Biting the Bullet - Doing the clutch.

-Bradders-

As some of you may know my situation with my recent sucker purchase and the clutch going on the way home i've decided i'd rather do the work myself than pay someone else to do it, not because im selfish but because i saved several months to buy the car, now had to spend another £600 on parts almost so i'd rather save another few hundred quid.

Ok so i'm going to take on the challenge of doing my own clutch tonight, I've changed a clutch once before and that was on my Honda del sol B16, pretty straight forward.

I'm not mechanically shy and have a full set of useful tools, i've found a guide on 'how to' on a 350z tech page and considering i turbo'd my old honda from start to finish using a step by step guide on 'how to' lol they seem to work pretty well for me!

So i'll be doing the new clutch and the lightened flywheel there was suppose to be several volunteers to lend a hand, 2 which have dropped out this morning, madmike from here is coming to lend a hand at least thats one person with a zed lol.

Just kinda want any ifs and buts, do's and dont's kinda thing. anything to look out for, im pretty heavy handed and a professional at snapping bolts haha, muscle over mind is my problem.

Any help would be kindly and much appreciated, if anyone is feeling a little lonely or bored tonight and would enjoy shouting at a gearbox (i can only assume thats how it will end lol) feel free to come over to my garages and lend a hand! or if anyone has a ramp anywhere that is going spare that too would be amazing! I'm located in the ghetto, East London, however, my garages are very safe and i can assure you noone will steal your wheels!!

Again thanks in advance for any info.

Brad :)

• Like 2

Very straight forward swopping out the clutch and fly on a 350 providing you have all the tools and are mechanically minded.

The box is heavy so it is a 2 man operation and much easier on a ramp using a transmission jack.

Remember and drain and refresh the gearbox fluid.

It is a 4 hour job so doubt if you will finish it in an evening unless you work in to the small hours.

Good luck; :teeth:

Alex. :)

My dad, brother and I (about 48%/48%/4% contribution respectively!) changed my clutch with the car on jacks, it is a pain and as Alex said you probably need another jack under the car to support the gearbox with two guys working it as well. Took about 3 1/2 hours I think with a short sausage sandwich break in between - although both my dad and brother are car mechanics by trade so were not following a step by step guide as you might have to.

Good luck with it mate!

I think the general consensus is the Nissan fluid is the best with molyslip.

Pretty sure the normal Nissan gearbox oil is 75W-85 (either way it is the Nissan MT XZ one)

Edited by bamdc2

Hey Brad,

I've already got plans this evening, and tomorrow I'm back down in Surrey to try and resolve my exhaust issues.

Otherwise I would have come over to AT LEAST make cups of tea/coffee :lol:

I tend to snap bolts as well but always willing to learn and I try what I can.

It's worth getting the Nissan stuff, the gearbox feels better on it, and try some molyslip as well if it needs it. But for now, I imagine whatever you can find will do.

I'm sure you've spotted but if not:

http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/141-how-articles/66908-how-clutch-flywheel-install.html

http://my350z.com/forum/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction-diy/292139-diy-clutch-install-part-ii-jwt-clutch.html

Edited by RobPhoboS
  • Like 1

Absolutely ****ed it. So pi**ed off. Please someone do it. Only just finished 4am!!! Put it all together and its making some ****ed up noises and wont idle at all sits at like 100rpm then cuts out. Just wanna bin it caused me nothing but @*!# since day 1.

The noises are probably the solid flywheel if thats what you went for.

Is the tick over being affected by some sensor cable you left off/pulled off or is there a vacumn hose off or something like that.

Once you`ve rested take a step back and just look over everything carefully and check it all looks right.

Did the box go back in easily ? In other words did it all line up with the spigot bearing in the flywheel and slip up easily to the back of the engine or did you pull it up by doing up the bolts ?

Few things to check and think about.

Worse case senario you can take it back out again as you will be surprised how quick it will be second time around as you now know what needs to be taken off.

Good luck, dont lose heart. You`ve got this far and every day is a school day mate. Your`ll get there in the end :thumbs:

• Like 5

Did you put the flywheel on the right way.......it says on the box 'this can be fitted 4 ways.......only one is right'.

Pretty sure it would do what your describing if you got it wrong

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Did you put the flywheel on the right way.......it says on the box 'this can be fitted 4 ways.......only one is right'.

Pretty sure it would do what your describing if you got it wrong

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

That's what I was trying to establish :thumbs:

I think that's what has happened.

• Like 2

Fair play for attempting this on your own, and when its all sorted the sense of achievement will be immense. As previously said, doing something like this the first time is a pain, but after a good nights sleep, and a fresh pair of eyes, you will be surprised how quick and easy it is to do the same job again.

Good luck to you, and keep your chin up. :thumbs:

• Like 2