The New 2015 Civic Type R & NSX.

Suits

Now I understand that this may not be members cup of tea but I hope it's interesting to you all non the less.

I'm a bit of Honda nut at heart and have a very healthy love for their cars and ventures.

Now after the extremely successful EP3 CTR which ran from '02-'06 the next generation CTR was the FN2.

The FN2 was a bit of a let down, it had the same excellent 2.0L NA K20 engine with an adjusted fuel map and revised exhaust system producing 1 additional HP but the car was a lot heavier, with electrical toys and better furnishings. It also had a torsion bar suspension system at the rear as opposed to the previous sully independent system of the EP3. These were just some of the differences between the two cars.

To the layman these things are very minimal and in the real world matter nothing, in fact, they made day to day use of the car possibly better.

But the Honda motorsport kind did not approve, as I'm sure you can all imagine, it seemed like a step back.

They made their feelings known.

Honda in all the time I was involved with them were always very helpful and friendly often lending us cars, inviting us to test cars an generally giving the community a 'your opinion matters' feeling.

Honda stated in 2010 that they would be focussing their efforts into the future and would be working on Hybrid technology, the Mugen CRZ was a fine example but seemed to be just a showcase stop gap. It wasn't really a true Honda sports car. They even stated that the next generation of Civic's wouldn't include a Type R version, a possible Type S would be available but it would be a diesel.

FAIL

Back to now and with Honda's re-entry back into F1 in 2014 and with the success of the BTCC team, Honda stated in 2012 that it would bring back the Type R and set out to re-establish itself in the hot hatch market as the daddy. Something they had since lost from the EP3 to Renault and its fantastic Megan's.

Honda had set a benchmark to what the new CTR would be set to achieve, to be the quickest FWD hatchback round the Nurburgring. Something that is currently held by Renault's RS Megane 265 Trophy at 8 minutes 7.97 seconds.

A serious claim.

Anywho, after various little dribbles of information and news it appears that the new CTR will be a 2.2 litre turbo lump and will have a new 4 wheel steer system to help it get around the green hell in under 8 minutes 7 seconds. Being boosted VTEC will probably be dropped and the new redline will be a lot lower, looks like about 7000rpm as per the video below, which is a hell of a shame but something new I'm excited about non the less. The engine note is a little different to what Honda fans are used too but has a good ring to it non the less, this though is still likely to change once the car itself is sorted and the fine tuning can begin.

The car is being built and tested in Europe with the UK Swindon plant being tasked with some serious parts.

The first round of testing ending in the car going back to the drawing board for the chassis as it just wasn't working and has since been re-worked and is back out the Ring testing again with each and every snap and un-official video showing further changes.

A few of the lads that work in Honda are getting to find out about various little nuggets of information like paint colours being tested and that Team Dynamics wheel will be used, which is hardly a surprise from the BTCC link.

Today provided some further news as Matt Neal posted a picture on his Twitter account of what is extremely likely to be the new CTR under further track testing at what looks like Rockingham.

So yeah, hopefully this was remotely interesting to some of you and is a sight into the dark side or FWD cars :lol: .

1382279302789.jpg

Some Honda press teaser vids too.

Edited by Suits
  • Like 1

Seen some info about this a month or two ago on CTRO (Civic Type R Owners club). Does look good but my EP3 would never have been so good imo without it's 8K rpm redline so the new Civic having a lower rev limit and not being N/a powered is a bit of a disappointment to me. But I'm sure it will still be a great car as Honda is a great manufacturer and who doesn't like a Turbo. :DB)

Not a fan of 5 door hatches. I can understand the practicality of them, but who buys a 250-300bhp hatch for its practicality? 3 door in my opinion always looks better than 5, which is one reason I'm highly unlikely to ever buy this or the likes of the Seat Leon despite them being great cars.

• Like 1

Not a fan of 5 door hatches. I can understand the practicality of them, but who buys a 250-300bhp hatch for its practicality? 3 door in my opinion always looks better than 5, which is one reason I'm highly unlikely to ever buy this or the likes of the Seat Leon despite them being great cars.

someone who has kids and wants to go fast and be able to put the kids in without dislocating their hip fighting to get round a folding front seat. the hidden style of the 2 rear doors helps. agreed 3 door looks more flush, but not everyone is childless.

I personally think the car might be a bit rubbish. They are trying to beat a time and not make a better car. If you offered me an Astra Vxr or a nice ep3 id take the civic as its just a great car.

Yes, that is a valid concern.

The end result might be something too stiff and hardcore.

If they can get the balance right, or even just better than the FN2 it will be a success I'm sure. The heady lightweight, totally toyless days of the EP3 have gone. Put something like that on the market now as a range topper and it will get destroyed.

The appeal of this for me definitely the fact it has 5 doors, a boot, my Mrs can drive it, baby seats go in the back and I can thrash it about Spa when the chance presents itself.

Compare that to the 370Z and it's obvious why I have hopes pinned on it.

I have been tempted to get another EP3 but it will never be as good as my previous one that was a brand new '55 Premier Edition. Even if I got the last run '06 cars they're going to be a worn now, I mean it would be 8 years old next year !!!

I suppose only time will tell, but from what Honda are saying and aiming for with this car, it's already much better than the last car, so if you're in the market for a stiff fast Honda then so far, it's looking good :) .

Was the fn2 that much heavier? I can remember the ep3 was moaned about as that was quite abit heavier than the ek9 I think.

I still love ek9's. I had a 172 a while ago and it was fun and exciting etc etc whilst being fast enough. Giving it nearly 300bhp might be the wrong move IMO. The suspension was perfect for b road blasts IMO. The only car I thought the suspension didn't need toyed with.

Would a gt86 not do it for you?

Was the fn2 that much heavier? I can remember the ep3 was moaned about as that was quite abit heavier than the ek9 I think.

I still love ek9's. I had a 172 a while ago and it was fun and exciting etc etc whilst being fast enough. Giving it nearly 300bhp might be the wrong move IMO. The suspension was perfect for b road blasts IMO. The only car I thought the suspension didn't need toyed with.

Would a gt86 not do it for you?

The EP3 was stiff and had better suspension which made it more agile, the FN2 wasn't that much heavier but it was less stiff, then combine that with the extra pounds and it felt like a lot more. It just didn't 'feel' right.

EK9 was the ultimate raw beastie, I've never had the pleasure though :( . My mate is currently looking to get a Jordan as a track car.

Sport Honda's up until now have all been desgined in Japan on the Tsukuba and Motegi circuits among others, tight technical circuits, then further tested on the Touge tracks, which makes them perfect little B road blasters.

The power thing I think is the one marketing move that Honda have made on the car. If all the other company's hot hatchs are pushing 300hp and Honda release a 250hp car then it's already on the back foot, so they've deciced on 300hp all through the front wheels. The suspension will have to be top draw to nail that down, do 60% of the breaking and steer the car, albeit that the rear wheel steer system will help with that.

That said, if the Green Hell is the target and with it's long fast sections the CTR will need that power to beat it's rivals.

GT86 would be cool but not as a family car, the Civic with it's 5 doors, FWD and boot seem appealing at the moment. Anyway, this is all still a long way away, like you say, the CTR may be poor.

The 370Z is here to stay for a while yet, even to the point I'd like to keep it and still get a more family focused car.

I have serious doubts over this. It's one thing to create a great hot hatch (like Renault), it's another to create something that is just great at the Ring. Honda haven't done anything of note in terms of suspension or engine design in almost 10 years now, so they'd have to do something spectacular to make a car better than the current Megane RS.

Even if it is quicker round the Ring, that may not necessarily make it a great car. The 918 has done a 6'57", which by all accounts is significantly quicker than the more powerful and lighter P1, but you just know that on a regular circuit the P1 will monster the 918. Not exactly apples with apples, I know, but being good at the Ring doesn't mean a massive amount other than bragging rights.

• Like 1

The NSX however looks stunning. Any ideas what the specs would be?

Well, due for a world wide release in 2015, it's to be AWD, V6 mid mounted petrol engine driving the rear wheels through a 7 speed double clutch gearbox, then with two electric motors driving the front wheels.

About 400hp has been suggested and massive torque delivered from the front electric motors too.

That's all I know, sounds cool though :) .