Energy Suppliers?

rtbiscuit

I've been with Southern electric for years, they send me a bill i submit a reading they email me back how much i actually owe, i pay it, life is good.

I recently have been told and seen a lot on the news that switching will save me money. so i went online on to Uswitch and money supermarket.

now on Uswitch i was shown a max saving of £140 a year, but on money supermarket £210.

now that all sounds great, I'm even happy to go and swap to direct debit to save money and reduce the quarterly bill. but what put me off is i went and looked at the energy supplier reviews. its scary they are horrific, very few come out well and the really good ones don't do my area.

so my question is who do people use, are they any good? and if you had to avoid anyone company who would it be?

at the moment first:utility are apparently my best option on both sites but they seem to be completely useless on customer service and ability to provide an accurate service.

alternatively I'm looking at E:ON they seem to fair about in the middle for supplier customer feedback. and only about £20 worse off on the saving a year.

I dont wat to swap out to something else on the promise of cheaper and then end up worse off.

They're all as bad as each other. By which I mean that any of the ones I've ever used have been fine, and I've never had an issue with either EON or currently EDF.

I'll never go DD to save £5 a year because I'd rather have the money in my account than theirs, but other than that I just choose the people with the cheapest tariff and away I go. Everyone says that BT, Sky, TalkTalk, Tesco, Ford etc are all shite as well, but then if you have a lot of customers you're going to get the vocal minority rise to the top.

Actually, scratch that. TalkTalk areawful.

EON now - right pain changing over. Fixed for two years just before the price hike.

Was with Scottish power before - took me nearly 12 months to claw back 1600 quid I'd overpaid due to there faulty meter and me paying by DD (never checked LOL).

I would never go with NPower on principle...

Reason ?

Due to their methods of signing up new customer's on the door step. I'm sure other suppliers did it, but npower were the only ones who tried it at my house. Blatantly lying and very pushy salesman.

I'm on the blue price promise, I forget who it's with, is it EDF? They've been fine ish, I did ask for a repayment as they owed me about £80 and it never arrived but they've now reduced my DD so not too bad. They are buggers for holding onto money though and I do resent them having the ability to take whatever they want to but then I dont want to be writing out cheques or making bank transfers every few months either.

one thing to always watch when switching over to direct debit is the energy companies always tweak the monthly amount needed to be paid every quarter

for instance

you currently paying £125 per month for Gas & Electricity

you get a statement through every quarter. Bill says you may be in credit or not, this really doesnt matter, they will always up the amount you need to pay so the letter will most likely say you need to up the DD to £150. B@llocks to that

What you need to is at the end of the bill there will be a forecast of what they think you will use. Take that figure and dived by 12 and set the DD to that.

You have to go though this routine every quarter and ring the call centre up and get them to change it. PITA but better than then making interest out of your credit

currently with EDF on a fixed rate tariff. Also something to consider is a fixed rate tariff

Reason ?

Due to their methods of signing up new customer's on the door step. I'm sure other suppliers did it, but npower were the only ones who tried it at my house. Blatantly lying and very pushy salesman.

A few years back npower actually tried to become my supplier without me even asking them to. I had letters from British gas saying final bill and new letters from npower saying welcome to us etc... id never even asked to switch supplier!

Personally I think they are all as bad as each other when it comes to prices. Im with British Gas atm, but just had a letter saying they are increasing their prices by 9%. I can switch and "save" money, but i know the other suppliers will also jack their prices up in a few weeks or so anyway, so i`ll be back at square one.

Reason ?

Yea I had one or two ... no marks with no intelligence trying to tell me I didn't know what I was talking about ... p!$$ed me off as well

So any one on here with first:utility? I'm thinking E:ON maybe the route to go.

We are with First Utility and have been for a few years now. We had the smart meter installed so each month your billed exactly for what you use. Having the smart meter also eliminates any need to send in your meter readings.

Also your dual fuel discount is built up over the year then sent to you via a cheque which in our case comes in just after Christmas which is handy!

OVO don't show up in the compare websites so i went direct, they supply my area and the quote seemed good so I've gone with them. will have to see how things go, but they get a better review than first:utility, and seem on par crapness wise with EDF and E:ON who were my back up choices.