Anyone know Monaros?

Ekona

So yeah, as per the title really. Any one here a previous owner of a Monaro (either CV8 or VXR, any year) and care to share any tips on the experience?

Good or bad, and comparisons to the Zed would be very helpful.

My friend has one and it sounds lovely I have been out in it and also driven it. Just a slight blip on the throttle and you know about it back end can be a bit twitchy in certain conditions.

Here's his spec

Vauxhall Monaro VXR

6.0 ltr V8 LS2 Engine

He has had this work done within the last couple of years.

Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger

Wortec Headers & Hi-Flow Cats

Wortec Performance Exhaust with Switchable Backboxes (Quiet or Loud)

Pedders Extreme XA Coilovers

AP Racing Brakes, Front 6 Pot 363mm, Rear 4 Pot 342mm with Ferodo DS2500 Pads

Power & Torque

613bhp (485bhp at the wheels)

600ft lbs (475ft lbs at the wheels)

Here's a little clip from Germany

Edited by Dunks

Didn't realise Lexx had a Monaro as well, I only remembered the VXR8.

Dunks, that's pretty much the spec I was looking at, how did it compare to the Zed on the move? Thinking specifically in terms of the suspension, the ride, the turn in, the balance?

My friend has one and it sounds lovely I have been out in it and also driven it. Just a slight blip on the throttle and you know about it back end can be a bit twitchy in certain conditions.

Here's his spec

Vauxhall Monaro VXR

6.0 ltr V8 LS2 Engine

Power & Torque

It loses 130 bhp through the drive train? :scare:

• Like 1

Here's his spec

Vauxhall Monaro VXR

6.0 ltr V8 LS2 Engine

Power & Torque

Thats my Monaro :D , thought i'd sign up and help Dunks with any questions, i can't compare it with a 350Z though as Dunks still hasn't taken me out for a spin (oops maybe wrong word lol) but if i can answer any questions then i'm more than happy to :)

Edited by Granby
  • Like 1

Didn't realise Lexx had a Monaro as well, I only remembered the VXR8.

Dunks, that's pretty much the spec I was looking at, how did it compare to the Zed on the move? Thinking specifically in terms of the suspension, the ride, the turn in, the balance?

Ah, that maybe right on reflection :surrender:

Hi Grandby!

I'll just list some questions as I think of them, if that's okay?

How much stiffer (roughly) is the Pedders suspension than stock? Any reason you went for the Extreme over the other Pedders options?

Brakes upgrade a must-do? Road use only.

Do they have cruise control?

Any traction control? Is it obtrusive? Fully switchable?

Is the water ingress to the front arms, & rust because of, common?

When you get to 600bhp, does it overwhelm the chassis a bit? Or still well within comfort limits?

Any chance of a photo of the boot? As in the space, since you've got the version with the smaller one.

Stock seats offer much support on the shoulders?

Do you have to do much in the way of upkeep with regards to the SC conversion?

Thanks! :D

Standard suspension is quite soft and wallowing, i drove another car with the same Pedders setup and was more than impressed so went with that, the coil overs are firmer but not harsh and the car feels stable at unrestricted autobahn speeds

With this sort of power i thought its better to have the best brakes i could afford, standard brakes are OK but nothing special even with performance fiction pads

Cruise control is standard

It does have traction control but its very basic, it will let the wheels spin for about a second then just cut the power completely, but it can be switched off as can be seen in the above video in dunks post

Not sure what you mean about water ingress to the front arms as i've never heard of it, from Aus they don't have a lot of rustproofing but lots of people (me included) get them fully treated

With the Pedders setup and a few bushes uprated i don't think the power is too much for the chassis

Don't have any pics of the boot but yes it is small, the car will carry 4 people but only has a boot to carry luggage for one lol

Stock seats arn't too bad, they are armchairs but actually hold me better than my old scooby seats did

Nothing more than just normal servicing and plenty of visits for v-power

Edited by Granby

Excellent stuff, that's proper helpful, thanks Granby :thumbs:

With regards to the Scooby seat comparison, was that the STi seats by any chance? Only asking as we used to have one, so can make the comparison easily there.

Ah, not to worry. To be fair the seats are one of the easiest things to replace (assuming someone's made some runners for it, be amazed if the Aussies hadn't!) so not the end of the world.

Have you changed the stereo in yours at all? I'd be looking to put a double-DIN sat-nav unit ideally. I've had a quick search around and have seen there's a guy who does make the adaptor bracket, which is good to know.

Clive's launch on that video makes me miss my Impreza. :(

Granby's makes me want a Monaro next all the more though. :lol:

Same here a little. I had anti lag as well, ..made pretty much identical sound. :byebye:

The only thing I'll never miss though is the fact that it was not reliable at all. Mine spent more time on a low loader than on the actual road. :lol:

Same here a little. I had anti lag as well, ..made pretty much identical sound. :byebye:

The only thing I'll never miss though is the fact that it was not reliable at all. Mine spent more time on a low loader than on the actual road. :lol:

Yeah, mine nearly made me destitute keeping it on the road and mine wasn't even that heavily modified either. I certainly don't miss the bills! I still go weak at the knees when I hear the burble though, every time. :lol:

Sorry, I've taken this thread a bit :offtopic: