Hello from a prospective Z owner in North Cornwall

Hi all,

Long-time 350Z fan here, circumstances have finally allowed me to trade up from my perfectly pleasant but utterly uninspiring 05 3dr Focus :) Being somewhat out in the sticks in the wilds of North Cornwall options are often limited - I don't really have the time to disappear across the country, unfortunately - but a few options have presented themselves reasonably locally, and I was hoping for a little bit of guidance/advice!

I'll be going to see a rather gorgeous 54 plate Azure GT with all the usual toys (Rays, Bose, leather, etc etc) on Saturday. Low miles (44k), unmolested, looks to be a lovely example. BUT it's at a dealer, and the price seems rather on the high side to me, even given the mileage and the colour (which I understand commands a slight premium - correct me if I'm wrong!). It was initially up for £9450, was recently reduced to £8750 and that still feels steep, however I've had a brief conversation with a sales exec at the dealer and the suggestion was they'd be willing to come down a chunk - there's a clearance event on this weekend and it sounds like the car has been there a while longer than they'd like, so they're pretty interested in moving it on. I've done a fair whack of research but pinning a value on these things seems bloody tricky - beyond "oh god I don't want to pay that" - so any suggestions are welcome :)

On the other hand there are a couple higher mileage motors available privately, an 04 (99k) and a 53 (120k) both in silver at £4500 and £5000 respectively. Both GT spec (04 has standard wheels/black leather, 53 has rays/burnt orange leather). Both seem to have been maintained well, and I wouldn't exactly be unhappy with either one.

I'm not too put off by the mileage as many would be, but would prefer lower miles if possible, and if the price gulf isn't too dramatic. The Azure would come with a 12 month warranty and RAC cover, but I'm not sure what its value actually is. Would trying to get a deal on that be a good idea, vs getting a cheaper higher miles car and having some budget left over for some immediate maintenance/TLC?

Thanks,

Nick

Welcome to the forum Nick. Sounds like a good example to me, especially at that mileage with warranty and breakdown cover thrown in. Also good that they're willing to budge on the price some more. I'm sure someone will be along shorty who knows more about 350Z prices. Have you had a look at Parkers guides at all?

Hey Nick, welcome to the forum. My Zed came from a dealer on a '04 plate, Azure Blue, all the toys, GT version with 73k on the clock 2 years ago and I paid £6995 with full NSH and a 3 month warranty (which I used to get an offside window motor). A lot depends on how much the dealer is prepared to move. He's had it for a long time because at £9450 it's GT4 money and well overpriced. Even £8750 is too much. At a stretch I'd pay £8K if it was perfect. Can you use worn tyres, paint chips (especially on the front bumper & bonnet) etc as bargaining tools? Low mileage is its biggest selling point. Have you looked on www.pistonheads.co.uk for comparisons, they usually have 75 or so for sale. Hope this helps.

Hi, I'm in Cornwall/Devon so firstly hello to a local member lol, secondly the price seems way too much for the first one! The two others aren't as bad though. The warranties are usually rubbish from lesser big name dealers tbh, but something's better than nothing even though somewhere they'll be including this in the price. If you need any advice or anything with local ones let me know ;)

Thanks all for the welcomes and the info!

I've looked through and over all kinds of guides and websites (the 04 I mentioned is on PH, the 53 on eBay and the Azure is.. all over the place!) so I think I've got a vague handle on values, it was just that there don't seem to be any examples comparable to the Azure up for sale right now so I had nothing to compare it to, just a feeling that it was probably rather overpriced :p I had no idea by how much (or how little), so thanks to samsniss and Almeida for giving me something to compare to, and everybody else that's offered a viewpoint :)

I'll use whatever I can to knock the price down at the dealer, odds are I'll probably have to walk away but if nothing else I should get a nice test drive out of the afternoon!

Hi Nick and :welcome: to the forum.

I reckon the 54 Azure is at least £2k overpriced.

Don't be tempted because its near to home and its the first one you go to see

Don't get ripped off by dealers!

4 months ago I bought a 57 HR 30k miles for less than the initial price of that car, although it was a private sale.

The car has been great and has no issues whatsoever.

So, although you're out on a limb geographically and don't want to travel around the country, my advice would be to bide your time until you

find a good value Zed.

I was on the lookout for about 4 months until I made a move

The right one will turn up.......just be patient

Welcome to the forum :wave: Have you looked on the Z's for sale section to see if anything to compare with.

Yeah, gleaned a bit of info though there wasn't anything directly comparable.. just spotted the "What's it worth" section and there seems to be a bunch of people looking for Azure values, some helpful info in there so cheers for sorta pointing me in that direction :)

Hi Nick and :welcome: to the forum.

I reckon the 54 Azure is at least £2k overpriced.

Don't be tempted because its near to home and its the first one you go to see

Don't get ripped off by dealers!

4 months ago I bought a 57 HR 30k miles for less than the initial price of that car, although it was a private sale.

The car has been great and has no issues whatsoever.

So, although you're out on a limb geographically and don't want to travel around the country, my advice would be to bide your time until you

find a good value Zed.

I was on the lookout for about 4 months until I made a move

The right one will turn up.......just be patient

Thanks, yeah you're quite right on waiting for the right one. I can travel if absolutely necessary but obviously the closer one is the easier it is to view etc. We'll see, I'm in no particular rush - I've been lusting after zeds for ten years now, a few months here or there won't kill me :lol: