Arrghh it's happening again!

nowhereboy

How very appropriate that this thread pops up today. Im in the same situation as the OP. I bought my z back in november after owning a focus ST3. I properly loved everything about my ST but my head was turned by the z which i believe is a beauty of a car and being sub 30 years old i thought id jump at the chance to own such a beauty of a car.

However since i bought it ive just not bonded with it like i did my ST and i just cant put my finger on it. I think part of the problem is that i really wanted a z in black but there were literally none for sale when i was looking and bought a gun mental grey with the orange leather. I think that was my first mistake tbh - i have no paitence ha

I always wanted a 'drivers car' and thought id have heaps of fun but it just hasnt happened. I took it to the peak district at the weekend for a blast and im gutted to report that i came home feeling nothing Where as driving my ST seemed like more of an event (had a fantastic exhaust system and it growled!). Obviously this is all my personal pov but i feel like i regret selling my ST which is something i never thought would happen as when i researched into the z it ticked all the boxes and i loved my z when i bought it. I just dont think its for me. As mentioned i find it heavy and a bit of an effort but i think im just looking for reasons to sell. But as mentioned whenever i park it i always look at it and i love comments i receive about it. I also love that i never see any others when im out and about (north east) and i always think they stand out for all the right reasons.

I just dont know what to do as im literally 50/50 and keep thinking one day i might just click with it and have a right good laugh and totally fall in live like i thought i had!

@nowhereboy To be fair, I couldn't get rid of the zed to buy another sports car. If i was going to get rid, it would have to be for a completely different car. Either Audi a5 Diesel or Just a cheap run around that i can kick each time i get near it. Getting another sports car, which you didnt prefer over the zed, for the sake of maybe £50 a month wouldnt be worth it. I.e. i looked at imprezas, but the mpg is basically the same, especially worse on motorways with the turbo going full pelt. And everything generally adds up to "near" the same, but u dont have the car you liked, or the status of a coupe, or the nicer interior etc.

What I've found is, i expected too much from the zed because it doesnt have a turbo, so it doesnt feel as fast as it is. But once your on the motorway, or atleast 50mph, theres very rarely any car that can touch a zed.

So Unless there is a car you think "damn i wish i had that instead of the zed, because that looks great and love to drive it", i.e a sportier greater sports car in your range, that IS better, or, a generally nice car which youve always wanted and could be diesel or just 5seats, i wouldnt get rid of the zed. My next step is to simply swap it for my family car for the future, or get a rust bucket til i decide what i want.

@Chirag I guess the issue is, with the Zed, when im driving parents car and theres some chavvy guys trying to race me in my parents diesel, i always think "damn should have used the zed", even if i were to fill up the zed, and once the fuel light turns on, i dont drive til next month? All depends on if you drive to work, financial situation etc. I'll be on £400 more if i get police, but will be looking at renting house with mate. But, wont need to drive London-Scotland so save £250 every 2months. If your on the 18k-24k a year, its probably down to preference. Do you get a second car, or do you settle for the zed alone and just cut out drinking and fast food. Those on like £45-£50k a year are the ones turbo and supercharging their car. Money is still an issue.

All in all. I want to look better than how i am. A zed makes me look like ive achieved something in my life. I would rather have a sports car and drink indoors, than have a lesser car and blow my money on drinking in clubs.

I agree with I wouldn't get rid of the zed to buy another sports car. I know there are faster cars out there, nicer interiors, optional extras, etc. But I love being the owner of this car and I can't see myself swapping it for anything in the near future. And to be honest, living in London, having over 300bhp is more than enough, and most times I run out of road before the car's even hit 4500 revs! So for me more power isn't a biggie...yet ;) my main focus on my impulse purchases will be more aesthetics. Even then, i'm not planning on going crazy and spending loads of money on it. But that all depends on how my cash flow is. At the moment my next mod is looking to be a slam panel and then the next "big mod" in terms of expense is an Injen dual air intake which will probably set me back around £500. Other than that I'm more inclined to spend the extra cash on fuel and go to places like the Wales weekend (booked!) and Japfest and enjoy driving the car itself.

Finances play a massive part in these situations, and every person has their personal circumstances and none of us are to judge of course. But if you can see there's areas which you can sacrifice on (legitimately) for the sake of keeping the zed then do your calculations. But if you're heart isn't truly set on the car, sell it before it costs you anymore and then take some time deciding which car sends that shiver down your spine everytime you sit inside and turn it on :)

Few points that i've seen on this, and my own opinion on it (quick notes)

1) Running cost is bothering you : Every sports car is expensive, they all have large tyres, high tax, low mpg and if you mod one, you'll mod every car you own. If you can't financially afford it, which alot of people, including myself, keep avoiding and dont like accepting a sports car cost isn't affordable on a certain wage or circumstances, Don't move to another sports car. You need to get a normal car, doesnt have to be a diesel, but go for something like the 1.9diesel astra, good mpg, still sub 9 second 0-60 and cheap to run and fix. This is a solution until you can afford it financially, the cars going nowhere.

2) Bought the wrong zed. I had the same problem. I wanted blue, none availible, bought gun metal and spent hundreds wrapping it to green. Now that its gun metal again, i enjoy it. Its simple.The sporty colour just didnt look right, it needed bodykits, exhausts, spoilers, all of which i couldnt afford. If you are genuinly not happy with the zed you bought, but want a zed. Look at selling it and buying the one you want. If you are going to lose out of it, calculate your loss, can you wrap it? can you spray it? Or is it just time to accept the loss and get the colour you want, or move to the next car.

3) Doesn't feel sporty. I thought the "3 and a half litre v6 yeahhhh" would be alot more muscley than it is. Big litre, normal bark. It is definetly, to me, who is an inexperienced driver, not a good track car or street race style car. 0-60 is not the zeds strong point, I always wonder if someone hooked a caravan on while i wasnt looking its that heavy. The power surge is 50+ where no sports car for the same price will outrun or keep on your tail. There are mods you can do, i.e. turbo and s/c. Can you afford it? if yes, im sure its going to be a different beast. If no, like myself, the zed is a high mpg power car, its not your lights to lights car. Cars like a 1.4 saxo can keep up with me round, em... certain areas, because i panic about the rwd kicking out, and me blowing an 8k car down the drain. They dont have that issue. There are cheaper ways of making it feel sporty, louder exhausts are allowed on a zed, its a 3.5litre, stick whatever exhaust you want on it, no1 will complain. Short shifts, throttle controllers, uprevs. You just need to realise that maybe Big John in his fiesta ST will still be on your tail round the streets and youll think "wtf have i bought this mpg guzzler for", lead him onto a motorway and show him what the cars made of.

4) Just doesn't feel like the right car. Even if you keep looking back at your car, what are you thinking? "that would look good with a nismo bodykit", "that would look good with black alloys". I've been there tryna create a fast&furious car, costs too much. Your never satisfied and end up spending more and more that you cant afford. High end modifications are for those who could go buy a ferrari, but choose to modify a 350z. The same as the guy everyone mocks with the corsa, who could buy a zed, but wants to put a 2.5litre twin turbo in his boot. If its not the right car, test drive others, see how other cars feel, bits you like and especially, what you wont like.

All in all. We all have expectations that are over-exaggurated to justify why we bought a car that gets 1mpg, high car tax, and has 2 seats. I always thought it would be faster, not as expensive, and would beat everyone i know. But, I want to keep the car now. It's not the street racer its made out to be by everyone else, its just a high litre cruiser. If your a god damn good driver, you'll have more fun. But like i said, most things require money. Check out some other cars, test drive before you sell.

• Like 1

I find this post quite odd really. You say for the performance of the car it's too expensive to run. IMO and many others, the Zed is one of the best bang for your buck cars on the road. Other cars of similar vintage and category get worse MPG, same tax and higher insurance, which brings me on to my next 2 points.

The Zed has great MPG for what it is. You can easily get 30 MPG out of it, something you can't do if you drive a Scooby or Evo, or even in fact if you drive a Type R "correctly" :p

The other point is the insurance, it's incredibly low compared to other cars in the same insurance group or even G17/16 cars, it's 20% cheaper than a standard Boxster for crying out loud.

I know everyone gets different quotes for different areas etc, but I live in NI, for most companies it doesn't exist because of the risk here or they bump up the prices and even here the Zed is very affordable for a 3.5 litre sports car.

Anyway, if you don't want it, flog it, someone will buy it and hopefully be happy with it and you can use the money to buy a run around and put the rest away in the rainy day fund, i.e. the "I want another Zed fund" :p

Interesting that both cars mentioned that the Zed left wanting to in terms of driving enjoyment are front wheel drive hot hatches (focus, civic). Maybe this is your problem, the driving style of those two are worlds apart from a rwd drive car with good hp available. You wont be able to just chuck a zed around and hope to come out the other side pointing vaguely in the right direction like you can in a civic and fiesta.

I would hazard a guess that in both cases the zed is your first big capacity rwd car, if that guess is right you will need to adapt your driving style to suit to get the most out of it and when you do it will become a far more rewarding drive than any hot hatch and on the most part, considerably quicker in the right environment and by that I mean anything but a very tight A road.

However, rwd is not for everyone and you may prefer the front wheel drive experience but if the general performance of fwd is why you changed, have a drive of awd and try and evo or scoob!

To also echo the thoughts of others, you cant expect to own a performance car without the associated costs and I would also agree a zed is probably one of the cheapest to run.

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

I would say the zed is cheaper in some aspects. Town driving, my mates with ST etc get better mpg than me, on motorways the zed is by far better mpg.

The part it drags prices up is if your looking to modify it, so yes its an affordable sports car on its own. But once you start modding, you realise how much your spending compared to the other styles of sports cars.

I dont think I or the OP are saying its not good enough for a 3.5litre, but maybe we over anticipated what you get. And comes to a point for many owners who love the actual car itself, but cant justify the projects they want to do or general running costs if they need a car for work.

But as ive said and previous posters, every sports car is roughly the same to run unless you look at your low end sporty hatchbacks like the puntos etc

It's only a car, as nice as I think the zed is, replace it if you're not having fun and getting upset over the running costs for the perceived performance you are receiving (there aren't many N/A V6 cars from 10 years ago pushing 280+bhp).

I used to have a kpro'd civic myself and wouldn't go back, even if it was quick it certainly does not make the noise the zed does.

As to the running costs of the zed? Insurance is a nudge over £500, fuel isn't THAT bad and tax is fine? Servicing is no dearer than any other performance car really. Don't drive like mad max and tyre wear shoud be fine too?

Edited by mouthwash
  • Like 1

I am in a similar position... however the Z was not my weekend fun car purchase, for this I have a 600+bhp GTR - which I love :D and spend most of my money on.

Currently, I am a little disappointed with the Z, the power just feels limp and I cannot get the MPG above 13, for whatever driving I do. MPG is about the same the GTR (when I took it around Silverstone - and oh yes, it passed the Zs easily ;)). Now, ok, this might be an issue with the car and I am currently trying to book in with Abbey to get it on the dyno to be tested and checked. Maybe a sensor is causing an issue and all will be well soon.

Maybe I am just used to driving turbo charged cars - 3x imprezas (GT, classic sti, bugeye sti which was running 390bhp), 1x twin turbo supra (480bhp just a scary car, mental!!!!) and now the GTR....

So I dont have a problem with the insurance (mine is actually VERY cheap, Admiral MultiCar, highly recommended!!), I have an issue with the level of performance, the future potential of the car and what I have to spend to get it to a decent level.... I dont want to go FI on this car, if I was to go for a SC or TC thats 8-10k for a proper build and I would MUCH rather spend that on the GTR (would be a good for ceramic brakes or an engine build to ready the car for the next level of power).

Got some big brakes and should be collecting some new wheels for the Z this weekend, but I am torn as to whether I should even fit these parts. Going to get it on the dyno first and then see whats happening.....

Maybe I just expected too much from it......... we will soon see!

Fixed this for you Neilp :lol:

You may just be used to hitting v-tec and going BWAAAAAAAAA

You need to take the car out for a drive, not to anywhere, for no reason other than driving as late as possible. Find some twisties. Find somewhere new, somewhere fun and just drive. Pick out a point on the map and go there.

When I was at college a friend of mine used to drive for 30 miles to anywhere she liked. We'd then switch over and I had to get back to our starting point in less than 30 miles without satnav, map etc. We were just driving down country roads and having a laugh. If I managed less than 30 miles I won, if I didn't, she did.

We also used to play the "left, right game" first road on the left, next on the right etc until we were lost beyond all recognition, just being in a car and driving for the fun of it. Do that and you'll remember why you love the car, if you don't then it's time to sell...

I am in a similar position... however the Z was not my weekend fun car purchase, for this I have a 600+bhp GTR - which I love :D and spend most of my money on.

Currently, I am a little disappointed with the Z, the power just feels limp and I cannot get the MPG above 13, for whatever driving I do. MPG is about the same the GTR (when I took it around Silverstone - and oh yes, it passed the Zs easily ;)). Now, ok, this might be an issue with the car and I am currently trying to book in with Abbey to get it on the dyno to be tested and checked. Maybe a sensor is causing an issue and all will be well soon.

Maybe I am just used to driving turbo charged cars - 3x imprezas (GT, classic sti, bugeye sti which was running 390bhp), 1x twin turbo supra (480bhp just a scary car, mental!!!!) and now the GTR....

So I dont have a problem with the insurance (mine is actually VERY cheap, Admiral MultiCar, highly recommended!!), I have an issue with the level of performance, the future potential of the car and what I have to spend to get it to a decent level.... I dont want to go FI on this car, if I was to go for a SC or TC thats 8-10k for a proper build and I would MUCH rather spend that on the GTR (would be a good for ceramic brakes or an engine build to ready the car for the next level of power).

Got some big brakes and should be collecting some new wheels for the Z this weekend, but I am torn as to whether I should even fit these parts. Going to get it on the dyno first and then see whats happening.....

Interesting prospective and i shared a similar experience. I came from 10 years of Rx7's, my last one had anywhere between 450 - 501 hp (the 1 part is important, lol) pending on boost and in a 1250kg car, thats supercar + fast. My time with them was done though and realised the zed in terms of performance was going to be well shy, most cars in my budget in fact, unless i wanted to get into modifying heavily again. I had to adjust my prospective on what fast was or is.

I had already decided, whilst how ever much fun it is, the Rx7 was just too much power to be usable on the road in anything but completely dry conditions and you so quickly into license loosing speeds, it was massive overkill.

I have readjusted to the Zeds performance, i think its very competent and has more than adequate hp for road use, give it a shot of forced induction and believe it will live with the best of em out there on the road, a 911 Turbo S only has 326bhp per tonne and a 400 ish hp Zed wont be far off that for fractions of the cost :)

Interesting prospective and i shared a similar experience. I came from 10 years of Rx7's, my last one had anywhere between 450 - 501 hp (the 1 part is important, lol) pending on boost and in a 1250kg car, thats supercar + fast. My time with them was done though and realised the zed in terms of performance was going to be well shy, most cars in my budget in fact, unless i wanted to get into modifying heavily again. I had to adjust my prospective on what fast was or is.

I had already decided, whilst how ever much fun it is, the Rx7 was just too much power to be usable on the road in anything but completely dry conditions and you so quickly into license loosing speeds, it was massive overkill.

I have readjusted to the Zeds performance, i think its very competent and has more than adequate hp for road use, give it a shot of forced induction and believe it will live with the best of em out there on the road, a 911 Turbo S only has 326bhp per tonne and a 400 ish hp Zed wont be far off that for fractions of the cost :)

GTR is at that power level, because it was cheap and easy to acheive (K&N panels, downpipes, ypipe, 1000cc injectors and a remap).... anymore and its a big jump, rods are the weak point and need to be replaced for the next stage of tuning.

When I was looking at what to buy, before the GTR, I had had enough of modding cars and was looking at Astons, Porsches, Fezzas, etc. Then a friend told me to take a GTR for a drive............. nothing else came close.

So I know where you are coming from, I really dont want to be modding cars heavily anymore - this is why (combined with the fact that I have the GTR) I dont want to go FI on the Z.

Any links to your old RXs? Sound quite nice :D and the 1bhp makes all the difference!!

Maybe it comes down to driving style and a minor issue with the car..... if there is a fault, then it will be given another chance :)

GTR is at that power level, because it was cheap and easy to acheive (K&N panels, downpipes, ypipe, 1000cc injectors and a remap).... anymore and its a big jump, rods are the weak point and need to be replaced for the next stage of tuning.

When I was looking at what to buy, before the GTR, I had had enough of modding cars and was looking at Astons, Porsches, Fezzas, etc. Then a friend told me to take a GTR for a drive............. nothing else came close.

So I know where you are coming from, I really dont want to be modding cars heavily anymore - this is why (combined with the fact that I have the GTR) I dont want to go FI on the Z.

Any links to your old RXs? Sound quite nice :D and the 1bhp makes all the difference!!

Maybe it comes down to driving style and a minor issue with the car..... if there is a fault, then it will be given another chance :)

No, i destroyed all knowledge i had owned it, lol, think i have the dyno run saved, will put it up :) Worth mentioning that is with just 1.1 bar of boost ;)

I would have a GTR all day (if budget permitted), personally i am not a huge fan of the styling but without spending at least double you cant come close :teeth:

650196dc-6d9e-40cc-81f9-ba15fa644283_zps2837e472.jpg

Edited by Jetpilot

No, i destroyed all knowledge i had owned it, lol, think i have the dyno run saved, will put it up :) Worth mentioning that is with just 1.1 bar of boost ;)

I would have a GTR all day (if budget permitted), personally i am not a huge fan of the styling but without spending at least double you cant come close :teeth:

650196dc-6d9e-40cc-81f9-ba15fa644283_zps2837e472.jpg

Consider that I bought a 2010 model, its now about 3x the amount to get anything close....

Very impressive results.... must have been a fun little car ;)

Edited by grahamc

Interesting that both cars mentioned that the Zed left wanting to in terms of driving enjoyment are front wheel drive hot hatches (focus, civic). Maybe this is your problem, the driving style of those two are worlds apart from a rwd drive car with good hp available. You wont be able to just chuck a zed around and hope to come out the other side pointing vaguely in the right direction like you can in a civic and fiesta.

I would hazard a guess that in both cases the zed is your first big capacity rwd car, if that guess is right you will need to adapt your driving style to suit to get the most out of it and when you do it will become a far more rewarding drive than any hot hatch and on the most part, considerably quicker in the right environment and by that I mean anything but a very tight A road.

However, rwd is not for everyone and you may prefer the front wheel drive experience but if the general performance of fwd is why you changed, have a drive of awd and try and evo or scoob!

To also echo the thoughts of others, you cant expect to own a performance car without the associated costs and I would also agree a zed is probably one of the cheapest to run.

The zed was is my first rwd car and coming from decent handling >250bhp fwd car I didn't start to properly enjoy the zed until I changed my driving style.

So many good points in these replies I don't have time to reply to them all! One of the things putting me off selling is this great forum, it's by far the friendliest owners club I've been a part of.

The main thing that caught my eye reading through this was a reply from ddcboyle, you mentioned not getting the right Z and I think that has a lot to do with it. I picked mine in a hurry, I looked at a few and went for the one with good history, low miles and solid mechanics over the one in the colour I liked. I didn't have time to be fussy, my old car gave up and I needed something asap for work. In hindsight I'd have much rathered getting one in a more exciting colour than the standard silver, burnt orange was what I really wanted. Along with this my car has a few minor imperfections that really bug me, the front bumper is stone chipped and the previous owner has tried to cover up a few scratches on the bumper with a paint pen and made a pretty crap job of it. the non gt sound system is rubbish as is the radio and cd player, the wheels could also do with a refurb.

Basically it needs a good few ££££ spent on it to get it to the standard I'm happy with, the main thing that tempts me about going back to a type R is that I can get an immaculate one, on a newer plate with solid paint work and full history with low miles and still have a good chunk of cash left over to spend on mods, the cheaper running costs are obviously a bonus too.

I decided to drive the scenic route on the way home from work tonight, brimmed it with v power and went for a nice long drive, I think I've been a little hard on the Z in my previous posts, it really is a great car but for some reason I just keep falling in and out of love with it. For the time being I'm going to keep a hold of it again, I don't have the time to look at selling it now anyway, I'll probably treat it to some bodywork tlc when I get paid and see how I feel after that.

Sorry for being a right indecisive pain in the arse :lol:

Sounds like you should flog it - you can always buy another if you realise you've made a mistake.

I think the z takes a bit of time to get to know and get the best out of. Mines a bit clunky around town and tramlines like mad. The suspensions very firm and on poor roads its a bit of a pain. I also can feel slow on take off and I think thats because its quite heavy and unless you're caning it you may be only using 2k rpm - and if the gearbox is cold I'm shifting from 1st to 3rd because I cant get 2nd. Diesel hatches are coming past me, but thats only because they're being thrashed! I just cant be bothered on the commute.

Thing is, when you're in the mood, once its warmed up and you've got a decent road under you and you're driving at a decent pace, everything starts to make sense. The engine is fab when its revved out and so smooth and flexible, the ride is good and it goes round corners beautifully, the smallest gap in traffic becomes an overtaking opportunity... I could go on. Oh yes and its very lovely to look at - I cant think of many better looking cars.

Its got real character and thats rare these days - its really got under my skin and I love it!!! (still dont really enjoy the commute in it but I've got my vw shed for that, which is like driving a compact cosy sitting room around - and its got a cd that works)

Sell it and let someone else love your Z - it deserves it!

Sounds like you should flog it - you can always buy another if you realise you've made a mistake.

I think the z takes a bit of time to get to know and get the best out of. Mines a bit clunky around town and tramlines like mad. The suspensions very firm and on poor roads its a bit of a pain. I also can feel slow on take off and I think thats because its quite heavy and unless you're caning it you may be only using 2k rpm - and if the gearbox is cold I'm shifting from 1st to 3rd because I cant get 2nd. Diesel hatches are coming past me, but thats only because they're being thrashed! I just cant be bothered on the commute.

I think thats half the problem to be honest, most of my driving is done sat in rush hour traffic heading to and from work!

^^ :lol:

Look forward to reading "AArgh it's happening again part 3" in another few months. :D:lol: ....but hopefully not really. ;)

haha theres a good chance that will happen :surrender:

And there is a good chance you wont get such a balanced and patient response for the third time, lol ;)

Perhaps its just like one of those girlfriends you get, always looking for the next best ting but once their gone you realise what you liked about them and they were actually pretty damn good :)

I say get rid, try something else, its not like its unique, you can always buy another ;)

Edited by Jetpilot

Set a date.

If you still dont know if you want rhe car by that date. Sell it.

Whatever you were going to spend 100pound on that month, ignore it and just top the car up to the max and floor it to work. Have some fun in the sucky traffic, act as if fuel is no worry.

That way, if you begin to love the car again, you know its your worry about fuel consumption. Therefore, leave the sports cars behind for a wjile. If you still dont enjoy, its not the car for you.