Can TC/ESP be turned off completely?

SamN

Coming from a bit of a drifting background, I tend to drive with traction control turned off.

I have noticed a couple of times the light still flashes on the dash and it feels like it's kicking in anyway though??

After come googling I found someone saying that turning off traction control leaves ESP on which will allow the wheels to spin up and doesnt cut power, but ESP brakes the wheels individually to aid with stability.

I know on the BMW E46's I've had you press the button one to turn off the basic TC but hold it down for 5 seconds or so to turn ESP off too.

Is there a way to do this on the 350Z?

Not sure if there is a dedicated fuse for the tc /esp.

I believe the best way is to Unplug the yaw sensor (or put a switch on the power line to it) it can be found under the center consol approx where the ash tray is. This will stop the esp/tc but keep abs operational.

• 3 years later...

I did have a look for info on here and couldn't find any.

Either way, the VDC is an absolute PITA if you want to push on with the car. Even going around a roundabout you can hear it groaning!

I installed a switch to get rid of mine:

IMG_20161226_144659_zpss0dpbuo1.jpg

IMG_20161226_145517_zpsz1ghotah.jpg

IMG_20161226_151933_zpsskzellbm.jpg

IMG_20161226_152348_zpsxyh8mof2.jpg

IMG_20161226_160715_zpsyfrouf0v.jpg

Nothing too difficult in performing the job. The biggest PITA is actually unplugging the IMU sensor! I ended up prying the clips with a screwdriver. You don't actually NEED to do this, but I wanted to check I had the correct pin 6 for ground. A lot of guides go on about the orange wire. On my 2007 HR model, there wasn't an orange wire. So pin 6 is the ground and is sufficient to break the circuit.

I crimped all the connectings with 1.5mm red crimps. I used a bipole switch I got from Maplins and female spade crips to attach to it. I found some thin gauge wire to use similar to the gauge used by the sensor loom. Length wise, 40cm was plenty (2*20cm pieces).

And here is the result:

HTH

Edited by Rocket_Rabbit
  • Like 3

So you are out for a blast with all electronic driver aids turned off and it rains heavily. Hopefully before doing a 360 there is time to slow down gradually. Then you limp home being hassled by other cars with 4wd,ESP and TC. In any case carry a spare [pair of trousers]

This must be why So many Zedds are in the scrap heap :lol:

No it's because retards get in them.

This retard has 4WD, ABS, AYC etc...

Sounds far too complicated for my terrible technical abilities :D

So how does she handle with no stability control?

It's not a taxing job at all.

MUUUUUCH better! The first few times I drove the car, it felt horrid. The car would slide nicely, then the electronic overlord would snap it back. If you are used to RWD cars, it's the feeling you get when you're about to gp tankslapper, so you start winding lock off immediately, before the slide has actually finish as to counter the slip to grip action that is impending. Bottom line, if you know what you're doing, it is more harm than good.

So you are out for a blast with all electronic driver aids turned off and it rains heavily. Hopefully before doing a 360 there is time to slow down gradually. Then you limp home being hassled by other cars with 4wd,ESP and TC. In any case carry a spare [pair of trousers]

I was riding my sportsbike yesterday in freezing conditions. That has no ABS, no traction control, one wheel drive and no airbags. My kit car has 500bhp/ton and doesn't even have a brake servo, let alone ABS/TCS. My S2000 was also perfectly manageable without TCS and ABS made you slower.

I'm running the Z on trackday tyres too (245s all round) which don't work in standing water and REALLY don't work in the cold.

The problem with people these days is that they rely on these aids. That is why there are more crashes. Get in the car and drive it. If you're worried, go and get better, plenty of courses out there :)

I fitted a switch on pretty much day one with my 350GT, never had any real problems, it can get a little skittish in the wet/greasy conditions and snow is a pain, but the std TRAC/stability control is very nanny and still cuts in when turned off.

Yeah, it's all about being sensible. I like the rear to move about because I can manage it. The understeering motion the EBFD did was disconcerting. You can feel the car's ability to move the front end, but then you'd feel it resist you and it's counter intuitive.

Edited by Rocket_Rabbit
  • Like 1

Easiest way I found was to unplug the 2 plugs on the bottom of the ABS block, turns off the ABS aswell which helps alot when drifting. The zs that heavy it doesn't lock up the wheels very easy so ABS isn't really necessary.ive locked my front wheels up once and it was because my front tyres were down to the metal on the inside so my fault. It makes the car feel soo much better imo

• Like 1

Easiest way I found was to unplug the 2 plugs on the bottom of the ABS block, turns off the ABS aswell which helps alot when drifting. The zs that heavy it doesn't lock up the wheels very easy so ABS isn't really necessary.ive locked my front wheels up once and it was because my front tyres were down to the metal on the inside so my fault. It makes the car feel soo much better imo

I drove mine for about 4 years like this, never locked up apart from on track and much easier than messing with the yaw box. If you need to turn it back on just stick the plugs back in again.

So you are out for a blast with all electronic driver aids turned off and it rains heavily. Hopefully before doing a 360 there is time to slow down gradually. Then you limp home being hassled by other cars with 4wd,ESP and TC.

Yep, because every car without TC just spins immediately when it rains. Ive recently punted the "TVR drivers must be superheroes" line out, but this time Ill just opt for reminding you that racing cars still run in the wet and they dont all spontaneously crash into each other.

ABS - good for emergency braking, no doubt

TC - only needed if you can modulate your right foot

Stability control - as above + cant use a steering wheel correctly

• Like 1