Had an idea...

HAMLNJ

I did try searching this but couldn't find anything....my friends new BMW pumps in sound from the exhaust into the cabin through the speakers. Has anyone tried hooking up a crude microphone and auxing it into the speakers? I know microphones has odd frequencys but be interesting.

NO NO NO NO NO

Just no. It's a sh*t idea. BMW don't pump sound in, it's a recorded sound based on what revs and gear the car is in. The BRZ86 and the 991 pump sound in, and it sounds false in the former and not needed in the latter.

• Like 1

Can't remember which car it was but I'm sure I saw one on top gear where you could choose the sound through options in the centre console (fake sound of course). Never understood that idea.

I personally find that opening the window satisfies my cravings for more of the V6 sound :cloud9:

I did try searching this but couldn't find anything....my friends new BMW pumps in sound from the exhaust into the cabin through the speakers. Has anyone tried hooking up a crude microphone and auxing it into the speakers? I know microphones has odd frequencys but be interesting.

You cannot be serious!

The got the idea when a friend moved my car, it sounded awesome from standing outside. So I thought if I could pump in that sound from outside, inside. I could switch it on when I fancy putting my foot down. Might be a little silly but everyone tells me at work how nice it sounds but I can't hear it in the cabin. I just need to get an exhaust I know!!

Can't remember which car it was but I'm sure I saw one on top gear where you could choose the sound through options in the centre console (fake sound of course). Never understood that idea.

I personally find that opening the window satisfies my cravings for more of the V6 sound :cloud9:

^^This. :D I'd save some cash up if I was you HAMLNJ and just get a nice induction kit & exhaust system ~ that way you'll definitely hear the engine no problem. ;)

I currently have a BMW Z4 3.0si coupe. There is a sound generator mod that a lot of folk try. Basically there is a plastic pipe that runs from the air intake box to the bulk head, just underneath the glove box. Th plastic pipe has 2 pieces of foam inserted, one at the air box side and another in the bulkhead side.

The mod basically involves removing one or both pieces of foam, depending on how much induction noise you want transferred inside the drivers cabin. The foam acts as an acoustic barrier but allows a bit of induction noise through, removing the foam increases the induction noise inside the cabin.

Not all Z4's have the sound generator fitted as standard but i'm sure it can be retrofitted. Also this mod does not increase induction noise outside the car, it only applies to inside. I think BMW's sound proofing is pretty good at reducing engine noise inside the cabin, but this mod is more suited to folk wishing to hear more of there straight 6.

Finally, i have read recently that BMW, along with other manufacturers are fitting devices that emit a sound recording to enhance the engine note of there car but i see this as totally artificial and not to my liking, whereas the sound generator mod that can be applied to my car is simply allowing more of my engine's noise pass through the sound proofing.

Hope this makes sence!

• Like 1

:ban:
  • Like 1

Sounds a bit sad to me, next there will be a thread about running a hose from the air-con unit in the cabin to get more cold air to the intake and increase BHP :wacko: seriously I have see the question asked on another forum.

that sounds like a cracking idea!!!

Sounds a bit sad to me, next there will be a thread about running a hose from the air-con unit in the cabin to get more cold air to the intake and increase BHP :wacko: seriously I have see the question asked on another forum.

that sounds like a cracking idea!!!

+1!!

Now I just feel like a numpty. I'll crawl back into a little black hole now with my ipad and buy some upgrades. I appreciate all your comments. Just ones of those thoughts that take a few people down the pub to say what are you on?

• Like 1

Also just to add... I only have one window as my drivers side motor has gone. Job for next month, I don't have an induction yet... Or an exhaust upgrade. But on another note I'm having the car under sealed next week, new exhaust and my wheels refurbed and sprayed. So I'll post some pictures of that if anyone is interested? Maybe a little better thread than this one?

Also just to add... I only have one window as my drivers side motor has gone. Job for next month, I don't have an induction yet... Or an exhaust upgrade. But on another note I'm having the car under sealed next week, new exhaust and my wheels refurbed and sprayed. So I'll post some pictures of that if anyone is interested? Maybe a little better thread than this one?

Just to let you know mate theres a window motor fix in the guides section, my drivers window packed in but its been perfect since the fix

• Like 1