Amateur Photography Thread 2

DoogyRev

These are nowhere near the standard of some of the pics on here - just taken with an inexpensive Sony compact but I like em. They were all taken at about 6 this morning. The Parrakeet was taken at full zoom at the top of a tree. They've colonised the SW London area for some years but it's still a bit odd when you look out of window and see tropical birds in the garden :)

63b63e9cf5a12f41a62faaa2f37af2de_zpsetkenv1d.jpg

d2b7fac748729a703af63c0afc94cb4f_zpsdlccvlid.jpg

ae97098febcaa1c82dea7b98ec64d889_zpshrcjgnax.jpg

14d9fe1afc84ab21c16a94313fe1e371_zpsfejwztd7.jpg

Edited by sipar69

• 7 months later...

Been playing with some shots I got with the new toy (Olympus EM-5 + pancake kit lens), really good bit of kit, really impressed with the image quality, especially given how small/cheap the kit lens is. However doesn't stop me wanting to spend more £££, the Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 lens is on the shopping list :).

24226502783_bb6ccf58dd_c.jpg

24735437742_72dbd3b134_c.jpg

24224471504_f29ee64bf0_c.jpg

24485540369_c224b04073_c.jpg

24826433196_ef1128bfb5_c.jpg

24224665784_207778ac65_c.jpg

• Like 10

• 3 months later...

Don't know if you've already seen the Google Nik Collection, but its a suite of filter plug-ins available for Lightroom, Photoshop or Aperture.

It used to cost around £100 but is now available for FREE download!! :yahoo:

I've been playing with it for the last couple of weeks and there is some good stuff in it.

https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

• Like 2

Don't know if you've already seen the Google Nik Collection, but its a suite of filter plug-ins available for Lightroom, Photoshop or Aperture.

I've been playing with it for the last couple of weeks and there is some good stuff in it.

I got this a couple of weeks ago too. Great isn't it

image.jpg2_zpsmgde1evw.jpg

image.jpg3_zpschkx87qo.jpg

Edited by steve916
  • Like 1

Been playing with some shots I got with the new toy (Olympus EM-5 + pancake kit lens), really good bit of kit, really impressed with the image quality, especially given how small/cheap the kit lens is. However doesn't stop me wanting to spend more £££, the Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 lens is on the shopping list :).

24226502783_bb6ccf58dd_c.jpg

reaaly like this one :thumbs:

Still trying to get my head around it Steve, so much stuff to try out.

Another bargain .....Photoshop Elements 14 has just dropped from 70 quid down to 39.99!!

• Like 1

Still trying to get my head around it Steve, so much stuff to try out.

Another bargain .....Photoshop Elements 14 has just dropped from 70 quid down to 39.99!!

I love the B & W stuff on there

just trying to figure out the best one to get for taking photographs of the stars.

For general pictures of the sky at night a wide-angle is best. I use a 10-20mm Sigma.

The faster the lens the better (large aperture) as you can use shorter exposures to prevent star trails.

A 50mm f1.8 is fine. Small, lightweight and cheap or just try what you've got already.

Expect to stop down a few stops to get acceptable performance

Telephotos are great for large nebulae and the Milky Way star clouds.

• Like 2

just trying to figure out the best one to get for taking photographs of the stars.

For general pictures of the sky at night a wide-angle is best. I use a 10-20mm Sigma.

The faster the lens the better (large aperture) as you can use shorter exposures to prevent star trails.

A 50mm f1.8 is fine. Small, lightweight and cheap or just try what you've got already.

Been looking at this myself, main problem I have is light pollution so hoping when the nights draw in to go a little further away from towns/cities.

Got a few interesting time lapse videos using GoPro from my back garden though.

Been looking at this myself, main problem I have is light pollution so hoping when the nights draw in to go a little further away from towns/cities.

Got a few interesting time lapse videos using GoPro from my back garden though.

Stick 'em up Fodder lets have a look then.

@350Zedd I'll need to create a video sharing account somewhere. Will take a look tonight.

Ok, no pressure, just thought if you had it handy thats all. Leave it, if its too much hassle :)

@350Zedd I'll need to create a video sharing account somewhere. Will take a look tonight.

Ok, no pressure, just thought if you had it handy thats all. Leave it, if its too much hassle :)

I've been meaning to sort something out anyway. Just don't expect anything thats going to blow your mind, I just love seeing the movement of the stars/clouds etc

If I get chance tonight I'll give it a shot, I'm guessing YouTube is my best bet...

Edit: didn't get chance as had other stuff to sort. Will try for tonight.

Edited by Fodder
  • Like 1

Ok so as requested this is a trial in progress but here are some time-lapse video's I've done, no sound, no fancy editing so please don't be too critical... I also know that this is somewhat OT :)

GoPro 4 black:

Settings

Night lapse

White balance 3k

ISO varies but as low as I can

Exposure again varies but most of these will be around 30s which does introduce some blur.

All of these will be recorded over several hours