Can men and women ever be 'just friends'?

twobears

Just mirroring what others have said. Some of my best friends are female.

But do you want to be more than 'just friends'?

The thing is twobears, you're in to a decision point here. Is it more than 'just friends' as in "bloody hell I would!.." or "...wow, she is something else!..". The two can be extremely close or indeed, proved by interaction over time, very far apart.

There are a myriad of complexities, as you know, dependent on interpretation, inference, impression, ones social experiences as well as that of the person (male / female ) that you (or they) may wish to be 'more than good friends with'. This is true for both men / women / young / old etc.

You're at risk of over simplification or indeed underestimating the sophistication of men's emotional interaction with women. Let alone under valuing the female ability to know the exact potential impact of their behaviour in terms of love and romance, based on their long established and well recorded 'sense of intuition'

You've been asked this question before haven't you... :lol:

"You're at risk of over simplification or indeed underestimating the sophistication of men's emotional interaction with women."

I'd love to think most men's emotional interaction with women was a sophisticated and nuanced thing Bockaaarck, but, based on personal experience and most of what I've read on this thread, I just can't see it :blush: There will always be exceptions to every rule of course ...

keyboard warriors, the lot of them :lol:

all mouth and no trousers .................... hmm perhaps wrong analogy for this discussion :wacko:

Hm, it's 'my' thread and I would prefer it if trousers were kept on please :lol:

14N, we couldn't agree :blush: Not really a valid statistical sample as we were all women and only 4 of us in total but we were all trying to convince 'the other side' that we were right. I think that personal experience has a lot to do with it rather than just what people say. I started the discussion because of something that my best friend had said that had rattled me a bit :wacko:

14N, we couldn't agree :blush: Not really a valid statistical sample as we were all women and only 4 of us in total but we were all trying to convince 'the other side' that we were right. I think that personal experience has a lot to do with it rather than just what people say. I started the discussion because of something that my best friend had said that had rattled me a bit :wacko:

What did he say :snack:

I don't get burning bras. Don't they make life more comfortable for women? If not, why bother? How is that getting at men? Someone please explain.

If they wanted to get at men, why not just make the clasps even more complex?

Hm, yes, I'm not claiming to be able to drive very well but I am in possession of both sets of keys for my lovely Mr Zedders and intend hanging on to them at all costs :teeth: I think I've improved slightly since Wales too 'cos I've had some instruction - I know, I needed it :blush::surrender:

Sitting on the fence with this one. I've experienced both sides. I do have very close female friends who I have shared all kinds of experiences with (none sexual) but things in my opinion only close mixed gender friends could do without "going there". These friends are in my opinion attractive but for whatever reason I'm not attracted to them.

I've also had close female friends where either I ended up fancying them or them me where it was not recipitated and things inevitably got awkward.

It's a very fine line indeed.

• Like 1

I think alot if it is down to age. If your a young man, sexual ideas and hormones are high. You can be friends with an ugly girl, putting it bluntly, but you eont show any intrest when you have a good looking female friend that has your intrest. As soon as you get along with a girl whos good looking, ur hormones kick in.

They say males lose sex drive and by 45 you arent that fussed about your blacklisf of numbers.

Females have a higher sex drive when 40 or more.

I have female friends, but even with a girlfriend you do need to still restrain yourself from being stupid. I have other unattractive girl mates who I do speak to and have no intentions of sleeping with or flirtimg, but they try flirting with me.

I think its all about having categories. By this I mean.. if im an 8 out of 10. If im talking to a hirl 9 or 10 out of 10, u dnt want to let go an opportunity to "tap that :lol: where as if im friends with a girl 4 out of 10, theres no attraction. However, if she thinks shes a 4 and im an 8, she wont want to miss an opportunity.

With age comes sensibility, im still 24 so lack the maturity which I can admit

ddcboyle, you sound like Joe Lampton (Room at the Top by John Braine) :lol:

Not sure your age theory holds true either because my friend is a lot older than me and I'm 40 er, something and it wasn't me who made a pass :surrender:

Edited by twobears

To be totally honest, NO!

Unless she was really rough or attractive but a complete nutter!

If she was attractive and relatively sane, then i'm afraid i'd be in there like a dog eating beetroot!

Sorry, but if any man tells you different their either gay or lying through their teeth.

Human nature i'm affraid!

To be totally honest, NO!

Unless she was really rough or attractive but a complete nutter!

If she was attractive and relatively sane, then i'm afraid i'd be in there like a dog eating beetroot!

Sorry, but if any man tells you different their either gay or lying through their teeth.

Human nature i'm affraid!

Spoken like a true scotsman :lol:

Oh dear this thread is now sexist and racist.... nobody mention religion or politics please!!!!

• Like 1

Most of my friends over the years have been male, me and my best mate we're always classed as "one of the boys" to the extent we were invited on one of their stag do's, yes there were jokey and flirty moments over the years but that was as far as they ever went, I don't seem to get along too well with women, probably because I'd rather have my head in my engine bay or spend a weekend detailing rather than shopping! My old stables was full of bitchy women so I did all I could to avoid them most of the time, as I can't be bothered with all that stuff.

Vix, I am really lucky because my yard is only small and everyone is lovely. I'd hate to be on a bitchy yard because I can't relate to that gossipy culture either. If you've got nothing nice to say just shut up and ride your bloody horse I always think :angry:

• Like 1