Traction control issue

x20drb

Hi guys,

I have just swapped my tyres from MPSS (fairly worn) to Bridgestone RE050 on the rear and all of a sudden my traction control seems to kick in and dab the brakes at like 50/60 on B roads. It never did this before, also, seems too happen more often when I'm on cruise control

All very annoying! Amy help would be great

cheers

Dan

Hi guys,

I have just swapped my tyres from MPSS (fairly worn) to Bridgestone RE050 on the rear and all of a sudden my traction control seems to kick in and dab the brakes at like 50/60 on B roads. It never did this before, also, seems too happen more often when I'm on cruise control

cheers

Dan

Presuming they are the right profile etc

I've just bought MPSS for my rears and I have Falken 452s on my fronts. Am I going to die? The front's aren't ready to be changed yet :(

Yes you are... :stretcher:

No just kidding its not the best to be honest but I'm not going in to details, have a look around on here there's plenty of info on tyres and a sticky on mixing them.

But now i have re050 front and rear :/

So you had mixed tyres and now they are matched the TCS is kicking in? No further comment on that :lol:

Its possible the rolling radius of the wheels has been changed, either through wear or a different tyre profile, theoretically the system is sensitive enough to notice and intervene. You arent ging to die regardless of what others say, but you might find youll have to replace the fronts as well to get the radius matched back up again.

Can one of the first two posters here explain how having mismatched tyres would cause the TCS to kick in on what sounds like relatively easy cornering? The tyres will only slip when they reach the limit of grip, and with RE050A's and MPSS we all know thats pretty far out there ............. this has to be down to radius, unless hes spinning up everywhere.

• Like 2

I was sceptical of this issue but it does make the car feel a bit 'wierd' and unstable, especially in cornering. I had both Falkens, fronts 452, rears the new 453.... remedied by replacing the front also to 453. Ack, they know their stuff on here they do lol :lol:

Edited by AMT

I was sceptical of this issue but it does make the car feel a bit 'wierd' and unstable, especially in cornering. I had both Falkens, fronts 452, rears the new 453.... remedied by replacing the front also to 453. Ack, they know their stuff on here they do lol :lol:

Weird? Most likely because they where worn and your gullible.

since I put mpss on the front my TCS is on more than it was before. Dunlop sports max on the rear. it's not an issue really but a pain in the ass when it keeps coming on and cutting the power.

What? How does that make any sense?

Yeah this is very odd, because I have all the same tyre, reasonable about of tread, no @*!# tyres, all the correct profile, I can't see what the problem is.

Especially as I didn't have this problem when I did mix tyres!

Hi guys,

cheers

Dan

just turn off the traction control and get to know how the car reacts.

Just thought id chime in my Vdc kicks in alot less since i changed to mpss all round compared to the original re050. But what was really strange was some roads where the vdc kicks in on my mpss, when i turn off vdc driving exactly the same revs, gear steering angle the tyres dont spin at all, I think the Vdc is overprotective sometimes. I also tried standing start 0-60 with the new tyres and vdc kicked in on 2nd, but with it turned off wot shifting into second the tyres didnt spin at all just gripped and went, does this mean my vdc is overcautious or its settings are messed because of new tyre sizes?

Saskhi

Just thought id chime in my Vdc kicks in alot less since i changed to mpss all round compared to the original re050. But what was really strange was some roads where the vdc kicks in on my mpss, when i turn off vdc driving exactly the same revs, gear steering angle the tyres dont spin at all, I think the Vdc is overprotective sometimes. I also tried standing start 0-60 with the new tyres and vdc kicked in on 2nd, but with it turned off wot shifting into second the tyres didnt spin at all just gripped and went, does this mean my vdc is overcautious or its settings are messed because of new tyre sizes?

Saskhi

like all the systems VDC ABS etc they are over cautious, they will kick in when they "think" its about to go where most of the time theres plenty left before any locking up or slippage.

Easy one.

RE050A have less grip than MPSS. You're driving like you've still got MPSS on, which you haven't, so when you're putting the power down there's less grip available and you're spinning the rears up or otherwise making them slip/slide.

Either that, or a sensor has been damaged when changing the tyres.

Weird? Most likely because they where worn and your gullible.

Only half way, plenty of life in them, but I replaced them so all 4 were the same. Made a hell of a difference

since I put mpss on the front my TCS is on more than it was before. Dunlop sports max on the rear. it's not an issue really but a pain in the ass when it keeps coming on and cutting the power.

What? How does that make any sense?

don't know. Could well be in my head but on the Wales weekend straight line acceleration was bringing the TCS on lots more. could be that the rears have reached a point where they're grip is starting to weaken maybe. still lots of tread on em though.