I thought I was a roughty toughty

ioneabee

My daughter (10 yrs old) is away in Dorset at the moment with the National Childrens Orchestra - incredible opportunity

but she's dreadfully homesick and sobbing down the phone to us - is refusing to come home though

its destroying me :dummy::cry:

My daughter (10 yrs old) is away in Dorset at the moment with the National Childrens Orchestra - incredible opportunity

but she's dreadfully homesick and sobbing down the phone to us - is refusing to come home though

How long left 'till she's back?

percussion - gloc, timps, base drum, triangle, rattely things etc etc

if you can hit it - she plays it

i'll post a short clip of her practicing

Edited by ioneabee

What did you do to make her not want to come home ??

:teeth:

Edited by djb55

:p

there's a concert at the end of the course, followed by another at the Symphany Hall, Birmingham with the whole of the youth Orchestra - she desparately wants to do these

• Like 1

there will be NO next time :wacko: - I can't stand it

just waiting for the latest update - she rings around 3:30pm and then again at 7:30pm - its the 7:30 one thats (usually) the problem

dear god - the fire alarm went off today and thats scared her silly - frightened that her most loved cuddly toy (a little rabbit) plus the phone had gone up in smoke - it was just a false alarm in a different building - nowhere near her dorm

I think the staff are getting exasperated now as well

on a plus note (through the crying) after she rang last night (again sobbing) - she said she wasn't crying going to bed, they went playing games and she was quite happy

talk about a sodding roller coaster - I now hate roller coasters

percussion - gloc, timps, base drum, triangle, rattely things etc etc

if you can hit it - she plays it

Are you sure she shouldn't be in the strings section?

She seems to be playing on your heart strings quite well!

• Like 1

just waiting for the latest update - she rings around 3:30pm and then again at 7:30pm - its the 7:30 one thats (usually) the problem

Don't answer the 7:30pm one, it's just pandering to her. She's well supervised, clearly not hating it else she'd want to come home, and not speaking to her parents for one night isn't going to hurt her.

Must be horrible for you to hear her so upset, but it desperately sounds like attention seeking to me.

Don't answer the 7:30pm one, it's just pandering to her. She's well supervised, clearly not hating it else she'd want to come home, and not speaking to her parents for one night isn't going to hurt her.

Must be horrible for you to hear her so upset, but it desperately sounds like attention seeking to me.

What is wrong with you.

Best thing is he knows best and I bet you don't even have kids.

*sigh*

No, I don't have kids. I still have an opinion, though.

Just mentioned this to the wife, she reckons it might be an idea to speak to the staff there and get them to find an excuse for the 7:30pm call not to take place for one night, i.e. a film night, or no phones after 6pm or something. Get them to take her mind off building her up for that single phone call.

So yeah, ignoring the call is probably a bit harsh, but breaking the cycle is a sound idea. She has a degree in child psychology and currently teaches primary level kids, if that allows her to have an opinion Dblock.

I'm not getting into this with you. Being a good parent and being a good teacher are both important roles in bring up children, one is no good without the other. Just because you can breed and manage to get your kids to survive, doesn't automatically make a good parent.

Not saying that ioneabee isn't a good parent though! Just saying in a more general term, is all.

I've never refereed professional football, but I can still see a clear penalty when watching it ;)

Don't get into as your wrong :-p.

Being a teacher is a job. Being a parent is a responsibility. You have a bond with those kids which is unconditional. There is no doubt your misses is a great teacher but that doesn't automatically make you a great parent and vice versa.

Is that not what I said?

You should see some of the 'parents' at her school. Sub-human scum who couldn't care less about their kids, and see school as nothing more than free daycare. The only time the kids get any attention/affection is from the teachers, TAs and mid-day assistants. Jo regularly gets in early to make breakfast (nothing more complicated than toast) for one kid as otherwise they may not get fed as the mum regularly 'forgets' to make breakfast or lunch for the child. Obviously the school ends up picking up the tab for a cooked lunch, but even so...

I bet there are plenty of teachers in that school who have degrees and could care less. The degree doesn't make you good with kids your personality does. Also it's hard to make a decision when you are emotionally attached to such item. E.g. We should all drive super Eco diesels but we don't.

I'm not saying it does but that's also an extreme side of it. Most people love there kids very much and seeing their kids in pain hurts them more than themselves being in pain. like the OP. I bet if he could feel upset instead of her he would do it. It's heartbreaking to see YOUR kid like that.

When your a parent you will understand…

I understand what your saying Dan - what should have happened from the outset is NO PHONES - you can ring your parents after say 3 or 4 days, once and thats it !!

ignorance (on the whole) is bliss

I used to be a scout leader - so know exactly whats going on there - she's having a ball, but once she speaks to us or settles down for the night - thats when it all kick off.

Dblock :thumbs:

• Like 1