New to detailing

chirag1988

As I'm a complete newbie to car detailing I have a few questions. I've read through the threads about how to do it properly and that's pretty straightforward but I'm confused with the number of products out there. I'd like to have a decent set of products but I also want to keep it down to relatively affordable budget. What would be a good selection of products to use? Am I better off sticking to one brand or can i mix and match?

There's no problem mixing and matching - I personally tend to only use a handful of products from any one brand as I find some products from other brands work better, however I've spent a f***ing fortune finding out what I like! Ultimately everyone's going to have their own preferences. If you ask 10 people what the best product for x is, you'll likely get 7-10 different answers.

If you want cheap and effective, the Poorboys range is good for what they are.

If you want easily accessible, Megs and/or AutoGlym are readily available from local motorfactors. Megs tend to be better out of the two but then I'm not really a fan of AutoGlym at all as I think there's better stuff available at the same price point.

It will also depend on how often you want to re-apply products too. If you only want to apply once a year then you'll need to look into coatings, which none of those three brands offer, but if you're looking at re-applying monthly-to-quarterly then there's a fair choice from those three brands alone.

After joining this site I've now got quite a good selection of detailing products as SuperStu, downhuman, ilogikal1 & a few others have all given me advice and inspired me into trying to do it properly.

Tbh lately I've been loving my Meguiars products and just received there 3 stage system for Christmas. Yet to see how long the results will last but my initial trial/test results are good. Although it is a lot of hard work but when is detailing not. :lol:

Available from Halfords in case your interested chirag1988. :thumbs:

Meguiars-3-Step-Deep-Crystal-System.jpg

Bilt hamber, megs & poorboys would be a good place to start. Like others have said already if you ask 10 people.....

Best start with the basics. Decent buckets, wool wash mitt, car shampoo & decent drying towel & some quick detailer to finnish. After that your looking at snow foam lance & snow foam for a pressure washer of choice then when your feeling a little braver, a clay bar kit & possibly a DA polisher etc

Edited by Bems

Bilt hamber, megs & poorboys would be a good place to start. Like others have said already if you ask 10 people.....

Best start with the basics. Decent bucket, wool wash mitt, car shampoo & decent drying towel & some quick detailer to finnish. After that your looking at snow foam lance & snow foam for a pressure washer of choice then when your feeling a little braver, a clay bar kit & possibly a DA polisher etc

Decent buckets ;)

Actually Hensh, I would disagree about the time of year, absolutely now is the time to be regularly getting all the crap off the car, putting a decent layer of protection on it with some decent hard waxes and washing regularly given the amount of crap falling out of the sky :scare:

• Like 1

Best start with the basics. Decent bucket, wool wash mitt, car shampoo & decent drying towel & some quick detailer to finnish. After that your looking at snow foam lance & snow foam for a pressure washer of choice then when your feeling a little braver, a clay bar kit & possibly a DA polisher etc

Decent buckets ;)

Actually Hensh, I would disagree about the time of year, absolutely now is the time to be regularly getting all the crap off the car, putting a decent layer of protection on it with some decent hard waxes and washing regularly given the amount of crap falling out of the sky :scare:

Fixed ;)

Decent buckets ;)

You can tell you don't live in Scotland, yes you do need to get the crap off the car but it doesn't stop raining up here. You start a waxing sesh and by the time the front end is done the heavens have opened :yuck:

Thanks for all your responses guys. I think ill prob go down the route of megs or poorboys to begin with and get the basics. Decent buckets, wool mitt, shampoo, polish and wax and wait for the weather to improve a bit ;) will keep you guys posted once I've had a go

• Like 2

As the guys have mentioned above keep it simple to start with then once one product finishes decide whether you want to try something else or get it again

Personally I use products from megs, auto glym and dodo juice

Start simple and build your arsenal, get 2 buckets for washing, a good low abrasive polish and some wax. If you can stretch to it then snowfown is a worthwhile prewash but you will need a pressure washer and lance for best results. If you don't want to spend loads initially then many of the good wax companies do sample pots and these will last a good few waxes.

Edited by OllyB

Iv been detailing for a few years now and my regime is still pretty simple

I use 1 bucket to wash but hose the grit off with finger pressure before going back in the bucket. More effective than 2 buckets imo

Megs clay, AG super resin polish, then alternate between dodo juice purple haze and megs tech wax. A quickdetailer after washes as a drying agent. It was machine polished by the bodyshop around 2 months after buying it.

Here's the results before selling it 4 years later

3A516E01-3D4F-40C0-A37A-E472824F7E65-2785-00000280FA22F8A7.jpg

I will add snowfoam and probably a DA polisher to my collection this year

Nice Zed!

right.. lets get down to it.. what's the best wax for an Azure zed?? my last car was red and i used dodo juice bright colour products (and i like em B)).

i just bought one of those microfibre mits (the one with like loads of fingers) how do we rate these?

also it sounds like were all using the same sponge on the body as we are on wheels :thumbdown::nono:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dodo-Juice-Supernatural-Panel-Pot-30ml-Soft-Wax-Car-Van-Detailing-Pad-Cloth-/130959334942?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item1e7dc8de1e

i use the dodo supernatural - but as others have said, ask the question 10 times and you'll get 10 different answers :lol:

enjoy ;)