Why do people pick 19's over 18's with Grid drifts?

parello9

Basically wanting grid drifts for the zee in white preferably

But I've been looking at Google and US forums and seems they all have 18's?

I actually like both but definatley like the way the 18's concave more compared to the 19s that dish.. but then i like the 19s cause they fill the arch gap and still look equally stunning!

18s

IMG_7473.jpg

19s

IMG_1604.jpg

Just curious to what people say really?

P.S not my pictures, don't wish to get in anyone's bad books, hope its okay :)

19s are more popular just because they're 19s I reckon, and are bigger - they suit the car as it's got big arches :)

All Grids that fit 350/370s are in the Drift range, our Drift range is just the bigger wheels :) Non-drift Grids are 15x7, 16x7 and 17x7.5 :)

If you went for 18s I would suggest 18x9.5 ET20 front and 18x10 ET15 rear to best fill the arches. For 19s it's 19x9.5 ET20 and 19x10.5 ET20 :)

18x9.5 and 18x10 share the same face, and look like this:

med_IKR19518D1P30PCMB0730.jpg

The 19x9.5s are concave, but the same amount as the 18s but over a bigger size, so it looks less so:

med_IKR19519D1P20RLPS0730.jpg

The 19x10.5s have the dish - which is another reason people go for the 19s - they like the dish!

med_IKR21059D1P20PCWH0730.jpg

With regards the GTR / GTR-D thing, the GTR comes in flat face in the 18x8.5:

med_gtr188.5rlsilver.jpg

and concave in 18x9.5:

med_P45R9518D1P12PCGM0730.jpg

The GTR-D is different again, it's like the 8.5 GTR, but with a dish:

med_GTR-D%20Bronze.jpg

Much more popular in the GTR for the Z are the 19s:

med_GTR%20Focus%20Flat%20Black.jpg

gtr1910bronze.jpg

• Like 1

The main reason I think we all go for the 19's is that they have the perfect offset for the Z. No messing around with arch rolling, they are still usable daily and most importantly no spacers are needed at all!

I also think due to the grids lipped design the alloys seems smaller than they actually are.....so the 19's obviously help with that.

0C2B8E24-1017-4B6A-B014-FF3FD1AA69AC-511-000000E249343115_zpscaccf998.jpg

BE82CA77-0E92-4736-8C7D-3A75A6BBCA43-511-000000E2584AD8BF_zps1512522b.jpg

Jet pilots right, you sacrifice tyre profile for wheel diameter. The rolling radius stays almost the same regardless of wheel size. If not you'll throw the Speedo out. Only thing I would say is 19's will make the calipers more visible. If you have piddly little brake calipers, then bigger wheels can make your car look like it's on rollerskates. If you go for a very open wheel I'd make sure you have the calipers and discs to fill them. I run 20" wheels on my car but then I also have huge 6 pot fronts and 4 pot rear calipers mounted on 355mm discs. It all looks in proportion.

Jet pilots right, you sacrifice tyre profile for wheel diameter. The rolling radius stays almost the same regardless of wheel size. If not you'll throw the Speedo out. Only thing I would say is 19's will make the calipers more visible. If you have piddly little brake calipers, then bigger wheels can make your car look like it's on rollerskates. If you go for a very open wheel I'd make sure you have the calipers and discs to fill them. I run 20" wheels on my car but then I also have huge 6 pot fronts and 4 pot rear calipers mounted on 355mm discs. It all looks in proportion.

what i did find was interesting the car dash speedo on stock wheel is out by GPS now ive switched to my 19"s the speedo matches the GPS speed bang on but im running a big radius rear wheel/tyres set up to oem

Stock Speedos tend to over read by 5mph say at 60 mph your actually doing 55, it's not a bad thing I like to think of it as a safety margin. Matching tyre sizes on bigger wheels is often s best fit scenario. And is rare to be dead on the same as original. So as you found the slightly larger rear diameter has increased your rolling radius and.increased your speed compared to the Speedo. Just becareful through the cameras now as 70 for you is 70 and no error margin.

Stock Speedos tend to over read by 5mph say at 60 mph your actually doing 55, it's not a bad thing I like to think of it as a safety margin. Matching tyre sizes on bigger wheels is often s best fit scenario. And is rare to be dead on the same as original. So as you found the slightly larger rear diameter has increased your rolling radius and.increased your speed compared to the Speedo. Just becareful through the cameras now as 70 for you is 70 and no error margin.

Yea this is very true of this but those who see me on the motorway will usually see me on the inside at 60 anyway

i went for the 18'' grid drifts to keep the speedo accurate. plus the fact that alot of other cars cant run 19's without alot of work. Should i sell the 350z or it gets written off i have a useable set of wheels. Plus i dont like the dished look and tyres are easier to get and cheaper. If you want some pics of my wheels on a stock ride height just shout.

i went for the 18'' grid drifts to keep the speedo accurate. plus the fact that alot of other cars cant run 19's without alot of work. Should i sell the 350z or it gets written off i have a useable set of wheels. Plus i dont like the dished look and tyres are easier to get and cheaper. If you want some pics of my wheels on a stock ride height just shout.

Personally if your planning your mods around selling/getting rid/crashing your current car you should be spending money on it,

and if you get correct tyres your speedo shouldn't be effected

Edited by StevoD

crashing is allways an option.. Plus ive dropped about £3k into it so far so im keeping it for a while. Speedo accuracy was my main reason. Others werent as important.

Why would 19's affect the speedo???

It makes zero difference to the size of the actual alloy!!!!!!!!!!

crashing is allways an option.. Plus ive dropped about £3k into it so far so im keeping it for a while. Speedo accuracy was my main reason. Others werent as important.

unless ive read that wrong going from a 18" alloy to a 19" alloy does well change the size of the alloy?

• Like 1

to keep the same rotational diameter on a 19 as stock you need either a 295/35 or a 275/30. 295's rub and 275/30 are very hard to come by. For me it was a easy choice to go 18''. I do sometimes think they look a bit small but with a 20mm drop should be fine.

to keep the same rotational diameter on a 19 as stock you need either a 295/35 or a 275/30. 295's rub and 275/30 are very hard to come by. For me it was a easy choice to go 18''. I do sometimes think they look a bit small but with a 20mm drop should be fine.

245/45/18 to 275/35/19 is 0.44% difference, if you notice that then your better than I am!

unless ive read that wrong going from a 18" alloy to a 19" alloy does well change the size of the alloy?

Hasty post and reads completely wrong your right, lol, an 18 or 19 makes zero difference to speed readings, its all tyre size as has been said :)