Mobility Cars (Rant)!!!

stuarty

You know I got pretty pi**ed at this thread very early on. My sister was born with spinabifida as well as other ailments. Her mobility allowance was used by my parents to transport her to hospitals, schooling and trying to make her life as normal as possible.

She was bridesmaid to my aunt and she went through months of pain and discomfort to walk down the aisle with the aid of calipers.

She never asked for the disability but then she never wanted help. She was too proud, my parents needed the help.

Her life expectancy far exceeded those of her peers with similar disabilities so she must seem a huge drain on society to some of you.

My parents divorced and as my mother couldn't drive so she had to use taxis.

When I passed my test I refused to carry a blue badge even though I transported her wherever and whenever she needed me to. The mobility allowance was hers to try and give her as normal life as possible. She passed away 7 years ago now so we don't have to worry about that drain.

I myself nearly lost a foot at 17, I've since had it fused and was told I should just get a an auto license and I could also be registered disabled. I refused as I had a great role model in my sister. I passed my test in a manual and have always driven a manual. I struggle with the clutch and they never last as long as they should because of the limited movement.

My point is not everyone wants to take that cash, some have no choice and some seek it. If your "buddy" is the latter repor him, don't tolerate it and certainly don't botch about it without acting with the relavant authorities.

The above was written freehand on a phone so apologies for any typos or grammar mistakes. Oh and you probably wouldn't realise I could technically be registered disabled if you ever met me.

I'm really struggling to understand why you feel disabled people should not be allowed choice?

Read the whole thread please!

I did:- "What i mean s a car thats suitable for tat individuals needs and no more."

Simple, if you need a car fir your mobility, thats what you get, no more! All benefits are supposed to distributed wisely, so why should folk get more than they need?

The 1949.programme can't remember what channel, you'll have to google. Currently sat in a and e with my wife so not really got all the mod cons with the internet. What was interwting about the programme was that back then there was more regs to help disabled people into jobs. The guy with cp just wanted to work. And it was interesting bow they had more powers to take peoples benefits away like the other lady who on the programme was toldshe was capable of some work and she didn't want to know. What was heart wrenching was how little support there used to be for oap's although there figure show a 3000% increase in what they now get to what they used to get. And with people living longer and the health service being so good. This is why the system is under strain. I'm by no means saying we should cull the elderly and agree they've paid for and deserve their care. But the systems failed becuase they were using a 1960's for 21 century society. And now the sums don't add up. I've paid my NI but I know by the time I get there the pot will be empty. The point I'm making is it isn't the disabled crippling the system. Its the system crippling the system.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4

I'm really struggling to understand why you feel disabled people should not be allowed choice?

Umm i just read it again to be sure and read this in your opening statement.

"If you don't take the car offered, tough, get the bus!"

That suggests no choice to me.

O

Fact is, all mobility cars should be the same make and model, same colour and should also be wrapped with a big disabled logo on the side. That way they wouldn't need a daft wee badge.

Can you explain this? What a statement. Really using your ability to debate here.

Can you not see something wrong in this statement?

There used to be a car that was blue, had three wheels and was inherently dangerous, that was deemed ok for the disabled, mind you, we were still sending children up chimneys then.

I have, your first post states it, can you explain it, what about rounding up disabled people and putting them in a special, easy to recognise camp? Then we could all recognise them.

Buddy, whether you like it or not, your very first post IS offensive, how you can continue to try and justify your position is beyond me, you should be banned!

As a result of this thread i have already Pm'd all administrators to delete my membership!

Fact is, this country cant possibly keep up with the level of benefits that are provided. My position is crystal clear, if you need a car, you get it free. If you need a larger car, you get it free. If you want a sportier/ prestige car you buy it yourself, if you can afford to offset £200 per month towards a car ontop of what you already get, you should be buying your own!

As you clearly don't want to be here this thread is now locked
  • Like 6