Economy 350 - 370z

Richf

After reading through the posts on this thread I thought I'd throw something in. I get about 400 miles out of a tank. That's with the occasional 'giving it some beans' and for the other few hundred miles I'm not exactly driving miss Daisy either. To put it in perspective, my 1.8 litre 20 valve turbo golf GTI also did pretty much exactly the same range per tank. The only difference is that the 370 has a bigger tank. It basically costs me £25 per tank more to fill up than the golf.

Obviously the road license is considerably more too but I know which one I'd rather have at the end of the day (it's the 370 in case you weren't sure) I didn't buy the 370 for economy, I bought it because they are awesome in every way and just so happen to be pretty economical too for what they are.

In my opinion, no one buys a 2 seater sports car with limited boot space if they're bothered about fuel economy and/or getting a full weeks shopping for a family in the boot. :)

• Like 1

The 370Z will get over 30mpg on a motorway run. It really is not that bad when driven sensibly given that it is a 3.7L sports car. I drove it up and down from Wales to Scotland regularly with work, and my fuel costs didn't rise all that drastically over my previous sporty diesel hatch.

As for the 370Z, if you don't like the 350Z at all, then you won't like the 370Z. If you like the 350Z, but hate it's rough edges, you will like the 370Z.

The 370Z improves on the bits the 350Z was lacking in, but it's still a car with flaws, and definitely shares the same DNA and characteristics of the 350Z, albeit a bit more refined, grown up and better built than its predecessor.

As often said, it's an evolution, not a revolution of the 350.

Edited by AJRFulton
  • Like 1

I get 22mpg and just over 300 miles out of a tank full of Shell V power Nitro+. That's with mainly "spirited" rural driving. One of the best things about 370 ownership is that it's still a rare car and is still a bit of a head turner. I do agree that you need a few mods to get the best out of it.

You've simply got the wrong car if you are worried about fuel economy

Either get a diesel or get a better job

This ^^^

Plus, don't forget there's the £1k cost for tires, £500 per year road tax, pricey P2 & P3 services as they get older. That's excluding any mods you're going to want doing on top too.

No idea what mpg I get, never bothered looking in 6 months of ownership.

• Like 1

If you read the thread the OP has already explained why he wants to know about fuel economy.

At no point did he say he was worried. He just wants to known the figure. That doesn't imply he cannot afford the car.

Statements like "buy a diff car" in response to this question really **** me off.

The OP is asking a question, have the good grace to answer with facts and useful information or don't answer at all.

• Like 3

Hi Rich,

I've not been on the forum for a while, or I'd have answered sooner.

I've owned Z's since 2004 (2 x 350z's and a 370z). As far as fuel consumption is concerned, the 370z is marginally better than the 350z, but only very slightly. The reviews you've read that state it's worse are just plain wrong. So you don't need to be worried about paying far more for fuel, or filling up much more frequently - you won't notice much difference.

The first time I drove my 370z in a 'spirited' way I noticed that it was significantly quicker/more powerful than my HR 350z. I think you might be quite happy with the power upgrade from your current car.

I find that the 370z doesn't handle quite as well as my 350z's did at higher speed (the 350's used to be confidence-inspiring at higher speeds), nor does it go in a straight line as easily - I'm forever getting unwanted feedback from the steering wheel and having to make tiny adjustments. This never happened in my 350z's. Grip levels are similar in both cars (not good under harsh acceleration) and depend on your tyres.

The gearshifts are pretty much identical. If you don't like the 350, you wont like the 370's. Personally, I like both. Nice and solid/positive - not 'agricultural' at all.

Cabin noise levels are still bad - but in addition the 370z doesn't have the lovely exhaust note of the 350z.

The trim/comfort/satnav/audio/ipod connectivity is much better in the 370z, especially from 2010 onwards.

I dare say some people will disagree with something I've said, but then again, I disagree with some of the things others have said here too.

Personally, I'd go for it - and good luck mate.

...oh yes, the 'self healing paint' is good too. No swirls to worry about. It won't stop stone chips though.

• Like 1

...oh yes, the 'self healing paint' is good too. No swirls to worry about.

:lol: :lol: :lol: - cobblers ;)

:lol: Do I detect that you may not agree entirely!?!

I've got a silver car, it's coming up to 4 years old and the paintwork is in brilliant condition. I look after it, but I'm not obsessive. My previous Z's had swirls everywhere within 12 months or less. So I stick with what my eyes are telling me - the paint is good (much better than previous Nissan coatings). The swirls just are not there - but I don't want to divert this guy's thread, so start a new topic if you want to carry this one on.

• Like 1

Like what though? my daily is boosted in fact double boosted but I like the power delivery of the 350 the flat torque etc it suits my driving style

Think essentially I want something with less miles that I can keep nice rather than have to spend a fortune getting it nice

Plus this is the first car I've had ever had my wife likes so I can increase my budget a fair bit :)

What is it that disappoints you about it? Did u buy a dog of a car?

P1000502_zps582e9e5c.jpg

Its hardly a dog , no worse than any other 55k one I dont think, and the HR is much nicer than the earlier ones imo.

Think I should have bought one with less miles, the zeds dont hide their miles well, my GTT was twice the age and twice the miles and in better shape all round.

Think I have just found out i need to increase my budget to get the car I want, or spend a shed load on mine, which I dont really want to do so i'm looking at options, thats all.

I am fussy , I admit it i want mint or as close as I can get and I do prefer the 370 looks wise but its a lot of money to spend on what for me is a weekend toy but as I said the wife likes it so I can add an extra £10k to my budget

I love reading these posts, hmm, disappointed with this, that and the other, don,t compare to my xyz with 600 bhp supercharged superdooper toy

As much as I love my Z, I have a 22 year old 750 Kawasaki that will obliterate it at the blink of an eye, ok, its ****ing cold this time of year but that's what the Z is for

Rob

• Like 1

So its better to put on rose tinted glasses and think our cars are perfect, if thats true why do so many mods exist??

I've had lot of experience to draw from many years of driving high performance cars I can tell you the good and bad of every car and bike ive ever owned.

"Immaculate" and "mint" are very relative terms, I could find fault with any car

I dont like the stone chipped front , yes i perhaps I shouldve bought a lower mileage one

I do like the BOSE but i dont like the lack of/poor ipod connectivity

I dont like the gearbox its agricultural and noisy

I do like the engine its smooth and progressive

I do like the handling

Grip could be better even with quality tyres

I like the looks and driving position

I dont like the rust on the some of the minor bracketry under the car , not important and inconsequential but my GTT wasnt like it and that was much older, in fact my old Skoda wasnt like it either and they are known as a budget brand

I dont like the scratches on the door handles but Nissan have been getting this bit wrong for 20+ years

I know there is nothing that cant be sorted , well apart from that gearbox but the simple fact is that when I bought it I had a budget of £9k but I know have a budget of £15k plus the part ex

I know some might think it harsh but is a 18mth old 370z a worse car than a 6 year old 350z ?? Really ??

Wow you bought the 350z without a test drive....

Sent from the golf club...

If you read the thread the OP has already explained why he wants to know about fuel economy.

At no point did he say he was worried. He just wants to known the figure. That doesn't imply he cannot afford the car.

Statements like "buy a diff car" in response to this question really **** me off.

The OP is asking a question, have the good grace to answer with facts and useful information or don't answer at all.

Or maybe the OP could have looked at the 1,000's of MPG threads that there are already instead of moaning on about buying the wrong car, the one that he searched for, test drove and purchased :lol:

Sent from the golf club...

• Like 3

Why does someone always have to mention the old favourite "if your worried about mpg's" comment! I'm fairly sure I'm not wrong in saying this but surely its something each and every one of us consider when buying any car, however brief a thought it is. Unless of course you still live with mum & dad, don't have a mortgage or gas & electricity bills to pay & have no kids & a great job! You don't go and buy a house just because you can afford it and then think afterwards hmm I wonder how much its going to cost to heat this place! Come on people, get real!

• Like 5

Why does someone always have to mention the old favourite "if your worried about mpg's" comment! I'm fairly sure I'm not wrong in saying this but surely its something each and every one of us consider when buying any car, however brief a thought it is. Unless of course you still live with mum & dad, don't have a mortgage or gas & electricity bills to pay & have no kids & a great job! You don't go and buy a house just because you can afford it and then think afterwards hmm I wonder how much its going to cost to heat this place! Come on people, get real!

It's one thing thinking it for a second it's another thinking about it so much that you post a question on here...

Come on let's be honest if the OP really expects a difference from a 350HR to a 370z which basically have the same engine then you really need to do some research before you buy the wrong car....... AGAIN!!!! :lol:

• Like 1

Yep fair point regargding the OP. A little more reasearch could have been done. Still though the "you're looking at the wrong car" comment is soooo boring now. It's been used and abused on pretty much every forum I've ever been part of.

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd update this thread for **** and giggles

Traded my 350 back in December to a Nissan Dealer for a '12 370 GT Edition 7 a/t

You will all be glad to know its rubbish ;) , not

Absolutely loving it , most of the niggles that I felt the 350 had have been addressed imo, the 7 speed auto is great , as good as my 7 speed DSG in my daily , premium connect is awesome , everything I want from ICE, the handling and brakes are better, the road noise is less but that could be because its an "Edition"

Downsides are even less visibility (thank god for the camera), seats not as comfy and quite how Nissan managed to make a car this big with so little storage space beats me but its not an issue for what i use it for.

and fwiw it seems to do about 24.5mpg :lol: so happy days

1489270_733490086661320_1389877975_n_zpsgpidfywl.jpg

• Like 3

One thing I have noticed about the Z, hills effect the MPG alot.

Driving between Wales and Scotland, 26-27mpg. Driving across the flatter ground of the Midlands and South, 29-30mpg. Driving across the very flat parts of Europe, 33-34mpg. All instances are long distance driving on motorways.

Considering the type of car it is, the economy is pretty acceptable.