Engine Bay Spray + Door Handles Complete - PIC HEAVY

Grundy

Make sure you get some good pictures if you can grundy225 of when you put the door handles back on. Would like to see how it goes back together. :thumbs:

I'll try, it is a 2 hand job :lol:

A tripod and camera with a timer could help with that problem, ...or you could get someone else to take the pictures for you. ;)

If you are really worried though about dropping the bolts in your door you could try this little trick I use ~ just sellotape the bolt/screw to your driver so it can't fall off but once it's tightened up to the handle you'll easily be able to pull the tape off. B)

• Like 1

Make sure you get some good pictures if you can grundy225 of when you put the door handles back on. Would like to see how it goes back together. :thumbs:

I'll try, it is a 2 hand job :lol:

A tripod and camera with a timer could help with that problem, ...or you could get someone else to take the pictures for you. ;)

If you are really worried though about dropping the bolts in your door you could try this little trick I use ~ just sellotape the bolt/screw to your driver so it can't fall off but once it's tightened up to the handle you'll easily be able to pull the tape off. B)

Oh my god, I owe you a drink for that invention!!!!

Why not spray the engine cover all white then carefully paint the 3.5 V6 orange with a fine paint brush and a steady hand?

Yup, after looking at it and having a conversation with a friend, I've done it the wrong order :lol: so spraying it all, and doing them orange again LAST.

Really easy to remove, Once unbolted, lift upwards and pull out. Now getting them back in looks a little trickier - You need to slot the metal rod from the 5th picture into the hole of the picture from the 4th picture.

that bits not too bad, it's getting the bolts back in without dropping them down inside the door, especially the one for the lock assembly

Oh god don't say that :lol:....so what happens if the bolt does fall :lol: because thats going to happen to me!

Door card off and a flexi magnet to retrieve, been there and got the tee shirt :lol: use insulation tape to hold the bolt in the end of your socket

I think you would get better results taping up the lettering/numbers and using a scalpel

scalpel.jpgd109b80a-fd8f-4afc-a9ff-7d329785b0fbLarger.jpg

The blades are far sharper and thinner than that Stanley blade your using. Also have you thought about this . . . . spray the numbers/letters the colour you want, leave to cure correctly. then cover with plasti-dip. trim the letters/numbers. then spray the rest . . . peel off the plasti-dip . . . Wey-hey :teeth:

I think you would get better results taping up the lettering/numbers and using a scalpel

scalpel.jpgd109b80a-fd8f-4afc-a9ff-7d329785b0fbLarger.jpg

The blades are far sharper and thinner than that Stanley blade your using. Also have you thought about this . . . . spray the numbers/letters the colour you want, leave to cure correctly. then cover with plasti-dip. trim the letters/numbers. then spray the rest . . . peel off the plasti-dip . . . Wey-hey :teeth:

See the problem with this is....

that would be the smart and normal way of doing things...

I do things back to front and messed up :lol: Do not fear final layer of primer in a hour. Then we will see what happens!

If your going to go the tape route . . . get some better tape. that Masking tape is too "brittle" if you know what I mean. You can get some good decorators tape over here that is sort of elastic. would be better IMO

Aye I know what you mean. To be honest if I peel the tape off and it's gone tits up, or it doesn't look how I thought it would, I'll just sand it and respray same as the base and then go from there.

Final Primer Layer done.

A90F4EA5-A121-47A4-B68E-37A47FC1F9E3_zpsg2aeocty.jpg

Think it's safe to safe I'm happy with this colour match...

763714A3-07D5-4560-9AAF-273B0B21FC41_zpsnujcycjo.jpg

DB4D0C50-CE6F-444D-A0B0-C58B30B9F295_zpshxwrukfx.jpg

Word of warning, that custom made up paint, all most killed my lungs :lol: Was like inhaling brass polish!!!

I refitted my handles today and found this trick helpful. Get some thin card and roll it into a tube then put the tube in the door hole around the bolt. If the bolt drops then it can't go anywhere and you won't lose it. Hope that helps Grundy225 2y2ubu8u.jpg

• Like 4

Oh my god, another amazing idea !!!! :lol: I would have never done these, I'd of just dropped the bolt :lol:

Nice work mate! Cant wait to see what the door handles are like when you fit them! Going to be getting mine done soon (in blue :) )

Cheers Matt, it's going to be interesting, I want to see if it is a perfect colour match! I'd like to see Blue on Blue too! :thumbs:

I refitted my handles today and found this trick helpful. Get some thin card and roll it into a tube then put the tube in the door hole around the bolt. If the bolt drops then it can't go anywhere and you won't lose it. Hope that helps Grundy225 2y2ubu8u.jpg

Other than that, did it all go back in simple enough?

Word of warning, that custom made up paint, all most killed my lungs :lol: Was like inhaling brass polish!!!

Did you not wear a mask you naughty boy :nono:

Should always wear a mask grundy. I bought a cheap one with replaceable filters from eBay and it was only a tenner odd. ;)

Right, everything has gone flawlessly! Minus the V6 3.5 badge.

Problem I've just encountered is I was lacquering the door handles, and picked up one to lacquer, but got some white flakes of crap on it :( - Question is, can I spray straight on to it, as it's already had 2 coats of lacquer. It needs only a minor spray of orange on it. I can't rub the flakes off as there stuck to the 1st coat of lacquer....

Right, everything has gone flawlessly! Minus the V6 3.5 badge.

Problem I've just encountered is I was lacquering the door handles, and picked up one to lacquer, but got some white flakes of crap on it :( - Question is, can I spray straight on to it, as it's already had 2 coats of lacquer. It needs only a minor spray of orange on it. I can't rub the flakes off as there stuck to the 1st coat of lacquer....

Wet sand it, then when you apply more lacquer it will come up shiny again

• Like 1

Been a long week but I am now 85% done!

Just need to spray the base around the battery and brake fluid lids this weekend.

And to refit all these tomorrow morning before the Dyno meet.

With my 1st attempt of spraying I think these haven't come out too bad. Least next time I know what to do and what not to do. Think I'll respray the Engine cover, around the V6/3.5, it needs sanding down etc and made smooth. Then I need to paint them orange.

Will get images of the car tomorrow. Thanks for all the comments and help guys!!

AA54FB83-4853-4806-9A18-60339BA5F134_zpsw3kqxmb3.jpg

263DECD8-92E7-4245-8AE5-29D11E4BDA63_zps1rj9fu59.jpg

9BAB27C8-C9F3-435F-A666-500012628F05_zpsl7tt43fe.jpg