Apple Macbook, MacPro, iMac & IOS Tips, Tricks & Software Thread

Neilp

Ive run adware virus scanner and deleted everything that threw up. I use my computer fpr work and it has thousands of files i dont knownwhat they are... Lol

Ill do more digging on it tonoght.

It won't be a file, though, it'll be a program/application. It may also appear as a duplicate to something genuine, so check the dates and delete the brand new one.

Because of the way OS X works, you need to actively "install" adware/malware, so in order to trick people into do this, they commonly mask themselves as common app updates that people (including me in the past) will blindly accept and install. Have a think back a few days to see if there was anything you updated, especially if it popped up whist browsing etc.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I still have my old Mid 2009 macbook pro I use daily, just added more memory (8gb now haha) and replaced the battery myself rather than pay Apple £100 for the privilege of the five minute job. Runs great again, very impressed!

Anyway, missus has a similar aged iMac that she wants shot of and replaced with a Windows PC (yes I know...I know...) but she has a small iTunes library so:

1. Can you simply copy the library over to the PC, de-authorise her iTunes account on the Mac, install iTunes on her PC and it should all link up fine?

2. Anyone recommend where to sell off this Mac quickly and easily i.e. a business that buys old Macs?

That's pretty much it.

Personally, I'd not deauthorise my Mac iTunes library (or decommission it in any way) until I had the PC account running. iTunes can be a PITA on windows and IIRC you can authorise multiple machines (I think it's 5) simultaneously, so no need to deauthorise first.

Also, before doing anything I'd make sure I went through the library on my Mac and made sure it was set to 'keep library organised' and 'copy files to iTunes media folder' so you know you've got the whole lot when you copy it over.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204668

For question 2, I'd keep the mac for when she decides to come back ;)

To be honest she has about 20 songs on it which she has bought, and barely uses it. She got it second hand last year and just cannot get on with it. So there is not much to actually copy over. I just wanted to capture everything I could but also ensure any passwords/information she has entered is not retained when sold on. It should be a nice little bit of pocket money when she sells it.

Ah, for that many, then a simple sign in on the new iTunes and redownload those few will be the easiest way (if she's bought all the music from the iTunes Store).

Might be a daft suggestion, if she thinks there will be some cash left over after selling up and buying a new windows machine, but you could always just pop windows on there. I know a couple of folk who love mac hardware but install Linux or windows instead of MAC OS.

The mac is painful slow, she doesn't like it, equivalent macs are going for £150 or something like that on ebay. Also its an iMac, she needs a laptop.

I love my Mac, hence my efforts to save it over Christmas treating it to hardware upgrades (even though shes knocking on 8 years old now!) but Rebecca hates hers, personal views I guess!

• Like 1

I tried Numbers a few years back but with some much hooked up into Excel it was a pain that a few things didn't quite transfer back and forth as well as I would have liked. Think I uninstalled it all in the end to free up 10GB or whatever it was. I always have my work PC to hand so generally use that instead.

I admit I am an excel geek, my team constantly badger me to create stuff for them in it to make their lives easier...stupid thing is I just love doing it! Nice to take a break from whatever I am doing and get hands dirty working through making something cool in excel!

• 2 weeks later...

I am apparently due an upgrade on my iPhone 6. Its in immaculate condition, but battery is obviously not holding as much charge as it used to. Looking at iPhone 7 reviews there are some marginal upgrade such as the quad processor and screen. I am wondering if a 7 Plus is worth it or just stick with my 6 and reduce my monthly bills? (Appreciate this is slightly off topic..!)