Down on power and VERY poor fuel consumption

grahamc

Car is a 2002 Jap import and current it is burning a rather large amount of fuel and not doing a whole lot.

Filled the car up over the weekend (62l of fuel) and busy using it up. So far it has used 1/4 of a tank and has done 40 miles.... thats a fair bit worse than my 600bhp GTR did when I was running around Silverstone GP circuit!!!

The car also feels down on power.... now this could be that my other cars are a barge of a fiesta and the GTR.

Going to run the fuel right down and see how many miles I get and how much I have to put back in.

Any other suggestions? Tempted to put it on a dyno to see what its actually putting down...

Assuming 98RON?

Possible dodgy fuel tank level sensor, it does happen. That's if you're not genuinely getting 160 miles to a tank...!

Any excessive soot around the exhaust pipes? Oil level ok?

Shell VPower.... could be hence why I want to run the fuel right down and see how much goes back in. Its a 60l tank + reserve right?

Just been serviced, so oil should be fine....

Not checked soot, lots of rain, so might be cleaning it a little

Check the codes. Could be maf or 1st lambda. Sometimes the codes will be stored but the light won't come on.

No light, not sure about codes, but was recently in for a service.

Mine drops like a stone to between 1/2 and 3/4 then takes its time to lower any more. when the light comes on theres usually still about 15 liters left. It's an 80L tank so theres always plenty in there and it's best to calculate based on miles travelled and the MPG reading.

Pull the fuel sender from the tank and clean the track, that may help, other than that could be a lambda sensor,

The JDM VQ is pretty bad on fuel, I think the UK is better due to running wide-band lambdas, so fuel trim is a lot better, might be worth running a compression/leak down test.

80L tank

You may just find its a dodgy fuel sensor best to go back to the petrol station see how much fuel you can get in it. before you look for any other faults

Mine drops like a stone to between 1/2 and 3/4 then takes its time to lower any more. when the light comes on theres usually still about 15 liters left. It's an 80L tank so theres always plenty in there and it's best to calculate based on miles travelled and the MPG reading.

80l tank.... that now makes a lot more sense.... so I had a lot more fuel left before it stopped working.

Is that 80l including reserve or 80l + x reserve?

Pull the fuel sender from the tank and clean the track, that may help, other than that could be a lambda sensor,

The JDM VQ is pretty bad on fuel, I think the UK is better due to running wide-band lambdas, so fuel trim is a lot better, might be worth running a compression/leak down test.

This will be next!

Thanks all

my fuel guage can vary by a 1/4 of a tank at a time, sometimes I get to my destination with more fuel!!!!

I have a jdm 04. Fuel economy is also pants, I average 19mpg and I the only time I really floor it is through the tunnel en route to work

my fuel guage can vary by a 1/4 of a tank at a time, sometimes I get to my destination with more fuel!!!!

I have a jdm 04. Fuel economy is also pants, I average 19mpg and I the only time I really floor it is through the tunnel en route to work

;)

JDM cars have a smaller tank. 60L is about right, I think.

Some do. The touring version 100% has 80l.

So how do you tell the difference?

Won't make any difference weather it is a UK or JDM car both models have full lambda control just the JDM cars have narrow band sensors doesn't make them any slower to close loop.

Graham, there wasn't any codes logged in the ECU and everything was working right.

Let me know when we can drop the car on our Dynapack dyno.

Thanks

Won't make any difference weather it is a UK or JDM car both models have full lambda control just the JDM cars have narrow band sensors doesn't make them any slower to close loop.

Graham, there wasn't any codes logged in the ECU and everything was working right.

Let me know when we can drop the car on our Dynapack dyno.

Thanks