My Z32 SWB

Lexx

I had a set of 18" Rota drifts in Bronze sat in the garage.

Sold them about 6 weeks before buying the car as I was sick of waiting for the right one to come up!

Just ordered some pieces of internal trip. 18 yr plastic is a bit fragile and I have discovered previous owner has used load bearing blue tack in places. lol.

Gonna spend next weekend investigating the AC fault and seeing if that can be sorted.

• 2 weeks later...

0630 this morning I was at a petrol station in Hartlepool topping up before heading off to see Jeff at Zedworld.

I wanted to get a full inspection done, and conZult check. Also oil and filter change whilst he was at it.

Was nice to meet Jeff, and even nicer to find out that mechanically the car is pretty damn perfect (goosed AC aside). ConZult showed no problems, and even that it appears the car has a 16 bit ECU and that it has been mapped at some point in the past (I plan to open it sometime and see if it's been socketed and chipped).

Had a chat about the gearbox noise, and he confirmed what Paulzx had suggested to me about the gaitors. So when I got home this afternoon I proceeded to pull apart the interior.

First off I was once again staggered by the wiring mess of previous people to work on the car....I will get around to sorting it out and tidying it up once new stereo is chosen.

20130828_144655_zpse4e7897c.jpg

20130828_145205_zps7c166d49.jpg

the black wire at the top is a Nokia charge cable that's in glove box. No idea what the luminicient green one is.

Found this to be entertaining too

20130828_144952_zpsdeeece6a.jpg

Anyway, sure enough the bottom rubber had popped off and the middle one was ripped. All sorted now and cabin is lovely and quiet. My panic about needing a new gearbox was unfounded!

Postman had been whilst I was in Birmingham and had delivered these

20130828_143831_zps4b6b005c.jpg

Thanks Tarmac!

Managed to get some of them fitted. Will post pics when complete. Plan on detailing engine bay at same time.

I fall a little more in love with this car every time I take it out or fix a niggle.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Since I've had the Slicky, there has been an annoying whine when in 2nd and 4th.

It was suggested it was likely the lower shift boot had came loose.

Sure enough, when I looked into it a few weeks ago it had popped off. Placed back on and sound went away.

Driving over past few days, sound had came back. I had to take the centre trim out today anyway, so whilst there I investigated the boot again.

The lower boot had popped off again. It's slightly misshaped so I've put a couple of dabs of silicone and put it back in place. Hopefully that will hold it in place and save me having to track down a new one.

Also the middle boot rubber had a huge split in it. I had some rubber glue in the garage so I did a repair and it's bonded well. Once it's all dry, Ike her out for a drive and see what the noise is like (hopefully gone!)

20130924_112859_zps63b73d3a.jpg

There's some epic wiring bodges on this car:

20130828_145205_zps7c166d49.jpg

The above was someone attempt at installing a Nokia phone charger. I've removed it all and repaired the wiring.

Next on this morning list was to fit the Gaitors I got from Si (Mondo - Hide and Seat).

Nothing fancy, but my OEM ones were absolutely rotten.

Really pleased with the finished look. Thanks again Si. I'll be getting the knob and hand brake done in the near future.

I also changed out the centre stereo surround. The one in the car when I bought it had been sprayed blue, and it was scratched, chipped, and held in in some places with bluetak.

How it looks now:

20130924_115115_zpsab0f702b.jpg

The Pioneer stereo single Din is pretty naff to be honest, and it doesn't have a dimmer function, so it's a pain at night and the facia has to be removed. It will be for sale shortly.

So now I just need to trace all the wires and neaten them up (I hate messy wiring).

20130924_115134_zpsf2f7ca78.jpg

The rest of today is concentrating on splitting a set of rear lights for a wee project I was thinking off.

Looking great :) glad you're still enjoying the Z32 :D any more updates?

S.

None at the moment. I'm away at work for the next week and a bit.

I've just ordered a HID kit, and a bunch of bulbs and resistors to sort out some of the blown dash/pod bulbs.

Thinking of ditching my crappy MOMO steering wheel and seeing if I can make a 350z wheel fit. I know it's been done in the past, but there isn't a write up of it anywhere.

How you getting on with yours?

• 2 weeks later...

Spent a while today fitting a HID kit.

It's a 35w 5000k with slimline ballasts.

From this

20131011_112057_zps56975fe3.jpg

To this

20131011_112052_zps3674cb89.jpg

20131011_114101_zpse2f1239a.jpg

Gonna have to change the side lights/fogs now as they look way too yellow in comparison.

• 2 weeks later...

As standard, a Z32 comes with these rear lights (89-98):

KIF_4499_zps71b4a05b.jpg

The '99 spec lights, have a clear lens for the indicators, and have some pin striping across them. This gives a much more modern look.

My only issue with them is that for the entire strip there is only a single bulb. So when indicating only about a third of the block is fully illuminated.

So as a wee project at work on an evening, I took a spare pair of OEM lights I bought on eBay and converted them to 99 spec with LED indicators:

20131027_142926_zps6896e301.jpg

20131027_143021_zpsc232d3e9.jpg

Will put them in the car once I get home on leave.

The sale thread may be a bit premature.

If someone offers me the money, I'd take it. But otherwise I'll keep it. In the mean time I'll plod on with the projects I already had planned.

Already done an LED conversion on the interior clocks and the pods.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The exhaust on my 300 is essentially scrap.

I was just about to pay £800 for a system from the US as SWB exhaust are rarer than hens teeth in the UK when a breaker popped up on eBay.

£140 lighter and this arrived:

20140205_165854_zpsaxt6r2fh.jpg

20140205_165854_zpsaxt6r2fh.jpg

20140205_165817_zpssloyeejx.jpg

• Like 1