Thinking about selling up, what next ?

modd1uk

Only had the car a few months, but the mrs hasn't jelled with it at all and has therefor said " Maybe we should get rid of the 350z and buy a more driver focused car ". Needless to say i was shocked so i have been looking around auto trader and i would get an alright price for it, but what would i replace it with is the question ? Up to say 12k.

The thing is i think it would be a downgrade, shes looking at megane Rs's etc. Already have civics so they are a no go, i didn't want to go FWD either :/ Stevey said evo's are shite and the imprezas just look a bit mondeo estate ish.

Gutted mate. If I was to sell mine the only other impractical, gas guzzler I'd want is one of these.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201307217928765/sort/default/usedcars/model/mustang/make/ford/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/page/2/radius/1500/quicksearch/true/postcode/fy14qs?logcode=p

Rubbish colour but you can soon change that!

S2000 :stir:

A lot more driver focussed great handling car, space can be an issue. I had more fun in the stook than the zed. But zed was more practical. Difference in how the power is delivered really makes both cars a very personal choice. Go and try one at least before discounting it. Power isn't everything. More driver focused maybe Elise or vx. But your compromise is space and creature comforts.

Edited by rtbiscuit

Get some of the 350z's at brands harch sideways for one of their full day drift courses, then take the mrs out and ask her if that's driver focused enough?!

What does she mean by driver focused? Porsche (boxster S) might be an option but having had one in the family I don't like them at all. There's no way I'd say the z4 or S2000 were more driver focused, just different. The handling of the z4 is widely criticised. Early S2 Elise's would be in that price range and are worth a look for ultimate driver involvement, but be prepared for the repair bills.

S2000 :stir:

A lot more driver focussed great handling car, space can be an issue. I had more fun in the stook than the zed. But zed was more practical. Difference in how the power is delivered really makes both cars a very personal choice. Go and try one at least before discounting it. Power isn't everything. More driver focused maybe Elise or vx. But your compromise is space and creature comforts.

I test drove an s2000 before getting the Z. I found the s2000 excited me the most but I prefered the comfort in the Z. In the end I decided I'd pick up either car, which ever one came up for sale for a good price closest to me first. Turned out to be a Z.

I think her main concern was she feels like you can't shift fast in it, the FN2 we had both mastered fast smooth changes, in the 350 it feels like a lazy long shift if that makes sense. Installing a short shifter help with shift times ?

I love how the zed looks, and i like its lazy approach to power it just seems effortless but i would agree the changes are a little slow.

Edited by modd1uk

Get some of the 350z's at brands harch sideways for one of their full day drift courses, then take the mrs out and ask her if that's driver focused enough?!

What does she mean by driver focused? Porsche (boxster S) might be an option but having had one in the family I don't like them at all. There's no way I'd say the z4 or S2000 were more driver focused, just different. The handling of the z4 is widely criticised. Early S2 Elise's would be in that price range and are worth a look for ultimate driver involvement, but be prepared for the repair bills.

S2000 has far better steering feel and feedback, its a lot lighter and darts and brakes with a lot more ease. And because you have to use the gearbox slot to make the most of the 9000 rev range it feels a lot more driver involved. Its also more finely balanced and I'd say requires more concentration to drive. Zed is more user friendly its extra weight make it easier to catch when the back goes possibly more progressive on breakaway.

I think her main concern was she feels like you can't shift fast in it, the FN2 we had both mastered fast smooth changes, in the 350 it feels like a lazy long shift if that makes sense. Installing a short shifter help with shift times ?

I love how the zed looks, and i like its lazy approach to power it just seems effortless but i would agree the changes are a little slow.

Not really a short shifter just makes the change a hotter throw. Zed gearbox is good but its setup as a get cruiser not a race car. Good for ease of overtaking and the lack of needing to have to change gear lots and use the torque

BMW M3 is the safe bet, bags of go, hold their value well, the only downside is that they're fairly anonymous.

S2000, yeah nice car, good looking and quite rare, one of the best I've ever driven actually but a bit cramped if you're 6 foot or over.

Z4, TT as above, but not nearly as nice to drive as the S2000, quite common too.

RX8, you can get an almost new one for 10 grand, but it'll depreciate at the speed of light. Not driven one though.

Boxster, Look nice, something of a status symbol compared to the Zed, reliable, considered one myself.

Evo, Subaru, My missus wouldn't entertain one of these :lol: .

Elise, I can hardly get into one of these let alone get out again.

Pete