No more tax discs

coldel

They only charge you more if you do it spread out over several months. You pay 10% extra for buying 6 months at a time currently, so surely 5% for spreading it out to monthly is a decrease not an increase?

Edited by Dedman

Just another computer system to go wrong..!

I agree road tax should be added to fuel duty then everybody will pay it depending on your

road use fairer to everybody.

I think they should also do something POSITIVE about uninsured drivers as well, if your choice

is to pay £800 insurance or pay a £100 fine and 3 points, thats a no brainer..!!! :scare: :scare:

• Like 3

I agree road tax should be added to fuel duty then everybody will pay it depending on your

I think they should also do something POSITIVE about uninsured drivers as well, if your choice

is to pay £800 insurance or pay a £100 fine and 3 points, thats a no brainer..!!! :scare: :scare:

Totally agree, I do about 5 thousand miles a year in my planet killing zed and get stung on road tax for it but I could buy a planet saving fartbox and clock up 40 thousand miles and pay next to nothing. Don't make sense to me and its worse if you own later models which is the main reason I wont move onto a 370z. :angry: Will you always seem to make me go on a rant! :lol: :lol:

• Like 2

Kevin Bacon right there!

• Like 1

How do we prove, or have it proved to us, that the car is taxed when we come to buy/sell it? I guess there will be an electronic receipt issued that we'll need to keep hold of?

It will be nice to clean up the windscreen a bit, though, however, in NI we still have to display the MoT disc.

Edited by KyleR

How do we prove, or have it proved to us, that the car is taxed when we come to buy/sell it? I guess there will be an electronic receipt issued that we'll need to keep hold of?

It will be nice to clean up the windscreen a bit, though, however, in NI we still have to display the MoT disc.

There will be an online check just like the MOT, technically there already is:

https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/enquiry?execution=e1s1

There will be an online check just like the MOT, technically there already is:

https://www.taxdisc....?execution=e1s1

Kind of like AskMID?

Is it going to tell us for how long the tax is still valid?

Kind of like AskMID?

Is it going to tell us for how long the tax is still valid?

There's an MOT checker online currently which tells you when the MOT was passed, where at etc I presume they'd use it as a template. Hopefully you won't have to provide the log book number for that though!

I wonder if it'll make it over here in it entirety, currently we can't Tax the car online for example, but we can book the MoT and some people have had success in using the DVLA website to tax their car, others haven't been able to.

Sounds like a step in the right direction.

On a purely vain perspective of mine, this is a very good thing :teeth: .

Also, the months DD option is a good idea, although it irks me that you have to pay 5% extra just because you're unable to afford the whole £475 amount in one lump.

Take from the poor, to feed the…...

I always tend to, where possible, pay for my insurance and TAX in one annual whack, that way I can budget better for my motoring.

As long as I can justify annual TAX and insurance for under £1000 then it's a goer for me, anything more and it's not worth it.

Just been reading that overseas lorry drivers / haulers

DON'T contribute anything to our road tax or indeed pay anything to drive on our roads

maybe a good time to put a end to this freebee once and for all...!!!! :angry: :angry:

Lol. Just lol.

Those foreigners coming here touching our paved surfaces for free. Boils my blood that does.

DON'T contribute anything to our road tax or indeed pay anything to drive on our roads

maybe a good time to put a end to this freebee once and for all...!!!! :angry: :angry:

Ah.....so when you go on an epic road trip to Europe I assume you are going to volunterily pay the road tax pro-rata for whatever countries you visit......

• Like 1

Ah.....so when you go on an epic road trip to Europe I assume you are going to volunterily pay the road tax pro-rata for whatever countries you visit......

Do you normally take a truck with you on a road trip..I agree UK hauliers should also pay towards European road use

but in fact they do its called Road Tolls, which we have very few of.. :scare: :scare:

Why should the haulers have to pay UK road tax? They are bringing goods into the UK for the UK consumer.

If you charge them road tax they pass that onto their customers who in turn pass the cost on to the consumer.

Everyone loses.

• Like 1

Why should the haulers have to pay UK road tax? They are bringing goods into the UK for the UK consumer.

If you charge them road tax they pass that onto their customers who in turn pass the cost on to the consumer.

Everyone loses.

Following on from this, this would put off companies from coming over here all together, we're pretty expensive to ship to anyway. Policing it would be a nightmare too, as well as checking license, insurance, the driver isn't drunk etc etc with people you probably don't share a language with you'd then have to check they've contributed for the miles they're going to cover.

It would cause further complications an already fairly complicated process.

JUST FOUND THIS ON LINE..! :thumbs: :thumbs:

British hauliers have complained for years that while they pay to use roads on the continent their European counterparts enjoy free passage on UK carriageways.

The system will see a new annual charge introduced for all trucks driving on British roads. UK drivers will also pay the levy, but it will be offset by a corresponding road tax cut that will ensure British hauliers will be no worse off.

Patrick McLoughlin, the recently-appointed Transport Secretary, said the new levy “will deliver a vital shot in the arm to the UK haulage industryâ€. It will also raise up to £23.2million a year for the Exchequer, according to estimates by the Department for Transport.

Mr McLoughlin said: “By introducing charges we will create a level playing field, increasing UK competitiveness and boosting growth.

“It is simply not right that foreign lorries do not pay to use our roads, when our trucks invariably have to fork out when travelling to the continent.†It is estimated that foreign-registered lorries make 1.5million trips a year on British roads.

• Like 1

Isn't this going to make it a lot easier for the scum in our society to just not pay for road tax (VED) and get away with it?! :angry:

I mean currently if a member of the public (us) see's an un-taxed vehicle on our roads it is pretty easy for us to tell and report it to the Police. But with the new system we won't be able to even tell from the sound's of it as it will look just like any other car with nothing displayed on the windscreen.

Also I'm sure this system would make it harder for the Police to be able to tell as well because they would need to use there ANPR equipped vehicles to be able to tell rather than just looking in the window.

Maybe I've missed something but am I right in thinking this or what? :dry:

• Like 1