Anyone done Route 66?

Grundy

As the title says, Planning in the future to one day rent a car and just travel across Route 66, big dream of mine!

The car I want is the 67' Camaro SS (Or something similar)

Just wondering what car's you've all done it in, or where you got your's from, as this car and company will cost £3000k ish for a 3 week journey.

http://blacktopcandys.com/the_cars

I did not very much of it in a mustang, I was driving from Santa Monica to Las Vegas so took a short diversion to cover some. I hired the mustang for a week, and I got it through a broker called "US Car Hire" their website is really naff, but they were the cheapest I could find and I got a decent car through Alamo and I didn't get stung on a different return location or a young drivers fee like a lot of places do. I'd really highly recommend them!

edit: found the link http://www.uscarhire.com/

Edited by Dedman

Done a East to West road trip starting from NYC and ending in LA and covered some of the Route 66. Best thing I have ever done for for sure.

Sadly the car we had was a brand new convertible Chrysler Sebring. For the 1st week it was just my Mate and myself but picked up two mates up in Dallas for the final 2 weeks and somehow we managed ok with all our gear and 4 people in the car :lol:

Here's the car that did us proud in all fairness

SAM_1020.jpg

My mate and I walking down Route 66, love this pic.

Route66_zps975a2615.jpg

Edited by Humpy

As the title says, Planning in the future to one day rent a car and just travel across Route 66, big dream of mine!

Just wondering what car's you've all done it in, or where you got your's from, as this car and company will cost £3000k ish for a 3 week journey.

Thats a dangerous website!! Man that Mustang is gorgeous!!! quick number suggest £3,750 for the 'stang for 19 days! but I guess you would need to factor in fuel and food for people involved. Man this looks awesome!! :)

Thats a dangerous website!! Man that Mustang is gorgeous!!! quick number suggest £3,750 for the 'stang for 19 days! but I guess you would need to factor in fuel and food for people involved. Man this looks awesome!! :)

Yeah the price is just so large :( But I don't know if that is the going price etc.

Fuel is so cheap out there! Like 50p 'ish a litre!

But then cost for food, motels, SOUVENIRS!

Would be expensive! But so worth it.

Just staring to plan a similar trip like this for next year with the misses, gunna get an rv and drive it then end up having a mustang (if the misses gets her way or a a 67 GTO if I have mine) for the last day and finish in Vegas, so this thread may be of some help

Did bits of it on a California/Nevada/Arizona road trip last year, they tried to give us a Mitsubishi Weinercar so we upgraded:

image_zps11ca6df6.jpg

Think it was about $2k for nearly three weeks. Worth every penny. Not the most refined car, but less common than Mustangs and make an awesome racket too. People do look at it, the only cars that really outshone ours were the 'vettes and the occasional Challenger. It's not a patch on a Zed, but it works over there and gas is practically free outside California :)

I've done several sections of it. Mainly in Arizona but also parts in New Mexico and California. The road through Oatman in Arizona is quite something, the section that runs through the delightful sounding town of Peach Springs was quite boring TBH although I did this bit in 1981.

Pete

Like I said, me and my girlfriend done it in a brand new 2014 Chevy impala 3.5l v6, really nice car, had a lot of space in boot for suitcases.

If we could have done it in a camaro / challenger / mustang we would, but were under 25, so most companies won't let you rent them under that age.

Still, a good trip to do. Would do it again tomorrow if I could!

Like I said, me and my girlfriend done it in a brand new 2014 Chevy impala 3.5l v6, really nice car, had a lot of space in boot for suitcases.

If we could have done it in a camaro / challenger / mustang we would, but were under 25, so most companies won't let you rent them under that age.

Still, a good trip to do. Would do it again tomorrow if I could!

Yeah, thinking about saving for the next 2 and a bit years till i'm 25 then going over.