Sat Nav Dilemma

rothers2901

My head is well and truly fried.

I'm off to France in June and am in need of a new Satnav £200 range. I don't usually use any sort of Satnav so not really up to speed with what's out there. I have checked out the Tomtom and Garmin sites but as usual each have conflicting reviews. It must be 5" wide and Bluetooth any ideas?

anyone out there recommend one?

TomTom for me. I prefer the UI, but really there's no wrong answer.

If you do go for a TT, make sure it has the ability to use ITN files: Couple that with TYRE, and you'll be able to plan routes with ease from any PC.

I literally went with Garmin due to their broader expertise (they have been running GPS location hardware on ships etc for years before it turned up in cars) and as some said, I liked the interface better. Personal preference really.

I just use my nexus 7 tablet with Waze, google navigation or iGo. If you tether it to your mobile phone you will get live data/traffic/speed camera updates. If you dont fancy that, you can just d/l tomtom or other off-line sat nav`s to it which dont require data connection.

Has the added bonus I can use it as a media centre just plugged into the aux of my head unit.

I just use my nexus 7 tablet with Waze, google navigation or iGo. If you tether it to your mobile phone you will get live data/traffic/speed camera updates. If you dont fancy that, you can just d/l tomtom or other off-line sat nav`s to it which dont require data connection.

Has the added bonus I can use it as a media centre just plugged into the aux of my head unit.

I would possibly agree, but seeing he's going to FRANCE I wouldn't want to know the data cost

I would possibly agree, but seeing he's going to FRANCE I wouldn't want to know the data cost

Its not too bad. When I went abroad I just buy a "data pack" and find that the sat nav doesnt use much data at all. But, if the OP is worried about that, id definitely go for an off-line sat nav app. I use iGo on mine for off-line use and that works really well.

Its not too bad. When I went abroad I just buy a "data pack" and find that the sat nav doesnt use much data at all. But, if the OP is worried about that, id definitely go for an off-line sat nav app. I use iGo on mine for off-line use and that works really well.

Scuse my ignorance, I am not an expert on this, but how does an offline navigation system know where you are if it is not using GPS or similar?

Got a garmin nuvi something in piano black. Looks smart, gets you there, decent sized screen, can add celebrity voices :lol:

It has all Europe maps, speed cam stuff for fixed and known mobile hotspots (watch this in France) and I get updates for life. Touch screen is resistive not capacitive so can be a bit clunky. UI is fine but nothing to jizz off about, I think it has Bluetooth but I'm not sure what that's for. I picked Garmin simply because they've been at it for years at sea. It sometimes gets a bit confused but it's never got me lost or driven into a river or other such Daily Mail tale of woe. It was awesome in Switzerland as I could dump coordinates into it for the tops of the passes, but I'm sure other devices may do that too.

Would recommend as 4 star of 5.

Scuse my ignorance, I am not an expert on this, but how does an offline navigation system know where you are if it is not using GPS or similar?

Off-line as in not connected to the internet downloading maps & data in real-time. GPS signal is separate to internet signal, so it always knows where you are regardless of if you are on the internet or not, so an off-line system will just have all the maps stored locally.

Ah ok, so different to google maps. Yes the NaviFree system you mean similar to that? It is nearly a Gigs worth of data on your phone though...

...and yes you would need to buy a data pack otherwise your normal data browsing would rack up a fair wallop of cash.

Got a garmin nuvi something in piano black. Looks smart, gets you there, decent sized screen, can add celebrity voices :lol:

It has all Europe maps, speed cam stuff for fixed and known mobile hotspots (watch this in France) and I get updates for life. Touch screen is resistive not capacitive so can be a bit clunky. UI is fine but nothing to jizz off about, I think it has Bluetooth but I'm not sure what that's for. I picked Garmin simply because they've been at it for years at sea. It sometimes gets a bit confused but it's never got me lost or driven into a river or other such Daily Mail tale of woe. It was awesome in Switzerland as I could dump coordinates into it for the tops of the passes, but I'm sure other devices may do that too.

It looks like Some sort of Garmin. Possibly the Garmin 2598 LMT-D http://www.johnlewis...d=c&tmcampid=73 It has the Lifetime maps, bluetooth, 5" etc just what i require also if i can plan routes via dripping in coordinates then that's just great. Thanks all for your advise.

Edited by rothers2901

It looks like Some sort of Garmin. Possibly the Garmin 2598 LMT-D http://www.johnlewis...d=c&tmcampid=73 It has the Lifetime maps, bluetooth, 5" etc just what i require also if i can plan routes via dripping in coordinates then that's just great. Thanks all for your advise.

That's not the exact one I meant but it looks to be similar or an upgrade.

As per one of the comments above, strongly advise you to play with a real one in a shop before ordering online. See if you like the UI and the touchscreen etc. (same for any gadget really)

I've had my TomTom GO LIVE 825 Europe for over a year now and took it abroad a couple of times last year to France, Belgium and the Netherlands. It was fantastic the whole time, great for general navigation around towns and cities, finding hotels and parking. The live traffic information really helped out at times, like when we were trying to avoid the worst of the traffic leaving the Belgian GP. It's not perfect, the updating software on the PC is a bit weird at times and I find the menu interface a little clunky by smartphone standards but once you're driving along it's excellent. The windscreen mount works well and is easy to position within reach in a 350Z without blocking the view.

It's what TomTom call 'Always Connected' as opposed to their cheaper 'Smartphone Connected' variety so there's no data charges on your phone which is ideal for Europe. It's now been superseded by the TomTom GO 5000 for around £250 which has a new interface and lifetime map updates and live traffic information. Mine is still available on Amazon for less than £160 but I have to pay about £40 a year from now on to keep the traffic information working, mine came with lifetime map updates but not sure if that offer is still available.

Been using Garmin for Eurotrip since it was the StreetPilot III, now using a Zumo... The software for route planning on the computer is easy to use and fantastic, links in with Google Earth to preview the route. The Satnav follows the route and if it has to recalculate it heads for your route not a new route altogether...

Bluetooth to phone and headset if needed (for the bike) and you can load a 32g SD with tunes for the trip, sorry, pointless in the car but great for the bike...

Edited by Jixaman

Been using Garmin for Eurotrip since it was the StreetPilot III, now using a Zumo... The software for route planning on the computer is easy to use and fantastic, links in with Google Earth to preview the route. The Satnav follows the route and if it has to recalculate it heads for your route not a new route altogether...

Bluetooth to phone and headset if needed (for the bike) and you can load a 32g SD with tunes for the trip, sorry, pointless in the car but great for the bike...

That sounds really useful. A few times I've planned routes on google maps and wanted to 'drop them' into my satnav. I end up needing a list of postcodes or gps coordinates if I want to plan a special route.

The Mapsourse software is point and click. Make waypoints for destinations, stops etc and let it calculate the route, once that's done just move the line to the road you want it to go and make sure the point is on an intersection that way the navigation algorithm has to include it (if its not on an intersection it recalculates it)...

If you have the time you can make your own POI's with pictures and sound and set it up as a proximity alert like the speed camera alerts so say like as you come up to a nice sight or something of note but not neccisarilly worth stopping for it can do the tour guide thing, kind of breaks the journey...

Also something that can be fun is the tracklog which you can use as telemetry...

As said, Tom Tom is satnav for the masses, if you want reliable A to B get me there, its for you. If you want more control of the route, Garmin... P.S. I have done the mapping for some of the guys for their Tom Tom's on the PC and its murder...

I'll look into that mapsourse.

After reading this thread I downloaded the garmin basecamp software, for adding proper google maps style routes to the sat nav with POIs and waypoints. I've made a great circuit of Paris I intend to run in the dead of night when the streets are empty. I think it could be great fun with zero traffic at 3am or some such.

Basecamp is literally the most clunky thing ever and I can't seem to download the detailed maps, so it has to pull them off the SatNav via USB (you can imagine how quick that is :lol:).

Going to read the instructions next :surrender: might make it a bit slicker. Also tried TYRE from tyre.co.uk which seems to use google maps, so it's a lot slicker than basecamp but it doesn't work on OSX so have to run dirty windowz on my beautiful iMac. I feel unclean...

Tyre is the software you would use with the Tom Tom as well (Tyre to Travel) but as said its a right pain.

With Mapsourse make the route on the computer, connect the Garmin satnav to the computer and upload the route, sorted...

Hope you get a solution that works for you... Cheers...

Heres one I made earlier...

1ikk8j.jpg