Who's Painted their Engine Cover

Kev946

There are a few with the Jap flag.

I'm not into the show scene but maybe others that are have seen cool designs.

I liked the flip pain one. That could work really well! I did a flip paint RC shell that turned out cool! Never thought on doing something like that!

I might put a graphic on mine, unsure yet though.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly mate you dont need to go red just because your grounding kit is red. You can mix up a couple of colours and it will look sweet. In fact Id suggest having the covers a different colour to your grouding kit so that the wiring stands out. Or get yourself some chrome sheathing that they use on bike cables and feed it over your grouding kit to make it nice and shiny - thats what I did as my cables were a pretty dull grey.

As for painting all you need is plastic primer and then the paint colour - absolutely no need for high temp paint and the like. I didnt even laquer mine as I wanted to see how it held up without. It still looks the same now as day one and Im happy so I never bothered with laquer. I did mine all in one day too but I was hasty and I would recommend leaving the primer to dry overnight before doing the paint.

Heres mine after I finished

Picture005.jpg

And the grounding kit covered in chrome weave

Picture002.jpg

No pics yet. Was going to take this afternoon but it was peeing down!

I did a few other bits and bobs at the same time so not sure how many cans for the cover. One probably but two maybe...

I just covered up the lettering. Wanted to keep it but thought it would be a pain. If I decide to make it silver then I'll perhaps make up decals to cover it.

I used a white plastic primer and topped off the paint with petrol proof laquer. Thought it might make all the difference being in the engine bay! I guess I'll find out!

Used plenty of wet and dry paper during the process too.

have worked out that when i do mine, i am going to sand the 3.5 and V6 bits off completely, and then re add them with a decal as a perfect match. that way i don't needto line it up, just reapply once painted. ;) was thinknig about this for ages and then it hit me. far easier than trying to mask it all off.

No pics yet. Was going to take this afternoon but it was peeing down!

I did a few other bits and bobs at the same time so not sure how many cans for the cover. One probably but two maybe...

I just covered up the lettering. Wanted to keep it but thought it would be a pain. If I decide to make it silver then I'll perhaps make up decals to cover it.

I used a white plastic primer and topped off the paint with petrol proof laquer. Thought it might make all the difference being in the engine bay! I guess I'll find out!

Used plenty of wet and dry paper during the process too.

have worked out that when i do mine, i am going to sand the 3.5 and V6 bits off completely, and then re add them with a decal as a perfect match. that way i don't needto line it up, just reapply once painted. ;) was thinknig about this for ages and then it hit me. far easier than trying to mask it all off.

Great idea dude! :teeth:

• 1 month later...
Or get yourself some chrome sheathing that they use on bike cables and feed it over your grouding kit to make it nice and shiny - thats what I did as my cables were a pretty dull grey.

Anybody know where you can get this type of sheathing?

Or get yourself some chrome sheathing that they use on bike cables and feed it over your grouding kit to make it nice and shiny - thats what I did as my cables were a pretty dull grey.

Anybody know where you can get this type of sheathing?

Try "Chilli Red" - loads in stock as of yesterday :thumbs:

Just got the cover and the strut ends done.

black2.jpg

Not sure if I should stay with the carbon cover / strut or to go with the black still....

carbon.jpg

Oh and the new addition is now all plummed in and working... And from fitting that I now know how the 14mm 5zigen catch can fits so I can talk anyone through it if they want to fit one!

I spy an ARC catch tank,looks very bling. B)

Mine gets fitted on Wednesday.

Nice one! Good job you havnt got a silver car!!! Hope your fitting yourself, it was a very easy job! Also, did you get braided hose and hose ends? If not, give Earls a shout.... http://www.earls.co.uk/ if you tell them your taking your car on a track you may get a wee discount!! ;)

How do you guys such such a gloss finish after laquering? Do you use some 2000 paper or something to make it smooth? I just find that it goes very rough after the laquer.

:thumbs:

think it might be your laquering technique. i didn't even sand between coats on this one, and still got a smooth finish. if you laquer does it look like the skin of an orange, all dimply and rough?

Nice one! Good job you havnt got a silver car!!! Hope your fitting yourself, it was a very easy job! Also, did you get braided hose and hose ends? If not, give Earls a shout.... http://www.earls.co.uk/ if you tell them your taking your car on a track you may get a wee discount!! ;)

No Mark,TDI North are doing it.As for hose I wanted to go braided but they advised against it so I went with black samcos.

No Mark,TDI North are doing it.As for hose I wanted to go braided but they advised against it so I went with black samcos.

How so? Any reason? I got the braided line that are heat and oil resistant.... Lots of guys running them in the states... and also... Didnt realise that samcos were oil resistant, but just searched and found they do an oil resistant version !

How so? Any reason? I got the braided line that are heat and oil resistant.... Lots of guys running them in the states... and also... Didnt realise that samcos were oil resistant, but just searched and found they do an oil resistant version !

Samcos on mine ;)

somethng like that yes, im very happy with the painting, its just after the laquer. What am I doing wrong?

as a comparison it looks like the smoked lights DIY on 350ztech before he sanded them glossy.

if your laquer is orange peeling, its becaue you are moving too quickly with the can, its a bit of an art form ,but with a bit of practice you can get quite good at it. go too slow and you'll get runs.

i tend to start at the top and work across in lines, nice and steady. do the edges last, but becareful with them, because by then you'll be adding to the laquer on the top and you'll most likly get runs.

you should be able to see the surface change as you do it. you'll see it orange peel if you go to slow, just go back over it, if its already set, you might be able to use a levelling spray. it reactivates the laquer and helps it level out, but i don't know what the time limit is for using it on set laquer.

Thanks for that. I wouldnt so much say its orange peel, it looks OK but is not shiney and glossy, but very rough. Is this the same reason - going to quick?

if your doing it right should you not need to sand after laquering?

Thanks for that. I wouldnt so much say its orange peel, it looks OK but is not shiney and glossy, but very rough. Is this the same reason - going to quick?

if your doing it right should you not need to sand after laquering?

if you sand after laquering it will dull the surface, and you would need to polish it up. the lawuer should be the fianl coat.

it might be surface prep. if its the engine cover your painting, did you sand it down properly before hand, i used an orbital first to smooth the plastic down and remove the rough finish. and then sand between coats.

Its not the engine cover, just a few other things I have painted, some rust spots on the gf's car boot and some plastic door trims. Have degreased, sanded(600, 1200), primed, sanded(1500), painted, sanded(1500), then laquered! Was going to get some 2000/2500, use that, then polish with my dual polisher.

So if im too quick with the laquer it spreads too thinly and thats why it feels rough? If im slower and have the laquer thicker that will make it smooth (particles closer together)?

I appreciate your help.