quick detailer

Spatt

Well, Now that im going to Wales, Japfest and hopefully a whole bunch of other shows/meets i need something for those moments when you stand and look at the car and go "I really wish i had a cloth and some spray to get that @£$% off my car"

I have used Megs detailer before and dont really rate it so whats a good one to start with?... the cars well waxed all the time so hopefully i shouldn't need anything to aggressive.

my main worry is rubbing that sandy crap off the road into my paint :scare: i know loads of people use em at shows and stuff so must be fine for that purpose?

So.. what are we all using?

I have 3 at the moment and I've ended up using all 3 depending on what I want to achieve. I'll use the megs as the reference point because you have it.

Megs Last Touch Quick Detailer -

My favourite for using as clay lube and on interior plastics.

Out of the 3 this is the lightest, kind of like an enhanced water, if that makes sense.

FinishKare #425 -

Leaves a better finish than the megs.

Slightly thicker and not quite as easy to use as the megs.

The anti static properties are fantastic for keeping dust off the car in the summer months.

SONAX Xtreme Brilliant Shine Detailer - ( I wiped down my new zed with this last weekend so I have some pics) -

The thickest of the three. Hardest to use, verging on a quick wax type product.

Incredible water beading, the best I've seen. Water flies off the paintwork making it great for winter.

12070811805_c8991bb5ce_c.jpg

Paint protection on par with a wax.

Finish is very shiny but I noticed it doesn't quite make metallic flake pop.

12071223124_c074d1c7e6_c.jpg

Edited by delz0r

Which megs detailer did you use? I've found that megs ultimate quik detailer is very good and provides plenty of slick. On a freshly waxed car, you shouldn't need more than Megs uqd.

If you find the above is not enough, I've been known to bring to a show x2 5lt bottles of drinking water, car shampoo and a bucket. Not so easy in a Zed mind :(

Chemical Guys Speed Wipe is what I've found to be best for me, always keep a bottle in the car with a MF. It has very high lubricity so won't harm your paintwork, completely wax safe and it's also anti static. I use it pretty much daily in the summer to keep the car looking 'just waxed' between weekly washes.

Edited by Jp606
  • Like 1

With regards to the quick detailers, or waterless wash products - are you not just rubbing the dirt back onto the car when just using a spray and wipe? I'm asking because I posted a topic before about a waterless product for a quick clean in between the proper washes and that's what I was told...

If you have enough microfibres and you flipped/folded after very stroke, then got a fresh one when it was flipped out, you'd minimise moving the dust about. You'd need a few MFs mind and plenty of lube, obviously you'd be crazy to do it if it was properly dirty, just lightly soiled.

I'm going to add that Sonax to my trial list, looks great!

With regards to the quick detailers, or waterless wash products - are you not just rubbing the dirt back onto the car when just using a spray and wipe? I'm asking because I posted a topic before about a waterless product for a quick clean in between the proper washes and that's what I was told...

If the car is very dusty/gritty then probably which is why I have a portable pressure washer for bad days and a microfibre duster for light days, either that or I just don't bother as everyone's pretty much in the same boat anyway lol

Yeah it's just a bit of a pain at the moment with the weather. A couple of weeks ago I cleaned the car and that evening it rained - beading looked great but as soon as I took it out, it had gotten some mud kicked up onto the side from the wheels - so frustrating!

We have something new from my friend Marc at Krystal Kleen Detail called Mist X. Been trialling it for a while for him.

Its pink, smells like a lovely strawberry milkshake and leaves a most amazing slick finish. Personally I think its over engineered, and more like a spray sealant than a QD as it lasts a long time.

Will be in the shop this week, just need to take pictures!

• Like 1

I saw a guy at a show with a big watering can thing, he used that to rinse the car then shampoo it and then waged it off before drying it. That or a portable pressure washer is the best way to remove the dirt rather than wiping it off and risking damage

Portable pressure washer sounds great, never seen one. Good thing about that watering can was you don't need to park beside a water supply

Not a problem if the car is lightly soiled or dusty, like in the summer. A very high lube QD will work fine, like in my post above. Also a clean MF each time is essential.

I saw a guy at a show with a big watering can thing, he used that to rinse the car then shampoo it and then waged it off before drying it. That or a portable pressure washer is the best way to remove the dirt rather than wiping it off and risking damage

Portable pressure washer sounds great, never seen one. Good thing about that watering can was you don't need to park beside a water supply

This is the one we've got (bought it in Halfords) lol

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hozelock-Ltd-4140A0000-Porta-Shower/dp/B001ULCILM/ref=sr_1_1/276-9451210-1547807?ie=UTF8&qid=1390396893&sr=8-1&keywords=hozelock+portable+shower

It's a little feeble and the head is small and doesn't hold a great deal of water, but enough if you're doing a quick wash at a show (we take it to JAE, very handy with all the mud last year!), also when there's a hosepipe ban you can use it for rinsing.