Fukushima! do people realise we could all be fudged!

Sempiternal

Im going to open a dialogue and gauge forum members thoughts on the subject

Fukushima is potentially going to be Ultra bad! if they don't fix this. i'l discuss some of my thoughts and what i believe i know.

Storage tanks these things http://eandt.theiet....shima-water.cfm

There is hundreds if not thousands of tons of radiated water being pumped into 1000 ton storage tanks dotted around the site!!... And it has no where to go!! lets hope there isnt a earthquake and they start to split!! (which has sort of already happened sigh)- yes tanks have started to spring leaks..

Ocean contamination,, reports that in 6 years the entire pacific ocean will be contaminated!! (Possibly if you happen to watch youtube news vids)-- and all the while Japan puts 1 and half billion towards the Olympic games their hosting and only half a bill to Tepco's clean up operation **** the olympics i think japan aint taken this serious yet!

Ok if the pacific is radiated, hope people dont like eating Tuna,, even now Blue fin tuna have a migratory route from the east coast of Japan to the west coast of America, And these tuna's will be eating smaller fishies which in turn will be eating plankton which plankton will be absorbing nuclear deposits. So reverse that process and you see how tuna could potentially carry cesium etc etc.

Ok back to the plant

3 cores went into meltdown, heres a diagram of one of the reactors http://mrzine.monthl.../ucs130311.html

for those who dont know much about this or what their looking at

The brief is a Tsunami hit the plant - the plant then lowered its control rods inside the reactor which in turn stops criticality or critical mass from happening, and then at the same time the back up generators switched on and happily pumped coolant through the core. This was fine and would still be fine today, except the backup generators got flooded, stopped and then 3 cores stopped being cooled. And then went into meltdown...

Ok back to the plant

an overwhelming amount of radiated water storage is happening and their still pumping water.from what i know i haven't seen any evidence to suggest anyone knows where the melted cores have gone.Put it this way if they burnt through the reactor vessel, then in turn they could burn through the concrete basin.

Well if this is the case, think about this. They built the bloody power plant on top of a fricken river, a natural underground stream to the sea... Well add that to a molten core making its way (potentially) to mother earth, that ain't going to be a happy mix no it aint!.

If anyone is asking well why don't they clean this mess up,Put it this way if u could make it into the melted cores to attempt to dig it up to get rid of it... Well if you did attempt that you wont be living very long.Infact to do this i would imagine that. You would need an army as big as china's a line of men to die for their country. I just don't see that happening ?

Although they did in Chernobyl and they were called the liquidators a lot of them are no longer alive, and many met a fair grisly end

back to Fukushima! seriously people this aint over its (possibly) radiating the pacific ocean they have already detected it off Hawaii. Food for thought you know where rain comes from!

Theres possible cover ups going on between tepco and the Japanese government which btw owns Tepco now, I believe their covering up how much if any cesium found its way(maybe?) to Tokyo. For those that don't know much about cesium i wont type an essay but cesium 137 comes from the nuclear fission of uranium and plutonium in nuclear reactors. Just 2 grams of this stuff would be enough to make New York uninhabitable

Not saying any of this made its way to tokyo but if it did! - your probably see a cancer increase infact this is probably going to be all of japan is going to see an increase!

i could totally see a mass evacution of Japan in my life time - its possible, Fukushima is a mess and i don't think we have seen the full magnitude of the problem (or maybe we have)

Ok guys discuss its totally topical, im tired my grammar is non existent and the whole post is just meant to make you think what if,,

opinions feelings thoughts anyone

Rob

Edited by Sempiternal

Its nowhere near as bad as Chernobyl and I dont recall that affecting anyone outside of Ukraine really ........... as far as Ive read theres no real current concern about the cores "melting into the earth" like there was immediately after the disaster, getting rid of the irradiated water is an issue but its not like they are just pumping it into the sea is it?

My hope and belief would that if it was shown that dangerous levels of radiation are leaking into the Pacific then the whole world would get involved to fix it, and like I say, Chernobyl was much worse but was eventually controlled.

I found it very annoying that the Japanese government decided to spend $29 million from its tsunami reconstruction fund to improve its whaling hunts instead of it being used for what it was intended for. Whale hunting is bad enough and is banned and the Japanese's lame excuse saying its for scientific purposes, is just lies.

• Like 2

ok guys discuss or bury your head in the sand all is good

I read through your rant, and managed to mostly ignore your lack of punctuation or use of capital without getting too worked up as you make some good points.

But this last statement pi**ed me off.

Just because someone does not wish to discuss something with you doesn't mean they are putting their head in the sand. Some people don't have the knowledge base or the training to be able to sufficiently take all the information in and come to a reasonable conclusion.

Also.....this is a genuine question not a rant.....but what is your background and how to does that show that you know anymore of the truth of nuclear vessels or operations than the next person? You may be a nuclear physicist for all I know, you didn't make that clear in your initial post.

Edited by Lexx

I read through your rant, and managed to mostly ignore your lack of punctuation or use of capital without getting too worked up as you make some good points.

Just because someone does not wish to discuss something with you doesn't mean they are putting their head in the sand. Some people don't have the knowledge base or the training to be able to sufficiently take all the information in and come to a reasonable conclusion.

Also.....this is a genuine question not a rant.....but what is your background and how to does that show that you know anymore of the truth of nuclear vessels or operations than the next person? You may be a nuclear physicist for all I know, you didn't make that clear in your initial post.

I'd be interested to know all the sources of your information
  • Like 1

hey lexx im going to delete that sentence i work nights , so glass of wine or 2 its my bed time lol sigh, ill get rid of it, it was meant to be thought provoking but hey ho

oh yea you asked, i did physics in school, and now i regret not taking it in uni, its more of a hobby now and im taking up open uni courses to see how far i could of gone ten years ago

so i suppose with the understanding i have, if i watch a news bulletin or podcast etc. And i see a report of say cesium 137 found in fish off hawaii my initial thoughts is, cesium 137 gives off gamma rays cant be good.

Edited by Sempiternal

I'd be interested to know all the sources of your information

yes ive started to add them to the original post, i will admit past couple nights ive watched everything i could find on RT news podcasts and youtube again alot of news snippets gets put on youtube, ive been watching hours of the stuff

il back track through my history and keep adding the relevant ones

If the Daily Mail is a single one of your sources I will just hold my hands up in defeat.....

Hold on.....YouTube and news clips are your source of all this factual information? I take it all back, everything you have said is 100% truth and I worry about the influx of Japanese immigrant heading to our shores.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

If the Daily Mail is a single one of your sources I will just hold my hands up in defeat.....

Hold on.....YouTube and news clips are your source of all this factual information? I take it all back, everything you have said is 100% truth and I worry about the influx of Japanese immigrant heading to our shores.

It's on the internet! It must be true!

• Like 1

Its nowhere near as bad as Chernobyl and I dont recall that affecting anyone outside of Ukraine really ........... as far as Ive read theres no real current concern about the cores "melting into the earth" like there was immediately after the disaster, getting rid of the irradiated water is an issue but its not like they are just pumping it into the sea is it?

My hope and belief would that if it was shown that dangerous levels of radiation are leaking into the Pacific then the whole world would get involved to fix it, and like I say, Chernobyl was much worse but was eventually controlled.

With chernobyl it had the benefit of being built inland and not connected to any of the worlds vast oceans! this to me is my concern,

how much radioactive material made it into the pacific and of course, how much more is getting into the sea!

However, and more seriously, whilst I don't doubt that there is a lot (and that's a massive understatement) of clean up works still to do at Fukushima, neither do I believe that it's of immediate concern. I'm basing that on very rough knowledge of the info around me, plus a vague idea of how nuclear reactors work these days, and that kinda suits me for now. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong and we'll deal with it as a world community if/when something bag happens.

I agree that it was a bit worrying when the whole thing went tits up due to the tsunami, but I don't buy into conspiracy theories, especially if it's one which suggests that the Japanese government is covering up this mess which puts the whole world at serious and imminent danger. What a load of crap!

everything i said is 100% truth whats that meant to mean, im trying to gauge what people think,

for instance the water storage tanks are real, and the production for more and more tanks are real

ok so that part is true

and the rest is a discussion, the plant is built on top of a river and it does flow out to sea <-- so now you could see why this is potentially bad

and yes i look all over the net / news channels, and they report that Tepco cant officially say where the corium is! so again if that got out the containment building how would this not be bad

i just want people to discuss

yes im tired glass of wine,, by the look of it i need to rewrite the topic, but hey its got people discussing and people should be aware

we only got one earth

Rob

...especially given the amount of Japanese who have died since the disaster who went in at great risk to themselves to try and sort it out.

There are You Tube videos that tell you anything - you can select any theory you like and find a video that supports it.

ok 6 years the pacific is radiated, hope people dont like eating Tuna,,

Okay.. so i used to enjoy eating tuna when it was 25p a can, but this last few weeks ive had a look and its pushing nearly 90p for some crappy small can of the stuff now, so thats well out of my price range. Talk about inflation! Wish my salary had gone up nearly 4 times in the same time frame!!!

I did physics at school too! I got a B in my GCSEs, I have absolutely no clue what I am doing posting here......

But seriously, you do realise that the sea itself and the products beneath it's bed contain radioactivity, don't you? Such things as NORM (naturally occuring radioactive material) and LSA (low scale activity)

Now if we have to break containment on any of our production and seawater cooling pipelines offshore we need to be suited up and have somebody there to take a reading. If the reading is too high then the ends are sealed and the part being removed is quarantined. By quarantined I mean wrapped up in a bag and shipped back to shore to be destroyed.

Also....everything has a level of NORM, just not at a high enough level to cause any harm.

As far as my understanding goes, if there is radioactive contamination going into the sea, won't it just be soaked up and diluted right down to the point where it is of similar strength to the LSA and NORM that we encounter every day?

Excuse the kind of roundabout way that I have done this.....I'm cack at explaining what is in my melon!

• Like 1

To be fair to the op, some of the comments are correct but some are also false. Currently there is no major risk from the power plant but the long term disposal of the radiated water is a small concern. Providing the control rods are not removed and fresh water is able to circulate the reactor then there is no danger.

Chenobyl did the exact opposite and wrong thing and removed the control rods which allowed the reactor to reach critical mass.

The reason I feel I can comment is because I used to design a nuclear reactor for a famous British company (oddly people in this thread seem to be justifying their knowledge)

I did physics at school too! I got a B in my GCSEs, I have absolutely no clue what I am doing posting here......

But seriously, you do realise that the sea itself and the products beneath it's bed contain radioactivity, don't you? Such things as NORM (naturally occuring radioactive material) and LSA (low scale activity)

Excuse the kind of roundabout way that I have done this.....I'm cack at explaining what is in my melon!

Yup agree, there is background radiation but thats different to i suppose if you want to call it man made. i guess like me you didnt take it further like uni etc (physics that is)

Chenobyl did the exact opposite and wrong thing and removed the control rods which allowed the reactor to reach critical mass.

The reason I feel I can comment is because I used to design a nuclear reactor for a famous British company (oddly people in this thread seem to be justifying their knowledge)

I could be wrong but i thought it was dropping the control rods that caused a power surge.. I thought cause they were graphite, that when they lowered it caused a spike in the chain reaction!.. which then turned out to be a design flaw? under certain operating conditions?

Edited by Sempiternal

I could be wrong but i thought it was dropping the control rods that caused a power surge.. I thought cause they were graphite, that when they lowered it caused a spike in the chain reaction!.. which then turned out to be a design floor? under certain operating conditions?

You're literally talking about nuclear physics and you cant tell the difference between design floor and design flaw?

• Like 1

Dropping the control rods into the core will stop the reaction as then the reaction is flooded in essence. Most modern reactor designs incorporate a fail safe where by, if the reactor overheats the rods are dropped automatically by mechanical means. The rods are composed of graphite.

Apologies for the reply not being very detailed but I have to be a little careful about what info I'm allowed to give out

• Like 1

It is my hope that the radiation will create a species of enormous and very angry super-whales that will turn the tables on the [insert expletive of your choice] who kill these incredibly majestic, intelligent and wonderful creatures in the obviously bogus name of scientific research! :angry:

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 2