France

snoged

off to France soon any advice on where to position the head light deflectors that are needed ? also i read its illegal to have a satnav that warns of speed cams

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travel-advice/9175899/Driving-in-France-what-do-I-need.html

(£1250.00 on the spot fine ) ! really ? is it possible to disable the cam warning on a 07 plate factory satnav ?

many thanks !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/headlight-beam-deflectors-convertors-reflectors-UK-EU-/300400926801

But these and they come with a diagram to show exact position for our type of headlight :) used them myself the last three years. yes it's true regarding speed cam locations however it is legal to use a device that warns of cameras on a known stretch of road rather than exact location. Hope this helps.

If you look at the plastic h/light covers you'll see a small moulded in dot,I think that denotes to top of the beam bender. Have some in my car somewhere,bought the two years ago,still not fitted them! Lol. DONT forget the two high vis waist coats [to be kept within easy reach] & Warning triangle.I make several trips a year and never been [caught] stopped,just keep it sensible and you'll be fine.If you venture into Belgium,the speed limit there is 70 mph,[well,thats close enough] as opposed to the 83mph in France [130 kph].We go back to Germany Saturday,8am out of Dover on DFCF,thoroughly recommend them! Tunnels great but I refuse to be ripped off!

Edited by Terence Bower

If you are using the French Autoroutes, then it is worth getting the Liber-t télépéage tag in the window. This time of year it will be a great help as the queues at the tolls can be huge.

Oh and don't forget, if travelling through Paris (most routes end up going around on the A86), then utilise the 'Duplex'

- no motorcycles, and nothing over 2m high (only brave 4x4 drivers)

http://www.tollroadsnews.com/node/3906

............... It's 10.1km long.......................

They say u need all this crap when u go over there but I took my zed to the south of france last year and no one checks! I never got pulled over so maybe they do it then but I spent a fortune getting a hi viz, first aid kit, triangle, dildos and a gag ball and no f**Ker ever checked

Take both parts of your licence, your V5 and your insurance, and make sure they're all the originals.

Unlikely you'll get stopped unless you're speeding, but if you do get stopped then you'll really want these on you. ;)

On toll roads, the coppers like to randomly stop people espically just before toll boths and ask for your ticket, each ticket has a time on when you went through the previous booth, a quick check of the time and the distance travelled means they can work out your speed between booths. The motorways are policed by the CRS not the local Gendarmarie and they can be absolute tw*ts if they want to be.

Done lots of miles in France and Europe and the best thing to do is obey all the traffic laws and you will be fine.

On toll roads, the coppers like to randomly stop people espically just before toll boths and ask for your ticket, each ticket has a time on when you went through the previous booth, a quick check of the time and the distance travelled means they can work out your speed between booths.

Have you ever had this happen to you?

I've seen it mentioned a couple of times, and the general consensus from the PH locals is that it's complete cobblers.

Never had it happen to me either, or seen it take place. What I will say though if it's an organised rally or you are going to Le Mans, the cops are all over the toll booth areas like a rash. Mainly, they hide under bushes or on top of flyovers, with radar guns and radio ahead with car descriptions, then they have you at the toll booth as you have to stop, so no chase or drama for them.

I prefer to stick to non toll roads when possible, if I do use tolls, you can still rack up a fair pace and avoid the Gendarme's.

The breathalyser usually comes in a packet of two. The kit is a requirement, but is not enforced by law (no fine) as the law was repealed. The toll booth speed check is a myth........

Was over there a short while ago, and they were picking on the Brits and checking for the hi-vis jkts - one per occupant, and within easy reach. NOT in the boot!

And of course the motorcycle cops were in short sleeves ......... no hi-vis vests.

many many thanks for all the replies (and the comical ones)! great help thanks for your'e effort just need to sort the AA cover out now ........not that i'm going to need it.............. looking forward to the road trip now :wave:

One last thing before you go... get a small label that you can stick in the car somewhere that is in your direct line of sight and write on it .... KEEP RIGHT as when you stop for petrol/coffee or a break your conc entration goes and you can find yourself pulling out onto the wrong side of the road. Its happened to me a couple of times :(