May have got a speeding ticket

Rock_Steady

I was doing an indicated 36mph on the digi read out today. Saw the van at the side of the road and slowed down to 30 on the digi read out. Van clocked me at a real speed of 33MPH or so I reckon. Maybe more and maybe less.

I'm awaiting my letter in the post as well now. :-(

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Would you get a ticket for overtaking in the right hand lane of a motorway? I went to overtake and as I was doing so clocked a speed van that I couldn't see until it was already too late as it was hidden by a lorry in the left lane. I'd say I was doing around 80mph.

Edited by pjf1985

I don't get why you were doing 36 in a 30. I really don't get that at all.

Not a rant, not preaching, I just cannot understand why.

Pure stupidity mate. I always do 30MPH down that road. Always. The one day I let the fact it's a hill coast the car down it is the day the coppers get me.

No woe is me though, not after any sympathy and I was technically breaking the law whether I was doing 31MPH or 131MPH.

Ah well. Wait and see now! Might have been done, might be lucky.

I would never take a ticket for 31mph, I find it hard to believe tbh. Your speedo isn;t 100% accurate and neither is their gun so no way could they argue over 1mph. If you fart in the Zed you can god up 5 mph never mind 1.

• Like 1

Admiral can go fook themselves as it's no ones business other than you and plod. They can't find out and it's made quite clear in the course that the matter is settled and spent once you have completed it

Also another get out clause, if you get caught speeding in one county, and are told to go on the course etc, if you then sped in a different county, they have no record of your previous course and offer it to you again :lol:

That was before each constabulary joined their databases together and S.A.C details are retained for 3 years now...plus another 2 for research.

Pete

All speedo's overread, by law they cannot underread and things like tyre wear will affect what they display so they are set high int he first place. So if you are showing 31 mph, you arent getting nicked ;)

As for the OP, unlucky, I take it those berating you havent ever noticed that EVERYTHING does 80 mph on the motorway anyway. Ive passed the old bill at higher speeds than that as thats what the traffic I was in was doing, its hardly crime of the century.

I am in the US,.. so this is interesting to me.

As I'm sure most of you know the Cops here are insane, and frankly thugs most of the time.

But.. it seems like the silver lining is we get a little more leeway in regards to a "buffer" zone over the posted speed limit (99 percent of the time anyway)..

I see going 33-35mph in a 30mph zone for example is grounds to be considerably worried for a ticket, points and all that go with it.. :(

In the US, in general,.. You are always given 5mph over by 99.9% of police.. and a great percentage will give you 10mph -- and at 11mph over will always ticket.

Now this doesn't necessarily mean in a 30mph zone you can go 40mph and be fine.. But 65 in a 55 is usually ok.. (about 50/50).. but 62 in a 55.. you don't have to worry about it.

On the interstate (70mph speed limit here) -- I generally cruise it about 75-77mph... but I'm more conservative than most out there averaging 85mph a clear 15 over.. If you are going 82 in a 70.. you probably aren't going to get ticketed unless the cop is in a speed trap and hasn't had any good hits on the radar (or LIDAR) for a while .. Go 77mph in a 70.. your fine. 75mph in a 70.. I'd pay your ticket if you got pulled over.. it's that rare.

Here's an example article that sort of speaks on this..

http://www.norwalkreflector.com/article/3293516

Don't misunderstand me.. the US is TERRIBLE about pulling people over everywhere.. we have more police per capita than just about anyone.. and if you live in a reasonably low crime area you better believe they are focused on speeding and other relatively "minor crimes" to pull people over.

Also,.. Speeding is speeding.. it's up to the Cop,.. Technically they can grab you at 1mph over .. And some cops are just highly anal and will get you at 75 in a 70 (while 12 cars pass you going 85mph)..

Where I live general speeding is like this.. Under 25mph over posted limit on a regular road (not a school zone, construction zone, etc) is $180. Then over 25mph = $200 . Reasonable prices imo esp. for 25mph over. Now $180 for going 72 in a 70 zone is not so great if you don't do a Defensive Driving class/school adjudicated by the judge.

Though.. If you are going 25mph over the cop has the discretion to easily say you get the ticket $200 + another ticket for "reckless driving".. ($660 fine + mandatory Court appearance.)

Anyhow.. I'm on topic, but likely boring you guys haha.. This is from a city where I live (I live in a County, but also a City (two cities lol.. ).. all at once). You guys might find it interesting to see the charges and *general* fines for them.

Anything listed on this is an offense that does not require a court appearance and can be paid and essentially is legally like you going to court and pleaing guilty.

http://www.hooveral.org/DocumentCenter/View/49

Is it that rough all over the UK? Or is it more under discretion.. some roads going 34 instead of 30mph IS dangerous to you and others.. and some roads the speed limit is just too low (We have more of that due to how generally how big the US is.. )

I ask because I like police who use that discretion .. where it really is dangerous well it should be ticketed no matter .. But in other areas the same officer would give more leniency due to the road properties itself.

Again, g'luck!

• Like 1

Speedo read 36MPH on the digi so that may have been an actual 33mph. Maybe more. Maybe less. Time will tell. Wait and see.

I have done extensive Datalogging on this in the Zed. As I am tuning my Zed now.. almost finished with it.. I get the real time readings of BOTH speed sensors our Zeds have. (Yes, they have two.. and they both are slightly different (vary usually about .1 to .3 tenths of a mile an hour.).

And the Analog and Digital Readout in our cars is ALWAYS high. Though it's not as high as 3-4 mph. It is .5mph to 1 mph Higher than the true speed you are going. (Of course this is from dozens of hours of ECU data logging with Cipher on MY car only,.. I would anticipate this would apply to all the Zeds.

I do believe they calibrate the Speedometer and Digital Readout to = Speed Sensor + X. Which again is from 0.5 mph to 1 mph HIGHER (on the speedometer/dig. readout) than the actual speed of the 350.

I like this.. as it gives you a tiny bit of room in these cases in your favour, but not so much that your speedometer is vastly inaccurate .. if it were 3-5 mph higher than true speed it would annoy me, "Personally". ;)

Here in the U.K the main "problem" is not the police but the speed cameras that take photos, both fixed and mobile and there's plenty of them. If you get photographed then that's it, you'll get a ticket, if however the police catch you speeding by either following you or taking a hand held roadside reading they have the discretion of giving you a good telling off or ticketing you, if you eat humble pie you've got a fair chance of getting away with it. Keep in mind that in The U.K Police cars are not fitted with forward facing speed cameras so they can't log the speed of oncoming traffic.

Generally speaking you are allowed 10% plus 2 mph, so 35 in a 30 limit, 57 in a 50 limit and so on but this is not set in stone, you can get a ticket at 10% above the speed limit and I've heard stories of getting tickets at less than that. Each Police area will have its own rules .

I believe its much worse in parts of The European continent...France is especially bad I've heard.

Pete

Edited by JetSet
  • Like 1