May have got a speeding ticket

Rock_Steady

you never know, almost 80 = maybe 78 indicated on the speedo? in which case actual speed might be around 74 maybe? you might well get away with it at that speed.

If you were doing an indicated 90 then that's probably a ticket, but you might be lucky, fingers crossed!

I doubt you'll get anything, tbh.

Ask yourself this though: Was it really worth doing just under 80mph with the risk that you'll get the three points, or would you rather just stick to 75mph on the speedo and never have to worry about points again?

I doubt you'll get anything, tbh.

Ask yourself this though: Was it really worth doing just under 80mph with the risk that you'll get the three points, or would you rather just stick to 75mph on the speedo and never have to worry about points again?

In all honesty I really wasn't paying attention. I was originally doing 75 but a slightly heavy shoe made all the difference, Or maybe my socks were too thick. All adds to the weight. I hadn't planned to do 77 mph.
  • Like 1

Correct, if they have got you its a £60 fine and 3 points. Unless you get offered the speed awareness course which is no points, no obligation to tell your insurer and roughly £80 cost to do it.

I did this course 2 years ago, I was doing 33 in 30 zone, I know such a badass lol anyway on the end of this course I was clearly informed that I still need to inform my insurer about that. You probably won't be charged anything by your insurer but like I was told just to be on a safe site better let them know that accident like that happened.

on the way to the in-laws yesterday was doing almost 80 on the dual carriage way, saw Hawaii five O hiding in a layby in a van. Think they got me bang to rights. So what's that? a £60 fine and 3 points? :thumbdown:

If you were going slightly over 70 you might be offered a speed awareness course but anything more than 75 I am guessing it is as you said £60 fine and 3 points plus later some extra money for your insurance for next 3 or 5 years can't remember right now for how long it stays in your records...anyway for me this is a big joke, like it is not enough that you just have to pay a fine plus you get points and they still try to rip you off.

Correct, if they have got you its a £60 fine and 3 points. Unless you get offered the speed awareness course which is no points, no obligation to tell your insurer and roughly £80 cost to do it.

I did this course 2 years ago, I was doing 33 in 30 zone, I know such a badass lol anyway on the end of this course I was clearly informed that I still need to inform my insurer about that. You probably won't be charged anything by your insurer but like I was told just to be on a safe site better let them know that accident like that happened.

Its a discussion we have had several times on this club. In my course the instructor said several times you don't have to tell your insurers as the course is an alternative to taking the traditional points, fine and more insurance.

The end result of the discussions is that you don't have to call your insurers up and tell them, but you shouldn't lie to them if they call you up (such as on renewal) and ask if you have attended a course.

• Like 1

I'm sure you'll be fine. The threshold for the speed awareness course is pretty high. You'd probably have to be doing over 79 for them to even bother (Although the radar wouldn't care) and as long as you weren't doing more than 30% over the limit you will get the option of a naughty boy (And girl) course. Over 30% is an instant fine and points (Or court appearance depending on how fast you were going).

As far as receiving the letter, usually within 2 weeks... The police are pretty efficient in sending these out, so I would expect it in a short amount of time.

• Like 1

If they ask you are obliged to tell them , some insurance companies like Admiral are still loading policies for SAC.

If they ask you are obliged to tell them , some insurance companies like Admiral are still loading policies for SAC.

Yeah, that's what I said later on (few posts further down) :)

The companies shouldn't be loading policies but 90% of them are money grabbing %$£&%*%$!". Happily when I did mine (which was mobile phone awareness) my insurers never have since asked about it, and the points are no longer valid. In fact, on my next renewal I wont even have to declare it at all as it will be 5 years :)

Admiral can go fook themselves as it's no ones business other than you and plod. They can't find out and it's made quite clear in the course that the matter is settled and spent once you have completed it

Also another get out clause, if you get caught speeding in one county, and are told to go on the course etc, if you then sped in a different county, they have no record of your previous course and offer it to you again :lol: