Windscreen Wiper Arms - Respray

fellsteruk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Currently in the middle of trying this using Hammerite Satin Black. Very easy to get the blades off (5 minutes for a complete novice like myself) and I can confirm that I found the best way to be pushing down on the hinge / bend / arm of the blade to allow the main body to easily come off the screw / bolt, it then comes off easily with a bit of wiggling.

Used 240 grit and a paint scraper to get the worst of it off, then gave it a good wipe down. Used masking tape to cover the inside of the arm on the back and all of the water piping and nozzles to save me having to remove the pins and tubing. You could say I am going for a half proper, half botch job. I'm sure plenty of people will be horrified to hear of this! Currently waiting for coat 3 to dry and then I will sand it down again with 800 - 1200 grit.

Hopefully I'll add some pics and success stories later.

Thanks to all who posted so far, this forum is a good chunk of why the Z is without doubt the best car I have ever owned.

• Thanks 1

Good stuff :thumbs:

Commenting simply because it'll make this thread easier to find :lol: Only just noticed today my wiper arms are beginning to look scabby.

Good stuff :thumbs:

Commenting simply because it'll make this thread easier to find :lol: Only just noticed today my wiper arms are beginning to look scabby.

Can't wait to see what a Zed looks like with orange wipers. :lol:

• 1 month later...
Exactly what I was looking for, thank you!! This is the state of my wipers

cd4oTqx.jpg

Mate that is the same as mine haha I'm gonna get myself some paint tomorrow and get this done! Thanks for all the pics and advice!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Great Thread, I bought a 2nd set of front wipers the other week so I could take my time doing them while the others stay on the car.

Just attacked them with the Dremel as they are the same as mine (a real mess)

Has anyone attempted to remove the 'Water jet washer nozzles' from the wiper arms (2 on one arm 1 on the other), seems like they could break easily. I was going to mask them off but if I could remove them all the better job.

Any tips?

Cheers :D

Valy do you remember how you removed them?

as far as I remember you just unplug the T-piece that is on the underside of the wiper between the nozzles and then they should just slide off,after just follow the pattern of the small pipe while removing it

this might help as well

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/57062-removing-wiper-arms-for-respraying-pg-2-pics/

Edited by valy

• 3 months later...

Mine were same, did them this weekend. Sorry I didn't get a before pic but they were same as all others in this thread, I followed pretty much same process as @fellsteruk. But I started at 60grit :boxing:. Oxidisation was BAD on mine. I think satin black is the perfect finish (unless you are going super high gloss orange, haha) 

DSC_0154.thumb.JPG.f4c44887635e545c5a221ffc31303118.JPG

• Like 1