Front Lip: Options, Suggestions, Materials, Sourcing

Stutopia

Over the last month or so I've acquired a Circuit Sports carbon rear diffuser and also some fibre glass black side steps. I've not had these fitted yet as I'd like to secure a front lip first and get them all done at once (as well as a front bumper respray) so the car has a reasonably balanced look all round. I've narrowed down my lip hunt to the three pictured below, but, as modding of any sort is totally new to me, I'm hoping some of the experienced and knowledgable people here can help me out with some learner questions please.

1) The difference in quality between the carbon and fibre glass is huge, I've seen some lips in urethane, where does this fit on the quality/robustness spectrum? Is there anything that can be applied to the fibre to make it feel a bit stronger?

2) As you can see form the lips I'm looking at I would prefer to have something with ends which taper in and covers the bit of bumper under the grill. I'm not a massive fan of the huge steps which stick out on the corners on some lips. Are there any others which I should consider that aren't below?

3) Can you fit the stillen splitter without the metal support struts on the bumper? I'm not a big fan and I'm doing these mods for the look rather than the aero gains.

4) I've been googling but not had much luck find uk based suppliers, does anyone have any suggestions? I'm a bit too inexperienced to just throw a load of cash at ebay.

I'm sure you're all too familiar with these products to need the photos (I've probably grabbed the wrong ones from google images anyway) but I thought I'd include them for a visual reference to what I mean.

Mines - I really love this, but my wallet says no.

Mines_zpse42b808a.jpg

V1

V1_zps3a1a42ce.jpg

Stillen

Stillen_zps475792f8.jpg

As ever, thanks for any tips, they're always appreciated.

Ta Rich

Yes the Stillen can be fitted without the rods but doesnt cover the below grille area.

Mines I don't do

I do have the V1 lip and skits in stock.

Personally, and this is just my opinion the diffuser doesn't work on it's own on the back of a zed. It looks stuck on and doesn't flow like the rest of the car so I would highly recommend some Nismo spats to complete the look.

Drop me a message if I can help further

Ha, I knew I'd fail on one of them, I thought I'd checked but just goes to illustrate the level of knowledge I'm working with. Don't judge me too harshly please!

Tarmac, I'll be in touch.

The second that youve called a V1 is a Veilside I believe which is almost identical to the mines. Those are about it if you don't want the corners poking out at all. Check here for the Mines/VS http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/68602-350z-mines-style-front-lip-gauging-interest/

If you decide to go with the Stillen which Tarmac supplies, I'd suggest using the supports, not just for strengthening, but they look pretty cool too...

What about a seat Leon cupra splitter? It's what I have for the new bumper and allot cheaper :)

FD10678C-E321-46D3-8624-455D325875A7-1088-0000006BA93049EE.jpg

The Leon splitter must be the most used item for non Seat cars ever! Never thought of trying it on a Zed though!

Top idea Marty!

David

Marty

Very interesting. Do you have a link to the product you fitted to your z. What's the fit like ?. DIY with or without fettling ?.

Thanks

Payco

I had the Mines. You can buy it if you like:

954618_10151488279609790_842888877_n.jpg

Also, just to let you know (And im sorry Tarmac for suggesting this)

You can buy this for the same price as a lip: (Sorry bad pic, and its sitting in my junk room atm - V2 with carbon fibre lip)

28jubp.jpg

Edited by Dave-350
  • Like 1

Marty

Very interesting. Do you have a link to the product you fitted to your z. What's the fit like ?. DIY with or without fettling ?.

Thanks

Payco

I had one on my MGTF and MGZT a while back. For the TF it took a little time with a hacksaw to remove some height off the fitting posts and to cut a couple of "V shapes" to help it fit the curve of the bumper better but it really is an easy piece of kit to work with.

You will find them on ebay BUT usually it is cheaper to go to your nearest SEAT dealer and buy direct. I believe they are around the £35 mark - although they used to be about £20 till SEAT cottoned on to why so many of them were being sold for non SEAT cars!

I think I'll be getting another one and try it out on the Zed.

David

Edited by Tinyflier

Fibreglass, carbon and PU.

In terms of quality it really depends on the the manufacturer.

We personally prefer very low front lips to be made out of PU because it can take much more abuse then fibreglass and carbon because they have a lot more rebound and less brittle.

However again depending on the manufacturer. We've helped fitted many lips made in PU and most people's impression is that PU is fantastic in fit but that's not true.

Fitment can only be good if the mould and product out of it is made well but being made of PU you do have the ability to heat and re-shape certain edges which you can't do with fibreglass and carbon.

One other thing about PU is that there are many rubbish productions out there being made so thin that they droop and sag. As you can imagine, at speeds this causes it to droop and drag on the road and I've seen many being shaven away.

Worst case is if they're so droopy it's impossible to paint because the hardened paint will just crack away where it flexes so much.

The quality between fibreglass and carbon again is dictated by the finish of the fabricator. Most fibreglass products are finished in a raw or primed form as the body shop is expected to do the prep and paint work for colour matching.

We offer the choice for a black gel finish on certain parts so that painting isn't required and can be fitted straight on.

In terms of strength, the carbon is much stronger compared to fibreglass with the same density and a lot lighter. Hence the cost I suppose.

But remember with carbon, though stronger and more lush, the top coat is of a shiny brittle resin which cracks easily.

Something to think about when choosing.