Distribution of wealth in America

Adrian@TORQEN

Same as it ever was, the same proportions of wealth distribution hold true for this country and its getting worse.

Never has the lack of independence and freedom of the average man or woman on the street from not only the financial but political machinations of the elite, who keep telling us they have our best interests at heart, been so obvious. Again, same as it ever was.

Remember, don't listen to what they say, watch what they do, this is the key.

• Like 1

Strictly in relation to the UK, something which has been concerning me for the last few years are the following kind of statistics.

Average UK salary in 1999 / 2000: £23,000 pa

Average UK house / home cost 1999 / 2000: £98,000

Average UK salary in Nov 2012: £26,500 pa

Average UK house / home cost ONS Sept 2013: £247,000

This does not relate specifically to wealth distribution in America but does make me wonder about 'wealth', transfer of wealth or lack thereof in the UK?

Edited by Bockaaarck
  • Like 1

Strictly in relation to the UK, something which has been concerning me for the last few years are the following kind of statistics.

Average UK salary in 1999 / 2000: £23,000 pa

Average UK house / home cost 1999 / 2000: £98,000

Average UK salary in Nov 2012: £26,500 pa

Average UK house / home cost ONS Sept 2013: £247,000

This does not relate specifically to wealth distribution in America but does make me wonder about 'wealth', transfer of wealth or lack thereof in the UK?

Ouch!

Indeed, there are many layers of finance, economics, opportunity, innovation, regulation (or lack of) and so on.

It's an extremely complex maelstrom of factors - influences, gambles, predictions, statistics and experience (good and bad) from all sorts of arenas which have an impact on something as simple as putting fuel in your Zed, putting dinner on the table or putting a roof over your head.

The cost of fuel has increased, rail travel cost are increasing, gas / electricty power costs are increasing. Even the cost of the weekly shop is increasing (those nice chocolate / cereal bars I like have reduced in size and yet the cost has increased...mmmmm)

It creeps up on us gradually but I think it's something we ignore at our peril. What's driving these increases? ( a multitude if factors of course). Where will it end and how will it impact us all?

I'm not sure I see the problem. Seriously.

I see what you did there.

Put less bluntly, on the flip side, America has a much greater culture of philanthropy than most countries:

npe_gusacover1.jpg

Individual and Family Philanthropy

• 88% of households give to charity.1
  • The average annual household contribution is $2,213 while the mean is $870.1
  • Americans gave $298.3 billion in 2011. This reflects a 3.9% increase from 2010.2
  • Corporate giving held steady in 2011 at $14.55 billion.2
  • Foundation giving increased in 2011 to $41.67 billion--a 1.8% increase from 2010.4
  • In 2011, the largest source of charitable giving came from individuals at $217.79 billion, or 73% of total giving; followed by foundations ($41.67 billion/14%), bequests ($24.41 billion/8%), and corporations ($14.55 billion/5%).2
  • In 2011, the majority of charitable dollars went to religion (32%), education (13%), human services (12%), and grantmaking foundations (9%).2
  • International Affairs organizations experienced the largest giving increase in 2011, receiving 7.6% more than the previous year, making the two-year increase more than 15%.2
  • Charitable giving accounted for 2% of gross domestic product in 2010.2
  • Historically, charitable giving rises about one-third as fast as the stock market.3
  • It is estimated that between $6.6 trillion and $27.4 trillion in charitable bequests will be made between 1998-2052.5
  • It is estimated total charitable contributions will total between $21.2 to $55.4 trillion in between 1998-2052.5
  • By the year 2055, some $41 trillion will change hands as Americans pass on their accumulated assets to the next generation.5
  • 95% of high net worth households give to charity.6
  • 62% of high net worth donors cite “giving back to the community†as a chief motivation for giving.6
  • Last year, the greatest percentage of high net worth households gave to educational (80 percent) and basic needs (79 percent) organizations, followed by 69% to the arts, 65% to health related organizations, and 65% to religious organizations.6
  • In 2010, 140 of the largest charities reported receiving $1.2 billion in online donations, compared to the $887 million received in 2009.7

I'm not sure I see the problem. Seriously.

I see what you did there.

:lol:

No, genuinely, I don't see why anyone sees this as an issue. I wasn't trying to be clever or witty (I know, there's a first! :p ), I really can't understand why any one would be surprised or make a fuss over this. As a point of balance though, did you know that the top 1% of earners in this country pay almost 30% of all income tax?

Strictly talking about the UK as I don't know about the US but everything has gone up a lot tho, four years ago when I got my Audi it used to cost me £50 to brim it now it costs £75. As others have said food has gone up a lot four years ago a shop for me and my girlfriend would cost £25 it's now double that. And wages are just @*!# I know there are a lot of well paid people on this site but myself have an average job working full time and get £13500 a year which is peanuts against the price of everyday living expenses. The wages need to increase, a friend of mine is an nvq level three in child care so spent three years in college and now been at the same nursery for about three years and gets £900 a month how is that fare when child care is so bloody expencive.

One word: Taxes. Well, strictly speaking business taxes. They're still too high, and coupled with the VAT rate as well as having to shell out PAYE and NIC it's surprisingly expensive trying to run a business. Certainly if these were reduced we could afford to pay our guys better (not that they're underpaid for this sector by any margin), but the government won't do that this side of an election as it just plays into the hands of the Labour lot. They'll decry "THEY'RE CUTTING THE TAXES FROM THE WEALTHY!" quicker than Saville would look at a schoolie.

It's all about the public perception, and unfortunately the public are too stupid to understand what needs to be done.

I recommend, if you can find 30 mins, watching this:

Very depressing but makes 100% sense, and explains to some degree why every government in the world is in debt....Just hope it doesn't all come crashing down in our generation, though given how close we came to it last time round it is a bit scary!!

Very depressing but makes 100% sense, and explains to some degree why every government in the world is in debt....Just hope it doesn't all come crashing down in our generation, though given how close we came to it last time round it is a bit scary!!

You have to take a bit of a step back, but the basic premises of the video seem correct to me. Of course it's sensible not to take one thing like this video as being the 100% one and only truth. A bit more digging around is probably very sensible, like most things, taking in a number of view points is important.

Capitalism working nicely and it works even better when essential economic sectors are privatised and de-regulated. What could be more responsible than a bonus lead top management tier of a big bank or energy firm or water company or supermarket being allowed free reign of its respective sector under the illusion of competition and consumer choice as the best form of regulation?

• Like 1

You have to take a bit of a step back, but the basic premises of the video seem correct to me. Of course it's sensible not to take one thing like this video as being the 100% one and only truth. A bit more digging around is probably very sensible, like most things, taking in a number of view points is important.

Ofcourse the guy doing the video has his own agenda...after all the financial support for the video comes from a website called 'Gold and Silver', but it's the first time I've seen a creditable explanation as to why every government in the world is in debt....and inflation is something which is really starting to be noticeable. 10-15% increase in basic essentials such as electricity/gas bills whilst average earnings are hardly going up? And the now house prices are going back up all supported by money the government has 'magically' found/printed....what could possibly go wrong :)