I'm an idiot - V5

coldel

OK, so I sold the VX, filled out the V5, popped it into an envelope whacked a stamp and the DVLA address on it and intended to post on the way to work. Of course I forgot, so no problem post it somewhere on the way back. Stuck it in my inside coat pocket, left the office, walked over Waterloo bridge as per normal, get on the train, unzip my coat...no envelope.

So, its gone, somewhere between my desk at the office on the Embankment and halfway along platform 16 of Waterloo station.

Options:

1. Retrace steps, never know it might be sat there, weirder things have happened

2. Check at reception to see if anyone has handed it in

3. Hope some kind soul has found it and posted it

Either way, I think I need to take some steps as my odds of the three above coming off are pretty slim. What do I do? Is there a replacement form?

The new owner can use their new keeper slip to get a V5, I had to do that once as the v5 didnt show up.

Not sure if there needs to be a certain amount of time before that can happen though.

I would assume you should alert the DVLA the form is lost in case someone tries to change the details on it and then turn up at the new owners address to steal it.

Edited by Gudzy

Think it's still yours until the DVLA receive the log book.

When I sold my first car I couldn't find the log book, so when they turned up, I explained, wrote a receipt and signed it to them. They drove off, then next day, had to go to the post office, get new one posted to me etc, fill out there details and send it off.

Reading your post again, just noticed the Insurance and mot problem, Might be worth giving the DVLA a call and explaining, as the post office are very strict and require Docs.

The new owner can use their new keeper slip to get a V5, I had to do that once as the v5 didnt show up.

Not sure if there needs to be a certain amount of time before that can happen though.

I would assume you should alert the DVLA the form is lost in case someone tries to change the details on it and then turn up at the new owners address to steal it.

Oh that reminds, I just completely lied :lol: I think I ended up getting some sort of FREE documentation from the post office, filling out my details, then sending that and a cheque to cover the cost for the new log book to the new owner. Then they filled in the rest and sent off for the proper documents.

Sorry if that's not clear :(

Yep its as clear as mud...! , Phone the new owner and tell him what happened

and tell him to apply for the new log book on the green slip you gave him..Job done £25 later he has a log book... :thumbs::scare: :scare:

That sums up my version ^^ :lol:

As above but would just cover yourself by contacting DVLA, E mail or recorded delivery post. My concern would be that you are still technically the registered keeper and as such liable for fines, congestion charges etc. The sooner you get something documented the better.

Didn't you have some sort of V5 dilema when selling the last car or is that me imagining things?

Hope you get it sorted mate :thumbs:

Yep its as clear as mud...! , Phone the new owner and tell him what happened

and tell him to apply for the new log book on the green slip you gave him..Job done £25 later he has a log book... :thumbs::scare: :scare:

This.

That's how I did it with that cheapo Alfa I bought from the massive drug dealing taxi driver bloke

• Like 1

Does he have to pay? I have the V62 in front of me here and under section 4. Fee it says 'I do not enclose a fee because I am the new keeper and I have enclosed the V5C/2. That reads to me he doesnt (although of course I will pay if necessary!)

Sorry bit OT but if this is Version 5 of being an idiot can we know what the other 4 were like?

I'm really sorry, couldn't resist as when I looked at the title that's what I thought. Hope you get it sorted quickly and cheaply.

So what have you replaced it with?

Does he have to pay? I have the V62 in front of me here and under section 4. Fee it says 'I do not enclose a fee because I am the new keeper and I have enclosed the V5C/2. That reads to me he doesnt (although of course I will pay if necessary!)

I didn't have to pay as I never received the v5 from the seller......which I thought was damn decent of them

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update - the guy got his new V5 through in the post today after we decided to 'wait and see' - indeed London isn't full of nasty folk but in fact has some good guys who will see lost mail in the street and post it on your behalf!

Edited by coldel
  • Like 1