Toyota GT86 anyone have one?

stanski

After much deliberation and investigation, I wont be able to have a 370z for a few years until my 4 year old is older enough to sit in the front seat without worry about airbags being switched off etc. Plus my other half will be buying a 2 door car so we both cant have them!

Looking around I keep coming back to the GT86? I know the back seats are not for humans with legs but for children, I think we are ok? I just wondered if anyone has one and if so are they good?

I cant face the usual suspects BMW .AUDI etc etc they are just not me, its got to be Jap and as much as I would love a GT-R I dont have that sort of cash to spare!

So GT86 then?

Any views?

Thanks

Haha yes I know I know but I loved my MR2 Roadster it was slow but felt fast and was fun (in fact my old Roadster was faster than the Fiat 500 Abarth)! Good grief even my 1974 VW Camper is faster than that haha

Have you considered the Peugeot RCZ ? I know it`s not Japanese and not RWD but I had a GT200 before the 370 and really, really, liked it. And, although, the 370 has more in terms of power and performance the RCZ was better in terms of the nice features, comforts and equipment. Same power and 0-62 as the GT86 and small rear seats too and a huge boot. If I was ever to change the 370 (not really going to happen ! ever) I would definitely be tempted to go back to one especially with the new 270 bhp RCZ-R now out and the much cheaper running costs. Oh and was it you at Westway the other week ?

The 86 is going to have so many affordable aftermarket upgradable parts, both power and cosmetic to make your brain melt. Buy it :D

Actually buy the BRZ because it looks that tiny bit better :thumbs:

Cant comment on the rear seats, but I test drove the '86 last Christmas. Fantastic car, enough power to make you giggle and a very 'chuckable' car.

Have you considered the Peugeot

:ban:

Don`t get me wrong, I`m not a Peugeot fan per se but the RCZ was a very nice car and my problem with the GT86 is that it is a gorgeous car without the power or performance to match and the test that I saw of it made out that it doesn`t need much power or wide tyres because it can still be fun to drive and easily step out (read lose) the back end. Well where is there a place for that on todays public roads ?

Edited by Wayne370Z
  • Like 1

Love the look of the GT86, but would go with a BRZ due to slight differences (all down to personal preference). Test drove one a while back and thought it was great, but I simply can't part with the 350Z. Love it too much!

Thanks for the info folks. I have to say its taken me a while to warm to the GT86 (and the 370 for that matter) I cant get Celica out of my brain when I see one as they are roughly the same size? I also am not keen on the boggo wheels which do look a bit small but its not a deal breaker.

I know what you mean about the Peugeot, they are a great looking car and with the cool 50's jetsets double bubble glass roof, which is fun however after being let down by shall we say (other countries manufactured cars - not least Germany I might add) I am a confirmed jap fan through and through.

The Scooby version hmm well not much in it however if I want a 1990's plastic dash board I would rather it be black plastic than sprayed silver 'effect' metal plastic like on the scoob haha! :lol: Plus the radio they seem to have I am pretty sure I purchased once from Halfords in the early 90's! :surrender:

But until I can get a 370z this is looking like the first choice.

Anyway I shall await Tarmac's review.

Cries_zpsce9851ef.png

Cheeky git -did you copy that from my facebook page ? lol

Hey Stan,

They are a drivers car, as standard they perform well, with an aftermarket exhaust and remap even better. If you keep an eye out in Banzai Magazine then there will be some minor modifications on mine that will make it a little bit faster. :ninja:

Personally If I didn't need 4 seats I would have picked the 370z over the 86 as they suit my driving style better

• Like 1

Cries_zpsce9851ef.png

Hey Stan,

They are a drivers car, as standard they perform well, with an aftermarket exhaust and remap even better. If you keep an eye out in Banzai Magazine then there will be some minor modifications on mine that will make it a little bit faster. :ninja:

Personally If I didn't need 4 seats I would have picked the 370z over the 86 as they suit my driving style better

Hi mate - I need the 4 seats other half is getting a 2 seater so we still need 1 family car and the camper is not suitable for everything. So I have to compromise. Of course the family car does not need to be boring! How is it on motorways? 99% of my time will be on the motorway? Noisy?

Thanks for the info folks. I have to say its taken me a while to warm to the GT86 (and the 370 for that matter) I cant get Celica out of my brain when I see one as they are roughly the same size? I also am not keen on the boggo wheels which do look a bit small but its not a deal breaker.

I know what you mean about the Peugeot, they are a great looking car and with the cool 50's jetsets double bubble glass roof, which is fun however after being let down by shall we say (other countries manufactured cars - not least Germany I might add) I am a confirmed jap fan through and through.

The Scooby version hmm well not much in it however if I want a 1990's plastic dash board I would rather it be black plastic than sprayed silver 'effect' metal plastic like on the scoob haha! :lol: Plus the radio they seem to have I am pretty sure I purchased once from Halfords in the early 90's! :surrender:

Surely the silver plastic looks better than the faux carbon fibre effect on the 86? The basic stereo does look dodgy, but that's why they have upgradable options :D

Surely the silver plastic looks better than the faux carbon fibre effect on the 86? The basic stereo does look dodgy, but that's why they have upgradable options :D

the trouble is after seeing inside a 370 the whole interior frankly looks cheap and a parts bin special. My 2001 MR2 Roadster interior is almost the same plastic style and even the cheapo digi clock is identical! I know they want to save costs but even Kia can make a nicer interior! haha

Cries_zpsce9851ef.png

Hey Stan,

Hi mate - I need the 4 seats other half is getting a 2 seater so we still need 1 family car and the camper is not suitable for everything. So I have to compromise. Of course the family car does not need to be boring! How is it on motorways? 99% of my time will be on the motorway? Noisy?

I find it ok on motorways, I drove for 5 hours on the motorway on Monday and it was pleasant enough, there's some good deals to be had on new ones too. Its got cruise control, sat nav, comfty seats blah blah and generally a fun car to drive. It does put a smile on your face. Back end comes out so easily on the standard pram wheel set up which can be marmite.

:drive1