Another Which Tyre thread --- Choice of these 2

flyboy

New 20" wheels chosen and tyre choice to be made.

These

Falken-Ohtsu Azenis FK453 275/30 ZR20 97Y XL with rim protection (MFS) BSW asymmetric BSW

£ 154.90

Falken-Ohtsu Azenis FK453 245/35 ZR20 95Y XL with rim protection (MFS) BSW asymmetric BSW

£ 143.90

Total amount 4 £ 597.60

or these

Vredestein ULTRAC SESSANTA 275/30 ZR20 97Y XL with rim protection ridge (FSL) BSW BSW

£ 212.70

Vredestein ULTRAC SESSANTA 245/35 ZR20 95Y XL with rim protection ridge (FSL) BSW BSW

£ 176.90

Total amount 4 £ 779.20

IMO Sessantas look better and are nearly twice as quiet (5db) to boot but are £200 more

Never going to track it but will be driven in all weather.

Opinions please.

Edited by flyboy

Standard price from ATS for michelin is £1000, but in store they are doing £50 off per two tyres and also £50 fuel cards per two tyres. I found last week that going in store was cheaper than online with them. They were also the cheapest I could find for the Michelin's. Helps that they are owned by them. Lol.

Hold on, should we be asking what type of driving he does, what's mods he has on his car, what mods he plans for his car, his age, his date of birth, chest size, inside leg measurement, hand span, mother's maiden name, starsign etc before recommending the Michelin's to him. Just don't want to anger StevoD again! :shrug:

Edited by The Bounty Bar Kid

I got 4 MPSS's in 19's fitted for £900 from my local HiQ, which I thought was a good price, especially when you factor in getting the tyres delivered, then getting them to the tyre place etc etc. If you can stretch to them, then I would say you would not be disappointed, I coudnt believe how much more grip and feel they offered over the Falken 452's that I had on there previously.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the input so far but

These are ZR 20 tyres 20" not 19" that I have priced up.

The 20" MPSS are way more expensive than these prices.

This is why I have chosen these 2 as they are good value and fairly good products.

£90 more for the MPSS would seem to be a bargain, especially considering you'll get approx 30% more miles out of them at least. But each to their own.

If it were me, I'd pick the VUS out of your choice of two. Bit slippy in the wet, but loads of feedback so that may influence your choice.

New 20" wheels chosen and tyre choice to be made.

These

Falken-Ohtsu Azenis FK453 275/30 ZR20 97Y XL with rim protection (MFS) BSW asymmetric BSW

£ 154.90

Falken-Ohtsu Azenis FK453 245/35 ZR20 95Y XL with rim protection (MFS) BSW asymmetric BSW

£ 143.90

Total amount 4 £ 597.60

or these

Vredestein ULTRAC SESSANTA 275/30 ZR20 97Y XL with rim protection ridge (FSL) BSW BSW

£ 212.70

Vredestein ULTRAC SESSANTA 245/35 ZR20 95Y XL with rim protection ridge (FSL) BSW BSW

£ 176.90

Total amount 4 £ 779.20

IMO Sessantas look better and are nearly twice as quiet (5db) to boot but are £200 more

Never going to track it but will be driven in all weather.

Opinions please.

In order to impress Ekona, i'd go for one of each. :)

• Like 1

db scale is exponential like the richter scale so if they half the db's then they'll be far far more quieter.

Edited by Flex

db scale is exponential like the richter scale so if they half the db's then they'll be far far more quieter.

Every 3db increase doubles the volume

Therefore 5db quieter will be nearly 1/3 of the volume of the louder one.. hence twice as quiet. NOT half the db

Edited by flyboy

£90 more for the MPSS would seem to be a bargain, especially considering you'll get approx 30% more miles out of them at least. But each to their own.

If it were me, I'd pick the VUS out of your choice of two. Bit slippy in the wet, but loads of feedback so that may influence your choice.

Where are MPSS £90 dearer for 20" tyres? and is this across 4 tyres or each corner?

If its £90 in total then its a no brainer.

Why are you running different profiles front to back? Just wondered. :dry:

Profile is decided by width. Many cars run different profiles front to back.

Oh, I thought it was all done to keep the rolling radius around the same so it didn't throw the speedo out too much... Guess that shows what I know.

The profile is a percentage of the std wall height which is related to the width of the tyre.

The wider you go the lower profile you have to go to ensure the rolling radius of the front (narrow) and back (wide) are the same.

Unless you have different diameter wheels front and back which is not unheard of ie 19" on the back and 18" on the front.

Edited by flyboy

The profile is a percentage of the std wall height which is related to the width of the tyre.

Oh, I thought it was all done to keep the rolling radius around the same so it didn't throw the speedo out too much... Guess that shows what I know.

It's just a percentage measurement of the width of the tyre. So a 275 / 35 / 19 tyre simply means the profile/sidewall is 35% of the width of the tyre.

EDIT - Reading your post back again and then spotting someone else already answered you I'm not sure my post helped much if at all Oh well lol :blush:

Edited by .Griff.

It's just a percentage measurement of the width of the tyre. So a 275 / 35 / 19 tyre simply means the profile/sidewall is 35% of the width of the tyre.

Ah okay, good to have an explanation. Thanks :thumbs:

• Like 1

"Mr Pedantic" says

Actually the 35 profile means its 35% of the height of a std height tyre for that width. Not 35% of the width. :thumbs:

Otherwise a 275 35 R20 side wall would be 96mm high

Edited by flyboy