Condensation

AJRFulton

My Z constantly gets internal condensation. Tried everything to stop it. Leaving the windows open on dry days, keeping it in a garage with windows open over night.... but still constant condensation whenever it is parked up for a while.

I come back to the car and there are actual drops of water on the inside of the windscreen, as well as mist on all windows.

There is no obvious dampness or leaks in the car.

Is this a common trait with Z's? Does anyone have any idea how to stop it? I'm getting fed up having to wait 5 minutes for my windows to demist, and the droplets to evaporate every time I start her after she's been stting for a few hours.

Honestly, I've never had a car like this for condensation build up.

Edited by AJRFulton

It's a common feature of all Zeds. Most leave the air con on all the time as its also a de-humidifier, but even that's not enough in this weather really and we all end up doing exactly what you are already doing. Alternatively you could try sticking one of those chemical desiccant things in your car, might help soak up the moisture a bit more...

Need to use the air con and screen defroster button more, by the sound of it - see the handbbook - (page 4.28 for 2011 models)

And yes, silca sachets will help to remove excess buildup of mositure that should be overcome by regular use of the a/c ;)

Oh, and make sure the two cabin sensors are not covered over.

If the problem still persists the a/c may need recharging - again that may be down to lack of use throughout the year,

I recently dropped one of these in the "footwell" behind the driver's seat.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0027IXYGA/ref=pe_385721_37038051_pe_217191_31005151_3p_M3T1_dp_1

Cuts down condensation nicely when I get in, but does require "recharging". If I was doing it again I'd probably find a 1kg bag instead of 500g and order two, for squad rotation or, because yours seems really serious, one behind passenger seat as well.

Other than that, crank your AC as per above. Good luck.

My aircon is almost never off. Shouldn't need recharging after 14k.

Glad to know it's a known issue, honestly never had a car that gathers condensation like the Z. Above the instrument dials on the windscreen is where it's worst. As said it's went beyond mist and is actual water droplets

Well known issue. On my 350z (am I right in saying yours is a 370z), the windows most up very quickly when it is wet outside. I've just brought a 500g bag of silica beads so when I leave the car under the cover, I'm hoping they should get rid of some of the moisture.

Having said that, the air con should remove moisture very quickly anyway!

Edited by HARMLU

Above the instrument dials on the windscreen is where it's worst. As said it's went beyond mist and is actual water droplets

Mine is the same in this cold weather, I just keep a microfiber cloth in the car to wipe this up, and then the windscreen button on plus full fan clears the mist in a minute or so.

If its really chronic, you could try a small heater in there on the back shelf.

Say a 45w tubular or similar.

You'd have to be near a socket outlet though and get the cable through into the car.

It sounds a bit OTT but might prevent the inside glass surfaces falling below dewpoint.

Never tried it myself.....just thinking about it.

OR wedge a flat piece of cardboard against the glass to keep the air off

Similar problem on my 350 - going to try only running it on recirculate with the ac on see if that makes a diff. Mind you the ac only works with ambient temps above 6 degrees? Also, saw a product in the latest evo which was aimed at this problem - "rain-x anti-fog", it cured the problem with the journo's car, but took 2 applications.