350z vs Honda S2000

sambo

having driven both on track, and on road, the zed is marginally quicker, what it benefits with is the torque curve that the S2k doesn't have. even tested it on forza 4, husky and I drove both on there and the zed still has the acceleration edge. but in the real world I found the Honda far more rewarding and enjoyable to drive. it could have been the roof down action and the high rev engine, but it was a proper b road bomber. and if you're new to RWD I'd say the 350Z is the better choice. its far more forgiving if you over cook it.

...and if you're new to RWD I'd say the 350Z is the better choice. its far more forgiving if you over cook it.

Ain't this the truth.

The S2000 is insanely stiff, couple that with 50/50 weight and it's like a spinning top.

I had mine on coilovers and when it goes, it's gone, you need to be super sharp to catch it.

I span one year coming out of Eau Rouge at Spa, at about 80 and I thought I was dead. It also spat me out on the Ring at Brunchenn but I managed to catch it well enough to just end up power sliding around the whole bend then pulling up on the grass. Needed new knickers and a glass of milk afterwards though. It really is a edgy son of a swine, but when you get it right it's so rewarding. If you've not guessed mine was a non ESP version.

Compare this to my 370Z ( I know it's not 350Z) and the experience is a much more controlled affair. The body has more flex and is more forgiving. You get that extra second of lightness that tells you the back is alive and you can counter it and control it.

The slides I was getting at an airfield day recently were a world apart from what control I had in the S2000.

If the S2000 has a 1 second window the 370Z has a 3 second gap. I would expect the 350Z to be similar.

If I was a better driver, I may have enjoyed the S2000 perhaps more. But I'm not and at times it was scary. SRSLY.

...and if you're new to RWD I'd say the 350Z is the better choice. its far more forgiving if you over cook it.

Ain't this the truth.

The S2000 is insanely stiff, couple that with 50/50 weight and it's like a spinning top.

I had mine on coilovers and when it goes, it's gone, you need to be super sharp to catch it.

I span one year coming out of Eau Rouge at Spa, at about 80 and I thought I was dead. It also spat me out on the Ring at Brunchenn but I managed to catch it well enough to just end up power sliding around the whole bend then pulling up on the grass. Needed new knickers and a glass of milk afterwards though. It really is a edgy son of a swine, but when you get it right it's so rewarding. If you've not guessed mine was a non ESP version.

Compare this to my 370Z ( I know it's not 350Z) and the experience is a much more controlled affair. The body has more flex and is more forgiving. You get that extra second of lightness that tells you the back is alive and you can counter it and control it.

The slides I was getting at an airfield day recently were a world apart from what control I had in the S2000.

If the S2000 has a 1 second window the 370Z has a 3 second gap. I would expect the 350Z to be similar.

If I was a better driver, I may have enjoyed the S2000 perhaps more. But I'm not and at times it was scary. SRSLY.

Interesting reading :) I found my Rx7 that also has 50/50 weight bias would give you plenty of warning if it was about to let go and if it did go was very very controllable unless you had a lead right boot and were totally ham fisted. Found the Zed very similar to be fair, nice early warning and a progressive slide with time to get off the throttle a bit or correct the steering.

:lol: getting off the throttle is the worst thing you can do, go against instinct and get your foot in !!

Coming off just catches grip, bites and tank slaps the hell out if you !!

S2000's are pretty well known for being unforgiving.

Depends how far out the tail is ;)

Pretty sure that all S2000s are on coilovers, are they not?

A lot of it is to do with the geo of the cars, as well as the suspension setup. The later cars also moved to decent rubber, as well as bigger and heavier wheels. They're not a particularly snappy or bad-handling car, but much like the CGT you have to know what you're doing with regards to setup to get the most out of them.

Pretty sure that all S2000s are on coilovers, are they not?

A lot of it is to do with the geo of the cars, as well as the suspension setup. The later cars also moved to decent rubber, as well as bigger and heavier wheels. They're not a particularly snappy or bad-handling car, but much like the CGT you have to know what you're doing with regards to setup to get the most out of them.

The OEM dampers and springs are non adjustable man.

Mine was on Bilstiens and I had a FRSU done, then tweaked to suit me by Tom at TGM.

I also had the better OEM S2 17's that improved things loads.

It was set up pretty well man but I don't profess to be a driving master, I know what's what's but that's only 10% of being able to do it.

I had it round Castle Coombe in day and it was proper on song that day on that circuit, that and a few certain laps of the Ring are my fondest memories of that car.

i upgraded my S2k wheels to 18" oz Superleggeras, and had my Geo done by Dixon motorsport. with the bigger wheels, wider tread and lower profile tyres it actually made the S2K a far more responsive car. in terms of increased grip and feedback. must have just been enough to take the raw edge off the stock setup.

compare that to the zed because of its weight it was far more forgiving. like suits said i reckon it was a bout a 3 second difference between them on reaction time. you can still get it wrong in a 350, but it wouldn't punish you as much as the honda did if you mistreated it. its why the S2k has a higher insurance, even though its marginally slower. and it picked up the nickname widow maker.

but that's why i think i had more fun the s2k than i ever did in the zed. the zed felt to safe and sensible. to get it to the edge you had to push really hard. to a point that with most drivers their skill would run out before the cars did. you could drive it without really having to try. it made even bad drivers look good. but the S2K you really had to think about it, match the gears and the revs, the speed, balance the throttle, and when you got it right it was beautiful.

Mine was on Bilstiens and I had a FRSU done, then tweaked to suit me by Tom at TGM.

I had it round Castle Coombe in day and it was proper on song that day on that circuit, that and a few certain laps of the Ring are my fondest memories of that car.

Here is what I was running geo wise and a few pics from those times I mentioned.

Loved this car :cloud9: .

FRSU.jpg

NSring.jpg

_DSC2527.jpg

I'm not splitting hairs, I'm being correct.

It's no different to saying "My car had alloys fitted to it", when you really mean that you had put some aftermarket wheels on. We shouldn't except people being wrong as the norm, especially with terminology.

I'm not splitting hairs, I'm being correct.

It's no different to saying "My car had alloys fitted to it", when you really mean that you had put some aftermarket wheels on. We shouldn't except people being wrong as the norm, especially with terminology.

My car had adjustable Bilstien (one way, non damping) coilovers fitted in place of the OEM set up :) .

You can make a zed great fun to drive with some money

My car is raw as hell as handles like its on rails. It does bite if you don't treat it with respect. The acceleration is very aggressive and the ride is quite stiff.

I know for a fact that I can throw my car round be roads very quickly as anybody that's been on a run will testify.

Even on a small track like Knockhill the Lotus's, clios sports & s2000's have issues on the twisties trying against me in my car without running nos. The combination of roll cage, kw's, arbs, arms and my wheel allignment makes my car awesome to drive. There's minimal body flex and roll and the car is very responsive.

I will however say that getting the zed to this point is very expensive and time consuming and if you had to do the same on the s2000 there's no doubt it would be even better than the zed. However it is possible to make the zed a very capable car.

but like you said neil your car isn't stock, its like comparing apples and pears. like you said, you have to spend a lot to get it there. when comparing both stock out of the box its a different story.

i do agree fully. Stock zed is pants IMO. Feels wollowy like a boat and very unsettled.

but like you said neil your car isn't stock, its like comparing apples and pears. like you said, you have to spend a lot to get it there. when comparing both stock out of the box its a different story.

i do agree fully. Stock zed is pants IMO. Feels wollowy like a boat and very unsettled.

I think thats a bit of an over exageration, I mean it could be a lot better and it's pretty easy to make it better but I wouldn't say it's like a boat out the box!

Edited by nowhereboy

I did look at the S2000, but had a four cylinder 944 with 3 litres and the associated torque before and felt that I didnt want a peaky engine, I like the Zeds waft factor, you dont have to thrap it to get moving and its happy ambling, the S2000 seems a bit hyperactive realtive to what I wanted, I wanted the top down aspect so got a convertible Zed, probably not as pretty as the S2K but has its own thing going, I love the looks of the S2K but always think the windscreen looks too upright.

Not going to slag one off because I have the other, it was a tough call, I found it easier to ignore ther Boxster and Z4, again both great cars but the Boxster has the engine issues of IMS/RMS and the Z4 is perhaps a little too smooth for its own good, someone on Pistonheads likened the 350Z to a big daft dog on a slippery floor which I kind of liked, it has personality, the Z4 seemed a bit aloof. MX5s are great also but 150 or so bhp wants going to cut it.

It is however nice to have this kind of choice of quality coupes and roadsters at pretty affordable prices, ok the VED on the 350 Z is horrific, as are post 2006 S2K's but insurance is suprisingly reasonable and running costs not as horrific as some diesel owners would have you beleive.

I think thats a bit of an over exageration, I mean it could be a lot better and it's pretty easy to make it better but I wouldn't say it's like a boat out the box!

I think until you have driven one which is set up you won't be able to understand the difference.

• Like 2

I asked the same question 350z vs s2k in march .... asnwered it now for myself... s2k is not even worth looking if you want a nice daily car... had a inbetween car in august, BMW Z4 - thats the right drop top - but only with 3.0 manual and sport mode :)

I only do 10miles a day so can put up with less refinement so thats not an issue for me! I ideally would want a black Z but they seem a bit more in price :(

I ideally would want a black Z but they seem a bit more in price :(

Berlina Black as it's called is pretty common really dude, you should be able to have a good choice of what's about.

My only advice would be to try and get a GT car, which comes with the hard top as these will always command a high price used and the fitting kit is expensive too, you'd be lucky to get a complete kit for under a £1000.

If I was to go again, I'd go for a Formula Red one I think.