HR engine oil pressure gauge reads low

Richf

I had a similar problem with my 2004 DE engine ... oil pressure always reading low, using oil at the rate of over 1 litre per 1000 miles ... had the pressure sender checked out and it was accurate ... my solution ? ...

... I traded the car

That pic looks like its about 15psi which is slightly low my DE would show around 20psi at idle, but obviously 30psi at any serious RPM is way too low you should be seeing around 60psi by 2-3K RPM, check the sensor output against the manual data.

You should never ignore an oil pressure gauge reading if low, biggest mistake going what would you rather pay for a new gauge/sender or an engine rebuild?

How is an oil temp gauge more important than a pressure gauge? especially on an N/A engine, its never likely to get very high unless you forget to put oil in it, The first thing I do on any car that doesn't have an OPG is to fit one.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky
  • Like 1

That pic looks like its about 15psi which is slightly low my DE would show around 20psi at idle, but obviously 30psi at any serious RPM is way too low you should be seeing around 60psi by 2-3K RPM, check the sensor output against the manual data.

You should never ignore an oil pressure gauge reading if low, biggest mistake going what would you rather pay for a new gauge/sender or an engine rebuild?

How is an oil temp gauge more important than a pressure gauge? especially on an N/A engine, its never likely to get very high unless you forget to put oil in it, The first thing I do on any car that doesn't have an OPG is to fit one.

Very true Ricky, I would worry if my oil pressure was that low. Mine runs 30 psi on tickover and 60 psi at 2500 rpm, which is about right and

my lump done 80k.. :scare: :scare:

oil pressure and knock gauges are only there to frighten people , would have been better imo to have oil temp there :)

After this comment I thought I had better warn you as to the possible cause and urge you to investigate, its not just a heavily worn and noisy engine that can show low oil pressure either, but its up to you what you do about it.

i'd say you really need to find out for sure if this is a faulty gauge/sensor or a badly worn engine/pump do you have a mechanical pressure gauge you can connect where the sender screws in to check or is it just a hoarder like me who has stuff like that laying around

The temp gauge moves and can be right up the top if you drive when its cold but it'll come down with 5 mins or less. It'll shoot up and down when accelerating too. General rule 60 at 60mph, which seems to be the case. Should def not be near the 0 mark though... correct me if I'm wrong?? lol

(can't actually remember what mines does when I fire the engine up cold...need to check that later lol)

Edited by AMT

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't threatened anyone, think Neil P is out of order, some kind of witch hunt going on, pretty trollish imo I expected better from this forum a simple pm would have sufficed. Dont really know what I'm being accused of but plenty jumping in with their pitchforks

I did have low ish oil pressure , I took some advice and was told not to worry, I didnt listen , i replaced the sender and noticed that no oil came out when i removed it , I checked with an external gauge (still low but not as low as factory gauge suggested as thats a good 5 psi out) , I had a sod of a job getting the new sender to seal up properly resulting in about 2 litres of oil over my garage floor , I finally got it to seal , reset the oil level and its now about 20psi on idle and 70+ psi at 4000rpm so its well within spec ,

I have photos, receipts and video of the car running taken today but believe what you will

I have spent literally hours searching the web , the knowledge base on here is very limited in all honestly and the HR variants often do seem to run lower oil pressure than the earlier engines, quite a few people on US forums reported similar one guy has done 40,000 miles on 3psi at idle according to his gauge and as others have said hot idle isnt so much of an issue really anyhow as long as the pressure comes up nicely and that was never a problem. I've yet to find a HR with either an oil pump or bottom end failure though , unlike rev ups of the same age since HR's dont consume oil at the same rate.

I suspect there was a bit of crap somewhere that the repeated flushing seemed to shift , but no im still not 100% happy with it and it will be going and seeings this is such a friendly club think i'll buy a GT86 and charge it ;)

I wont be selling the car on the forum anyhow , selling a car on an "Owners" forum always seems a cockeyed way to do things anyhow so what happens from this point on is nothing to do with anyone from here, reading a load of threads about previous issues on a car might however ruin the new car experience for the next owner.

No real conspiracy and nothing really to see here but dont let that put you off , I suspect some got the hump because think i feel the 350HR isnt good enough for me and thats probably right , its just not as well made as other Nissans I've had , sorry if that gets your back up somehow but thats the way I feel about it, I'm hoping a 370 will be better but i'm prepared to be disappointed

FWIW i'll be removing any pics ive posted , and will probably delete the content as that wont make any sense when the pics gone

Edited by Richf