New car time!

stuarty

Last month I put a deposit on a new BMW M135i. I loved the way the car drove and BMW was doing a cracking PCP on them. A week later I started having second thoughts as I just couldn't take to how it looked. Then I watched top gear and although I know Clarkson can be ridiculous at times, his comments still carry some weight with most viewers and I got a bit of stick at work. Anyway BMW made a blunder with my order which I wasn't happy with as it was setting my delivery date back by weeks and the price was increased. The dealership agreed that I could cancel my order and I did.

I then reverted back to my previous choices of:

BMW Z4 35is M sport in alpine white.

Nissan 370z GT in white

Porsche Cayman s in seal grey.

I spent the last week visiting dealerships and I had an extended test drive in all 3.

The things that were most important to me was how the car looked in the flesh, performance, mpg, servicing and road tax.

All cars looked stunning but in the flesh the cayman looked best in my opinion. I felt, and I'm no expert that the z4 35is was significantly quicker (May have been because it was twin turbo). The BMW was also the most economical by far. Servicing and road tax was also cheaper in the Z4.

I felt the 370z was the most practical car and easiest to live with daily. It also had most driver space.

But I know it sounds ridiculous but I cant get past the Porsche badge.

In order of preference the BMW came out on top and having the same engine as the M135i was a bonus. Followed by the Cayman and finally the 370Z. I know I'm no expert and I'm still deciding what to buy but the Cayman is tempting.

I can't help you decide but while I think about it

Did anyone see that show about the bloke deciding which expensive car to buy? I mean all that needless wealth, would have been much better in the hands of a charity feeding hungry kids or something.

:p

BMW would be my pick if it's the Coupe.

Edited by mouthwash
  • Like 1

But its still not a 911 :)

The dealership had a 911 carrera 2 s (996) for around the same price as the Cayman S but i seriously liked the look of the cayman better. But i do prefer the 997 but out my price unless it a high mileage car.

Id take a high mile 997 (from porsche dealer) with there 2 year cover and full history! more than cayman!!

people just see and say its just a cayman!!

iv drove both and found the cayman had lack of torque! Really needed to be pushed hard!

The only thing about the Z4 is that the first e89's came as 23i (2.5l 6 cylinder) 30i (3.0l 6 cylinder) and now a 18i (2.0l 4 cylinder twin turbo), 20i (2.0l 4 cylinder twin turbo) 28i (2.0l 4 cylinder twin turbo), 35i (3.0l 6 cylinder twin turbo) and 35is (3.0l 6 cylinder twin turbo). I suppose this gives customers choice but in essence there really only 2 different cars with a few tweaks. Aesthetically the only difference is twin exhausts on the 35i and 35is.

Edited by stuarty

Why do people still insist that if someone buys a porsche its got to be a 911?

The cayman and boxster are widely known and coveted to be cracking sports cars and pretty much at the top end of every group test every time. Yes the 911 is their flagship sports car, carrera gt is the super car but the cayman and boxster are great cars in their own right.

• Like 2

Why do people still insist that if someone buys a porsche its got to be a 911?

The cayman and boxster are widely known and coveted to be cracking sports cars and pretty much at the top end of every group test every time. Yes the 911 is their flagship sports car, carrera gt is the super car but the cayman and boxster are great cars in their own right.

They may be good cars in their own right but........................................................................ they are still not a 911.... :lol:

Edited by gsexr

But its still not a 911 :)

that's like saying the 350/370z isn't a GTR all good cars in there own right, and the kind of comment people make when they can't afford a Porsche.

About 1 of these:)

375 mountune tuneing pack and over 400ft torque!

lots of fun!!

rsfocus007.jpg

front wheel scrabble wagon; its got wrong wheel drive

Guy at work said the Cayman S was a "poor man's" Porsche! I don't know many poor folk who could pay £50k+ for a new Cayman.

Apparently and don't quote me on it, but the new Cayman shares around 75% of its parts with the 911??

Edited by stuarty

Its 100% Porsche, its not like they buy in Hyundai coupes and re badge them. The Cayman and boxer are just aimed at different markets. Is a db9 a poor mans DBS? I tend to find the people who make these comments drive crap cars. Its a form of car envy, they can't have it so they'll try and make you feel crape about it as well.

• Like 1