350z vs Honda S2000

sambo

Having owned both myself you've got a difficult decision to make!

As per all above posts, the torque in the Z makes it less of an effort to get access to all the power and it is a more comfortable place to spend time in over long distances.

With a 10 mile commute each day you won't have an issue with the S2k, and vtec gets addictive especially if you bung a K&N on there. The gearbox is very precise, that's the main difference I noticed with the Z. Even with heel toe etc you just can't get through the box as quickly.

Positives for the Z are engine note (especially with HFC, Y-pipe, exhaust - £1k approx), space, comfort and looks. I had a 1999 S2k with 72k miles and mechanically it still felt like new so if it's a well looked after example that mileage should be ok. Keep an eye on that oil as they tend to go through it fairly quickly if you're using them correctly. Geometry adjustment can be a bitch as the bolts seize up and this can potentially cost £1k+ to sort.

Good luck choosing, don't think there's a 'wrong' decision!

• Like 1

I had an S2000 for 3 years, full Mugen system, coilovers, etc.. tracked it a number of times over here, Europe and the Ring.

Truly great car.

I bought a 370Z to replace it as I wanted something more comfortable and grown up.

As others have said, the only similarity is the RWD and seat number, the rest really is chalk and cheese.

Had an s2k a few years ago and now own a 350z. As everyone has said both quite different. I found the s2k was absolutely brilliant in the dry and vtec is like a drug. In the wet, however, it was very twitchy and a bit of a handful. I crashed mine in the wet whilst not even pressing on. To live with I found the s2k quite uncomfortable, but then I am 6' 4", it was also quite loud and very raw. The z is a much better gt car, not quite as agile as the honda but a lot easier to drive hard, I also like having esp after my s2k incident. The fact that I'm still here after a pretty horrendous accident does go someway to say how well the honda is built. I don't intend to find out the same in the z.

Edited by Jimmyflo

DO NOT BUY AN S2000 from a honda dealership!!!

Unless you want to have your eyes ripped out.

I came very close to being ripped off by honda in sunderland, 9,900 for a 03 average mile AP1 s2000, the car was beautiful and it was the only one anywhere near me and after test driving I put a deposit down.

Once checking the market out fully I realized the car was worth about 6,000 max.

What an utterly ridiculous post.

How on Earth was this the Honda dealers fault?

You were the one who was willing to pay the money. They can advertise a car for whatever price they like.

So advertising a car for three thousand pound over the market price and assuring customers the car is worth that when questioned it is in no way immoral?

Yes I was nearly stupid enough to buy it down to my pure lust for the vehicle after a test drive but that doesn't make lying to a customers face ok. I did my research once I got home and realized my mistake, deposit lost, lesson learnt.

What's "utterly ridiculous" is how quick you had to pipe up with an offensive reply.

what you refer to is standard dealership practice over pretty much every dealer network and car brand,

nothing new

what the customer has to do is research

its not immoral, its not illegal, its called profit. and it wouldn't work if others weren't willing to pay it.

if you don't like the price go buy it privately.

everyone says the zed sounds better, but with a good exhaust i could get a better note from the honda than i ever could from the zed.

I ran the HKS system and it was truly epic.

th_HKSExhaustswap.jpg

Not trying to be a C**K but that is like saying my car would be faster than yours if I installed a turbo. Or is your point that the exhaust sounded better than any 350z exhaust system ?

no my point was that just because its got a V6 doesnt mean its a better note (as this seems to be the main argument point for some)i'm not saying thats the best exhaust, or that thats better than a zed, i'm saying for me it gave a far better sound than the zed did...for me. having done a tunnel run with my mates zed and modified exhaust, even he and most of the others said, the s2k made a better noise.

I came very close to being ripped off by honda in sunderland, 9,900 for a 03 average mile AP1 s2000, the car was beautiful and it was the only one anywhere near me and after test driving I put a deposit down.

Once checking the market out fully I realized the car was worth about 6,000 max.

You were the one who was willing to pay the money. They can advertise a car for whatever price they like.

So advertising a car for three thousand pound over the market price and assuring customers the car is worth that when questioned it is in no way immoral?

Yes I was nearly stupid enough to buy it down to my pure lust for the vehicle after a test drive but that doesn't make lying to a customers face ok. I did my research once I got home and realized my mistake, deposit lost, lesson learnt.

What's "utterly ridiculous" is how quick you had to pipe up with an offensive reply.

Are you for real?

You lost a deposit on an over priced car because you got giddy on a test drive, and it's somehow it's anybody else's fault apart from yours?

The dealers done nothing wrong and certainly not immoral. Would you expect any seller of any item to say to you "Hang on, you can get this cheaper down the road?"

Dear lord.

what you refer to is standard dealership practice over pretty much every dealer network and car brand,

nothing new

what the customer has to do is research

its not immoral, its not illegal, its called profit. and it wouldn't work if others weren't willing to pay it.

if you don't like the price go buy it privately.

Just because they all do it doesn't exactly make it right? Sad world we live in when businesses take maximizing profits over treating people fairly. I intended paying for the car on finance and they snuck in loads of extras in the finance agreement without even mentioning them to me, they bumped the cost up by nearly a thousand pound and that thousand pound would have also gained interest. None of the information provided in the documents was clear and the APR was disgusting.

A quick google search shows loads of posts about people who have made rash decisions at car dealerships and ended up getting stung buying an overpriced car on a over priced finance rate. Just because people are stupid enough to buy a car this way doesn't make it right, not in my opinion anyway.

Anyway, all worked out in the end as I ended up buying a 350Z instead and paying with cash.

Still want an s2000 mind :surrender:

Now that I own my car outright I keep getting tempted to sell up and get one... seems pointless with winter on the way tho.

Are you for real?

You lost a deposit on an over priced car because you got giddy on a test drive, and it's somehow it's anybody else's fault apart from yours?

The dealers done nothing wrong and certainly not immoral. Would you expect any seller of any item to say to you "Hang on, you can get this cheaper down the road?"

Dear lord.

I'm not blaming the dealer for my stupidity. I have learnt from the mistake.

Stop being so offensive FFS.

no my point was that just because its got a V6 doesnt mean its a better note (as this seems to be the main argument point for some)i'm not saying thats the best exhaust, or that thats better than a zed, i'm saying for me it gave a far better sound than the zed did...for me. having done a tunnel run with my mates zed and modified exhaust, even he and most of the others said, the s2k made a better noise.

Just wasnt quite sure what you where meaning :thumbs: very different sounds, vtec and high revs or v6 low grumble. I prefer both :lol: no reference to the post but i was at knockhill today and came across this !

image_zps3d76394e.jpg

image_zpsd41b8a06.jpg

Lol, that's an Amuse kitted S2000.

Done right on and on a Time Attack, it works and looks sick.

Parked up at a circuit day in Britain with Japanese decals it looks pathetic :lol: .

I loved the sound my S2000 made, under load and all the way to 9800rpm with the roof down was so much fun.

I've posted it before in here somewhere but there's a vid of me going all out across the start/finish at Spa. I think that's the only sound video I have of it :( . Sounds good though :) .

I don't really like that :blush:

I think lose the box arch things and the weird exhaust slits and it would be quite nice looking. They could be there for function but I'm just saying looks wise. :)

Very much form over function, pretty much all wide body kits from the Japanese aero manufacturers for any model will be square boxy arches (dont ask me why, something to do with the way the air leaves the car). Personally i think they are utterly hideous, they somehow work on a track sl*g though, but they are far from pretty. There are some way out kits for Rx7's out there too :(

I have never driven a s2000 but been in plenty and although after being very impressed, i am afraid after owning a convertible before, i am just way to self conscious to own another one, plus i think s2000's actually look better with a hard top :)

Edited by Jetpilot

image_zps3d76394e.jpg

Looks like a J's Racing wide body, but ffs the point of the wideboy is you running wide and low offset wheels to give a wider track dont run a kit like this then normal flipping wheels

And front and rear chav lights ruin it

Edited by StevoD

no my point was that just because its got a V6 doesnt mean its a better note (as this seems to be the main argument point for some)

It does, but anyway .......... :lol:

I nearly bought an S2K when I got the Zed, my brother did buy one a few months later so Ive got plenty of back to back experience. Tghe S2K at maximum attack is a superb car, but can be a little too much effort to drive the rest of the time, particularly on a commute or somewhere where you arent going to be able to open it up, but this means its probably the better weekend car.

So, long story short, if you have a racetrack on your way to work go S2K, if you dont then go for the Zed, both are extremely good cars :)

Interesting that most prefer the driving experience of a s2000 over a zed, especially regarding being spirited, i would bet there isnt a lot between a zed and s2000 on track.

Having recently returned from Anglesey where we drove "spiritedly" on the way there and then on track as well, youre right, not a great deal at all. The supercharged MX5 was surprisingly similar as well :)