Clay Bar???

stuarty

Do you still have to clay your car if you have washed, de-tarred/ de-contaminated, machine polished, sealed and waxed.

What would the clay bar remove that a good tar remover/cleanser and machine polish wouldn't?

I was going to wash, remove tar and fall out, machine polish, seal and wax. Anything I've missed out?

Edited by stuarty

Clay before any polishing :thumbs:

Claying removes any final contaminants so you don't work them into the paint with the polishing phase.

I use AG SRP followed by AG HD cleanser then finish with AG HD wax. Does the HD cleanser do the job instead of the clay bar?

No, the cleanser just removes fine polish & wax residues. Claying removes much more than that. Even the instructions for the cleanser say to clay first, I believe.

Thanks, I'll need to learn how to do it, because I scratched my wife's mini to death 2 years ago when using a clay bar and lube. I used plenty lube but i think it was too warm a day. I didn't use much pressure either! I had to get a full correction detail carried out after i made an arse of it!

Edited by stuarty

would that have been because there was still some dirty particles left on the car when you went to clay? I know i've been told to make sure to fold the clay plenty to make sure you're not putting the dirty clay across clean panels.

You may not actually have made the swirls: More likely you simply removed all the crap that had built up over the years, and you could simply see them easier.

But yeah, lots and lots and lots of lube, and keep folding the clay. Throw it if it gets too dirty or if you drop it, too.

I've detailed about 10 full cars at this stage. I have much better technique and products at my disposal now compared to the first few cars I've done.

The clay was taking some serious crap off the paint when I started.However, now I use a strong shampoo, tar remover and a full decontamination with Dragons Breath from valet pro prior to clay barring. Almost nothing shows up on the clay bar now...

You will of course be shunned by the googlers if you don't still clay bar it though ;) .

• Like 1

If you are planning on claying, then the Farécla's G3 Detox shampoo you can get from Hellfrauds does make it a whole lot easier from my experience. It strips the wax / polish from the paintwork so the clay doesn't need to take that off, only the contaminants it's best at removing. It also helps to reduce the possibility of swirl creation from taking as much of the products off the paintwork (with a suitable wash mitt / 2 bucket method etc) before you start to clay.

41mkBiN9UVL._SY300_.jpg

Detailing world test:

http://www.detailing...ad.php?t=230721

Edited by Dal
  • Like 1

You may not actually have made the swirls: More likely you simply removed all the crap that had built up over the years, and you could simply see them easier.

But yeah, lots and lots and lots of lube, and keep folding the clay. Throw it if it gets too dirty or if you drop it, too.

The car was 2 months old when I did it! Lol

Still might not have been you matey, my truck was covered in swirls when I picked it up! Dealers have no idea how to take care of a car before delivery, and tbh I can do a much better job at rectification than they ever could. Same thing happened with Jo's Mini when we went to pick it up, so we just got a load of freebies instead and I spent a day making it look perfect :)

The car was 2 months old when I did it! Lol

Claying paintwork can cause marring of the paint if the clay isn't kept clean and turned enough. it best to clay then machine polish.

Watch this to give you some idea if/where you went wrong last time.

• Like 1

Now this starts another argument. Do you use Clay Lube or a high concentrate of car shampoo in clean water and no lube? I use a clay Lube, but i think its personal taste and what works for you. Larry from AMMO certainly knows his stuff though.

If you use Bilt Hamber clay, then water is fine. Certainly makes it much cheaper to do a whole car.

(Although I do add a tiny bit of supernatural shampoo for a bit more lube)

The odd time I do clay, I also use a proper lube, Dodo Juice, born slippy is my current choice.

If youre inflicting swirls with the clay it would suggest that the clean phase wasn't detailed enough, the clay itself cannot cause swirls, but it can inflict them if it gets dirty, ive seen plenty of people drop them on the floor, fold it over and carry on !

• 2 weeks later...

the clay itself cannot cause swirls

I'm sorry but it can. The more aggressive the clay the more likely it is to cause marring, similarly if the clay is too cold as it's less pliable. It is, after all, an abrasive substance by design.

+1 or under lubed

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for the Bilt Hamber clay, with spraying a lot of warm water right in front of the clay, no pressure, checking it regularly for contaminants, folding it often...and of course, do not forget to wash the car after clay :D

..if you are looking for a full scale paint cleaning, further polish or chemical decontamination might be needed, as the clay bar only removes contaminants that are bond on the paint, but fails to clean the insides of micro-scratches

The best I've used so far in my opinion was dodo juice supernatural med clay with their born slippy clay lube. Accidently for clay lube confused with quick detailer once which turned a clay bay into a ball of stick mush. So watch out for that :lol:

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I used dodo juice tropical mist with what I think was cleanyourcar.co.uk's own brand clay bay. Which turned it into yellow chewing gum and took some cleaning off :unsure:

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

I've been told Red Mist Tropical is more a sealant than a quick detailer so deffo wouldn't work as a clay lubricant if have thought :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Stu_2424