Down on power and VERY poor fuel consumption

grahamc

Won't make any difference weather it is a UK or JDM car both models have full lambda control just the JDM cars have narrow band sensors doesn't make them any slower to close loop.

Graham, there wasn't any codes logged in the ECU and everything was working right.

Let me know when we can drop the car on our Dynapack dyno.

Thanks

Mark i was going on the premise that wide-band lambda being a more precise and an extended scale in comparison to narrow-band, so the ECU is setup for this rather than just upping/cutting the injector DC/duration in response to rich/lean, and would be able to have a pre calculated table for whatever amount of fuel to adjust each lambda feedback AFR back to the required figure therefor being more fuel efficient.

I was under the impression that this was one of the prime reasons for the current lean burn engines fuel efficiency?

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

• 3 weeks later...

Have not driven out all the fuel, but have filled up again today. 60l went in before the "click" and for 60l I got 178 miles.... thats a little disappointing since my GTR does better miles than at more than double the power. I have also been driving quite calmly on this tank of fuel, to see about the fuel consumption.

Won't make any difference weather it is a UK or JDM car both models have full lambda control just the JDM cars have narrow band sensors doesn't make them any slower to close loop.

Graham, there wasn't any codes logged in the ECU and everything was working right.

Let me know when we can drop the car on our Dynapack dyno.

Thanks

Mark i was going on the premise that wide-band lambda being a more precise and an extended scale in comparison to narrow-band, so the ECU is setup for this rather than just upping/cutting the injector DC/duration in response to rich/lean, and would be able to have a pre calculated table for whatever amount of fuel to adjust each lambda feedback AFR back to the required figure therefor being more fuel efficient.

I was under the impression that this was one of the prime reasons for the current lean burn engines fuel efficiency?

Closed loop is only used around Stioc (14.7AFR or Lambda 1)

The latest car use closed loop through out the fuel control but the older 350Z only around 14.7 afr so running a narrow or wide band sensor wont make much of a difference.

One thing thou on all these cars the lambda's do deteriorate and we reset these wear when we re tune the stock ECU this allows the car to close loop to 14.7 afr quicker.

Graham will give you a ring tomorrow.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

LOL! Graham, hardly surprising the GTR is one of the quickest accelerating cars out there, comparing it to whats quite frankly a mid range GT car is going to leave you feeling a little lacking by comparison.

I agree mostly... I think its also the way the power is delivered that I am not liking. I took an Audi TT quattro diesel for test drive yesterday, 170bhp (sports exhaust) and I was quite impressed with the performance and the way the power is delivered. I think its more the NA engine thats getting to me.... would a few small mods (decat, filter mod, spacer and a remap) make much difference?

That doesn't explain the MPG of under 14, unless you've an incredibly heavy right foot or all of that is stop/start traffic.

Issue with the dash gauges, they have since been replaced and the fuel consumption is sorted.... consumption was actually not a problem - trip counter was.

If he's trying to equate the driving experience to the GTR its not so surprising, I got similar fuel consumption from my 350GT when I sold my Supra.

and that :)

Edited by grahamc

TBH I think unless your going to have it remapped you wont really be

happy, and even then the difference is so vast, but if your happy with the

drive and can get around the performance difference it should be OK.

I know just what you mean about modern diesels, I am currently driving

a Civic 2.2 turbo diesel, and in some areas its just as quick as the 350GT,

I can probably drive it quicker on B roads, its only about 2 seconds

slower to 60 that the GT, and the bonus is I get 40- 60MPG easy.

TBH I think unless your going to have it remapped you wont really be

happy, and even then the difference is so vast, but if your happy with the

drive and can get around the performance difference it should be OK.

I know just what you mean about modern diesels, I am currently driving

a Civic 2.2 turbo diesel, and in some areas its just as quick as the 350GT,

I can probably drive it quicker on B roads, its only about 2 seconds

slower to 60 that the GT, and the bonus is I get 40- 60MPG easy.

Going to have to give that some thought..... I really do think the power delivery is what I am having an issue with. If the 350 felt as responsive as the TT I would be happy with it...... for a little while!

Modern diesel are rather good, never actually expected it :D

Edited by grahamc