Cannot Remove Water Marks???

Darren350

Guys,

Last week I washed, polished and waxed my Kuro 350. I used Megs Scratch X followed by DJ Purple Haze.

Today I washed the car again as it was dirty from all the rain we have had the last week. I used the two bucket method. And here is where I think I fecked up...

Instead of drying it straight away I drove to the local garage to put air in the tyres then drove it home and dried it off with a drying towel.

Trouble is there are water marks all over the roof and bonnet which seem almost impossible to remove!

I have used Megs Tech spray wax over and over again and the water marks (Although very faint) are still there. How can I remove them?

The doors, bumpers and rear quarters faired okay though.

I fear I need to wash, polish and wax the car all over again lol

Help appreciated!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Definitely another wash and dry to remove them, you may well have to polish & wax again I'm afraid. A quick spritz of QD during the drying phase goes a long way towards preventing water marks.

The spray wax you're putting on it only adding cover over them, not removing them.

Before anything you should have washed again

Now you have waxed over the water marks making it more difficult to remove

I would use a proper detox shampoo and start again, this will remove any wax and get the marks out easily - just means polish and waxing again

• Like 1

What have I done wrong to gain these marks then? Left too long before drying?

basically yes, you allowed the water droplets to become contaminated and dry on, agree with coldel ..you need to start over and de-wax :(

Water is not as pure as you might think, it contains salt, dirt, contaminants etc that when the water evaporates leaves them attached to the surface of the car.

I would advise getting a decent big drying towel for around £15 (I got one called the Wooly Mammoth!) which means you can literally get all the water off in minutes. A worthy investment if you like to wash the car regularly.

What a **** I am lmao

I won't be doing anything today but do I need to rectify this ASAP or will leaving it until next week be alright?

In all honesty you cannot see them at all unless you shove your face right up against the paintwork. But knowing it's there is enough to grate.

Im haven't damaged the paintwork have I? It looks like I've marred and contaminated the wax coat that was on the car and not the paintwork. I hope lol

When drying (get a Chemical Guys 'Wooly Mammoth' Drying Towel), use a quick detailer as well, usually AG or Megs in Halfords will do the job (AG seems to work better for me, also Kuro).

Doubt you've damaged it, don't worry :)

Have a watch of these videos if you've not checked them out before:

Water is not as pure as you might think, it contains salt, dirt, contaminants etc that when the water evaporates leaves them attached to the surface of the car.

I would advise getting a decent big drying towel for around £15 (I got one called the Wooly Mammoth!) which means you can literally get all the water off in minutes. A worthy investment if you like to wash the car regularly.

Darren I presume you live in a hard water area i.e South or South East of the country? Naturally soft rain water flows underground and picks up calcium and magnesium and these will give you the staining like you have said and you may notice the same marks on your shower screens and taps etc.

After washing and drying a car (assuming you are also going to wax it), I like to use this diluted 50:50 with water to remove water marks before waxing:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-accessories/polish-inspection-sprays/isopropanol-alcohol-ipa-500ml/prod_818.html

Spray on and wipe off with clean microfiber. When diluted 50:50 it's very good value for money.

Humpy, I live in Bristol in the south west mate, I'm guessing in a hard water area lol.

Thanks for the advice guys, will do the whole car again next week. Another 6 hours work ahead of me then haha

As basic as that stuff is, it's very good for beginners and certainly does what it says on the tin (bottle).

Before this forum I wouldn't have been bothered but ilogikal1's & downhumans threads on detailing have corrupted me. :lol:

Still learning what's best and slowly building up to more expensive & better products. :D;)

• Like 1