Jump to content
Rob_benton

Kids in passenger seat

40 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, veeg33 said:

From my research, any child seat that uses the seat belt to secure it on the seat will work. However, there isn't a switch in the zed that you can switch the airbag off hence making it illegal. You can remove the fuse or add a on/off switch to the airbag system, however you'll need to declare this to your insurance and I suspect they are very unlikely to accept this.

 

And for all those reason above, I'm selling my zed to get a 4-door car =(

Oh that sucks!! I have a family car but he keeps wanting to go in the zed :/ 

 

I'm not sure on the airbag situation it will deffiently need to be disabled for him tho...   

 

Thanks for the reply its very apprecaited! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't do it very often as I think its recommended that a certain height (works to like 12 yrs old) be in the back etc but you can do it as long as there in the proper car seat. I've had my 4 year old nephew out quite a few times and my niece has been out in it also. Just be careful and drive as you should and you'll be fine. You cannot plan for certain things so avoiding a crash is something you would do anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Insurers don’t care if you remove airbags. Well, sensible ones who cover mods don’t, so no issues doing that if you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, AMT said:

Don't do it very often as I think its recommended that a certain height (works to like 12 yrs old) be in the back etc but you can do it as long as there in the proper car seat. I've had my 4 year old nephew out quite a few times and my niece has been out in it also. Just be careful and drive as you should and you'll be fine. You cannot plan for certain things so avoiding a crash is something you would do anyway. 

Erm, exactly! How can you plan for the idiot to crash into you when he doesn’t look coming out of a junction, or the person who suddenly loses brake pressure? It’s not your driving that’s the issue, it’s other people.

 

Unless the child is big enough to sit in the seat normally or you disable the airbag, then taking kids out is really not a sensible thing to do. Unless it’s a totally empty airfield and you can see for miles and you’re never going more than 10mph etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughter is in the zed with me all the time as anyone who has seen me at a show knows. But she's legally tall enough to not need a booster seat. None backed booster seats fit without any trouble in the p seat for three younger daughter.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

Erm, exactly! How can you plan for the idiot to crash into you when he doesn’t look coming out of a junction, or the person who suddenly loses brake pressure? It’s not your driving that’s the issue, it’s other people.

 

Unless the child is big enough to sit in the seat normally or you disable the airbag, then taking kids out is really not a sensible thing to do. Unless it’s a totally empty airfield and you can see for miles and you’re never going more than 10mph etc

 

You can't plan it your right, but I still like to take the wee guy out for runs to go somewhere.  They can be hurt just as much in the back seat of a car as a front, as you haven't got any idea of the crash or severity of it if you have one. If you worry about the airbag then yes it can be disabled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, any crash can cause injury. However, if the airbags go off in the Zed and the child is too small to be sitting in the front seat, then the safety systems will likely do serious damage if not kill them.

 

I wouldn't want that on my conscience.

 

Just take it out or disable it, is it really worth the risk?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sitting in the front seat of a car, a rear facing child seat can only be used if the airbag can be switched off. In a vehicle where the airbag cannot be switched off and the child is travelling in a forward facing child seat then the driver must ensure that the seat is moved back as far as possible to maximise the distance between the child and the airbag.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same sort of set up and put right back in mine. I still wouldn't want an airbag in their face as can still hurt but again can remove.  I've never removed mine. 

 

Where is the fuse for the passenger airbag and what no. is it? (assuming its a numbered fuse).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AMT said:

Same sort of set up and put right back in mine. I still wouldn't want an airbag in their face as can still hurt but again can remove.  I've never removed mine. 

 

Where is the fuse for the passenger airbag and what no. is it? (assuming its a numbered fuse).

I'm not sure about the fuse... does it only affect the passenger side front airbag? There is also the curtain airbag, and the one in the seat...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Ortega_9 said:

I Think the airbag is only a problem on rear facing Child seats?

this setup works fine for me

 

 

 

IMG_3663.JPG

 

Good God man, never mind the child seat, your steering wheel is on the wrong side!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2017 at 14:18, veeg33 said:

From my research, any child seat that uses the seat belt to secure it on the seat will work. However, there isn't a switch in the zed that you can switch the airbag off hence making it illegal. You can remove the fuse or add a on/off switch to the airbag system, however you'll need to declare this to your insurance and I suspect they are very unlikely to accept this.

 

And for all those reason above, I'm selling my zed to get a 4-door car =(

Just to add to this - it's only illegal to have active airbags if the child seat is rearwards. 

 

I wonder how far the airbag deploys in the 350z and if there would be sufficient 'dead space' between the child and bag.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2017 at 17:46, Toon Chris said:

 

Good God man, never mind the child seat, your steering wheel is on the wrong side!

:stupid:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×