I thought I was a roughty toughty

ioneabee

I am a teacher and attend two camps yearly with 9 year olds at the first and 11 year olds at the second. I have found in my years doing this that home sickness generally comes about when their minds are not being stimulated and they have time to think about home - this is why you find that the late night phone call is more troubling for her.

I'm not a teacher but in the days before political correctness I once attended a children's camp in deepest Wales (actually within The EVO Triangle). I was roped in by my ex-wife as there weren't enough teachers to supervise the children on the outdoor activities. I guess the children were 8 or 9 and they were really well behaved but this was in the days before mobile phones. The centre did have a phone but the children weren't allowed to use it except in emergencies. Every thing was fine until it got dark and then the sobbing began, it was only a small number maybe 5 or 6 out of 30 but quite distressing. The thing is, most of these kids had never been away from home before but at the end of the day they all survived.

Pete

Posted (edited) · Hidden by glrnet, August 30, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by glrnet, August 30, 2013 - No reason given

When your a parent you will understand…

**** i hate that saying, so what up till then i have no concept of human nature, ive not loved and lost family or friends

Off topic sorry :blush:

Lol that's why you don't understand. You will see. You actually change as a person. When you become a parent come back and tell me I'm wrong.

Its a Get out statement like saying that offends me, it doesnt make you a better human being tho does it,

IMO anyone who says anything like come across that there a better human being than of a someone who isnt,

Some of the most influential people in the world didnt have kids, Does that make you a better person?

So i agree with Ekona, Not Saying the Op or anyone on here is like this But jeremy K regulars with 3 kids by 3 fathers that are happy for the Children to play with toasters in the bath tub Does that mean they know how to look after a child better than a Trained Psychologist/Nurse/Teacher what ever who hasnt had a child, so no the your not a parent you dont understand argument doesnt well Stand.

And think how much of a **** you will feel saying your not a parent you will not understand to a couple or individual who hasnt got the chance to have a child for any reason out of there control.

Thats why i hate that Saying

Edited by StevoD

Andy, I'm sure your daughter will tell you she actually had a great time when you pick her up. It will have been a fantastic and valuable experience for her. I really hope she gets something out of it and has enjoyed it.

I know we talked before about scooting off in the Zeds if / when she has and performances etc scheduled in the south west and you drive her down this way. I still think we should do this, there are some great roads we can enjoy.

However, now I know she's a keen percussionist. I might have to spend some ensuring she's fully appreciative of the great skills and talents of Neil Peart, Omar Hakim, Stewart Copeland, Evelyn Glennie, Buddy Rich and others!

:lol:

Actually spat beer out laughing at that ^ :lol:

Not the red wine :p

Bit too early for red wine, we do have standards you know :teeth:

Could have fooled me but I will humour you as you're a mate :lol:

I just spat my red wine out :lol:

• Like 1

Andy, I'm sure your daughter will tell you she actually had a great time when you pick her up. It will have been a fantastic and valuable experience for her. I really hope she gets something out of it and has enjoyed it.

I know we talked before about scooting off in the Zeds if / when she has and performances etc scheduled in the south west and you drive her down this way. I still think we should do this, there are some great roads we can enjoy.

However, now I know she's a keen percussionist. I might have to spend some ensuring she's fully appreciative of the great skills and talents of Neil Peart, Omar Hakim, Stewart Copeland, Evelyn Glennie, Buddy Rich and others!

:lol:

Buddy Rich!! Now there was a very talented percussionist, I once got to see him for nothing, circa 1981ish was in DisneyWorld California and he was performing in a band there on a small bandstand off the beaten track, I must have stood there for an hour, completely transfixed by the genius of the man, typically a few Americans were wondering who the drummer was, well I guess at least they recognised talent if not the man.

For the record anyone using the phrase 'roughty toughty' to describe being a bit hard nosed is immediately classified as a 'woofty bufty' :lol:

I think shorty worty is better suited :p

Seem to be a lot of people on here with drinking problems, i.e. keep spitting it out!

and a very big +1 on the 'until you have kids of your own' comment as t is very very true, if you think it isn't then you really are missing the point :wacko:

well picked her up on Friday .......................and she was heard to say to the staff "I don't think I'm ready to go yet.............."

End of week concert was brilliant followed by a quick run up to the Birmingham Concert Hall for a performance by the whole of the Childrens Orchestra (35th Anniversary) on Saturday.

The sound they produce is just astonishing - the training orchestra came on 1st - they are 7-9 yr old (some of their feet didn't even reach the ground when seated), followed by my lot (the under 11's), then the under 13's and finished with the main orchestra (under 15's)

Birmingham city centre surpised me - very picturesque - loved the Waterstones book shop (you need to look it up - it used to be a bank)

I'll post some vid links later :thumbs:

• Like 1