight anything that might be a problem in this scenario?

The obvious ones that I can think of would be:

- seized calipers

- battery

- oil change before cranking for the first time?

- tyres (would sitting in the same spot cause a deformity in the tyre?)

If the black on black hunt does not go to plan, I'm guessing it wouldn't be too much hard work to swap out the steering wheel and gear knob/gaiter, just leaving the seats on the Alezan colour interior?

I don't mind the seats but the wheel and gearstick just puts me off! Oh and I just remembered, handbrake too..

Thanks for your help gents.

Phil.

Edited by mr_smith126

Check all tyres, seals, belts and hoses, being rubber they may have dried out over time and have gone brittle, none of these will be cheap to repair. Check underneath for signs that wildlife have chosen it as a new home, cars are very much liked by rodents.

edit: check tyre pressures and for flat spots too :)

edit edit: check brake lines too, they're rubber :) Fuel in the tank will be rubbish too, so you'll need to sort that out, supposedly high octane fuel starts to go horrible within 6 months or so.

Edited by AliveBoy

I think AliveBoy has covered most of what springs to my mind.

If I was thinking of buying it I would also factor in the price for; gearbox oil change, diff oil change, oil & filter change, power steering fluid change, coolant fluid change, brake fluid change and clutch fluid change. Not going to be cheap to do all of that but imo it needs doing.

Some of the fluids should be changed regardless of the miles covered every 2-3 years ~ take a look at the 350Z service schedule here; http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/31110-service-schedule-for-a-350z/

:thumbs:

All of your hydraulic fluids are going to need changing as they're hydroscopic (they absorb water and are then useless). If its not been run for a couple of years then I'd remove a couple of spark plugs, remove coil packs so it doesn't fire up and turn the engine over just to recoat the bores with oil. Then I'd reconnect everything and start it up, let it warm up so the oil becomes more viscous and the replace oil along the filter. Change gearbox oil and diff oil. If the tyres are not shot (cracks in the rubber around the sidewall) and they have plenty oft tread then flat spots can be run out after 50 to 75 miles or so. First and foremost you're going to need a new battery.

. If the tyres are not shot (cracks in the rubber around the sidewall) and they have plenty oft tread then flat spots can be run out after 50 to 75 miles or so.

Also, check inside the tread pattern for cracks. My original tyres had to be discarded as the rubber had started to perish within the treads.. Tyres should have a year of manufacture embossed into the side walls, if they're over 5 years old they should be replaced regardless of wear.

Pete

• Like 1

All of your hydraulic fluids are going to need changing as they're hydroscopic (they absorb water and are then useless). If its not been run for a couple of years then I'd remove a couple of spark plugs, remove coil packs so it doesn't fire up and turn the engine over just to recoat the bores with oil. Then I'd reconnect everything and start it up, let it warm up so the oil becomes more viscous and the replace oil along the filter. Change gearbox oil and diff oil. If the tyres are not shot (cracks in the rubber around the sidewall) and they have plenty oft tread then flat spots can be run out after 50 to 75 miles or so. First and foremost you're going to need a new battery.

I wouldn't trust the oil thats been left sitting there.... Oil Change before firing it up.

Fuel will have a very low octane level, top up with fresh

Would drop the oil, buy cheap and fill and drop again for a quality oil, just to flush the old oil out properly

Edited by GIXXERUK

Blinker Fluid need your blinker fluid changing, :stir:

Only use oem blinker fluid and take to dealer and insist they change it

OEM Nissan tyre air should be used too yah?

oh and check the flux capacitor as well :D